GDT: Preseason Game #4 New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils Sept 30 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not a good game for us. Pretty much can take the entire squad with the exceptions of Quick, Edstrom and Mancini and send them to Hartford tomorrow....though I think Berard was maybe our best player tonight.

Othmann was awful in the first two periods. Several times he turned over pucks with east/west passes in the neutral zone leading to quick counterattacks by the Devils. His play away from the puck was atrocious. Fitzgerald for all of Daneyko's bs about him was maybe our worst defenseman when pretty much all of them were somewhere between bad and mediocre. The PTO's Erne and Bowey not impressive either.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Wow, none of these kids look remotely ready for NHL.

Particularly disappointed in Othmann who i thought was absolute ass tonight.

We do not have organizational depth at the moment. Maybe in a year from now, but currently nope.

Especially defensively.

There were no real bright spots for the kids. Maybe berard and sykora. Maybe.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
If you're gonna play with lineups like that, schedule five games. :dunno:

That was pointless.
More like don't schedule two preseason games for a team that's to play their first regular season game across the globe 3 days later. I don't know what any of them were thinking.

The game looked bad but I take nothing away from it. It was an AHL preseason game and usually those aren't broadcasted on MSG and NHL network. A bunch of those guys haven't played any games together, they probably weren't coached on much together and it sure did look like it, honestly for both teams. Anyways, this one preseason game isn't going to mean shit on how I feel about any of these players in the long run. I'll take what the likes of Othmann, Berard, Chemlar, Mancini, Scanlin, etc do in 20-40 games in HFD than what happened in this game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If you're gonna play with lineups like that, schedule five games. :dunno:

That was pointless.

I think the issue might have been the Rangers didn't want to blow out the Devils scrubs in their own rink. And FWIW before I saw the Rangers lineup I was thinking what if some guy who's never going to see the NHL in a real game does something like Pare did to Laine the other day against one of our best players. Sure we could beat the crap out of him but it would have no real effect on their real team. These lineups were pretty much because the Devils real team is in the Czech Rep.

Most of their same guys will be in the lineup tonight playing 2 in 2 and probably against pretty close to the team we're going to break camp with so I'm imagining a completely different result tonight but it's still against a bunch of mostly scrub players and other than getting our players out on the ice against something like a real NHL team it's going to be against pretty much an AHL/ECHL team. The first thing I'm hoping for is none of our guys get hurt.

Reactions: egelband

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Berard and Othmann shredding the A this year will not hurt their development.

Excited at the prospect of Ed & Mancini getting a crack at the big club.

Hope we roll the opening night squad tonight and destroy this overrated New Jersey team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Missed the game, anyone care to give any positives without sarcasm lol? It would Be greatly appreciated.
I'm not trying to be funny when I say "There was nothing positive about that game". If you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, I guess we can be positive about not getting shutout?

Some players played ok, but as a units, no line was a positive.

Othmann may have cemented his AHL start with that performance. I am 100% on the train with the JT Miller comparison now. Definitely the biggest bozo since we had Miller..

I think the issue might have been the Rangers didn't want to blow out the Devils scrubs in their own rink.
If tonight's line-up of our star players brings the same, enjoyable result, this gonna' be bad.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not trying to be funny when I say "There was nothing positive about that game". If you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, I guess we can be positive about not getting shutout?

Some players played ok, but as a units, no line was a positive.

Othmann may have cemented his AHL start with that performance. I am 100% on the train with the JT Miller comparison now. Definitely the biggest bozo since we had Miller..

If tonight's line-up of our star players brings the same, enjoyable result, this gonna' be bad.

Hopefully not----and I don't suspect it will. It's an AHL/ECHL squad and they all played the night before. It might not be Brodeur again either. They might go with Tyler Brennan this time or do half and half.

At forward--I don't expect Othmann who has played in all 4 preseason games in the lineup and I wouldn't expect Edstrom who's played in the last 3. Whether Panarin's cleared to play he and Trocheck and Lafreniere have only played once--so at least two of those three. I'd guess Chytil comes back in and probably Cuylle and Kakko with him. Rempe and Carrick have only played once so I'm kind of expecting they'll play. That's a tough quotient that the Devils just aren't going to match. The question is whether or not Mika's line and I'd think probably and probably Brodzinksi too.

Mancini's played in 3 so far too and the last two--he might be in again tonight. My guess is Mackey won't. Schneider, Miller and Ruhwedl have only played once. Fox I think will play just to see how other guys fit with him. Probably Jones too and Trouba is a possibility.

Igor I expect will at least get half the game. That team would have no business losing to the Devils team of last night and especially playing a back to back. Strange things have been known to happen though. FWIW a mark of a good team is an ability to move on from really bad games.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Wow, none of these kids look remotely ready for NHL.

Particularly disappointed in Othmann who i thought was absolute ass tonight.

We do not have organizational depth at the moment. Maybe in a year from now, but currently nope.

Especially defensively.

There were no real bright spots for the kids. Maybe berard and sykora. Maybe.
Othmann looked better playing with and against NHLers. And he's going to be a better NHLer than AHLer. It's just that way for some players. That being said, his play away from the puck needs massive improvement. There are two more preseason games, if he looks like he did against the NHL Bruins squad in those games he may stick. Otherwise injury or mid season call up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad