GDT: Preseason Game #2 Utah @ Bluesy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Watching live, I thought Perunovich looked just fine. His limitations are obvious but he made some good defensive stops and kept guys wide. Moved the puck well on the PP.

I think 6 of the D spots are obvious. Peru, POJ and Tucker are battling for the #7 spot. Maybe an extra survives if they keep 8.
I've been assuming we're going to keep 8 — sending Tucker through waivers, but I don't know who/how you're anticipating to create time for two players when Kessel and Suter are the only real candidates for swapping in/out. Suter/Kessel is an interesting pairing that I suppose you can break up to jolt the PP, but...clearly Perunovich is not going to be anchoring PP1 if he's playing every day.
Got home from the game. Some thoughts:

Parayko’s an awesome dude. My kid had a sign asking for a puck. Not only did Parayko give him a puck but he also banged on the glass a couple times and winked at him. He simply gets it. My son has a new favorite player.

Dvorsky looked ok. Some good plays but pretty clearly not NHL ready IMO.
Re: Dvorsky — Curious if you got good looks on some of those one handed and/or reaching passes he makes? The broadcast views in junior, tourney, and camp don't provide the best angles, but it has come across as a very unique skill. I said it another thread but it looks like he's got exceptional power/accuracy from every part of his blade regardless if he's reaching or jammed up.

Awesome to hear re: Parayko. My Dad is plugged into the same 'racing circle' as Parayko. The team gushes about how great of a guy he is and how far out of his way he goes to be thoughtful and just a good dude.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I've been assuming we're going to keep 8 — sending Tucker through waivers, but I don't know who/how you're anticipating to create time for two players when Kessel and Suter are the only real candidates for swapping in/out. Suter/Kessel is an interesting pairing that I suppose you can break up to jolt the PP, but...clearly Perunovich is not going to be anchoring PP1 if he's playing every day.

Re: Dvorsky — Curious if you got good looks on some of those one handed and/or reaching passes he makes? The broadcast views in junior, tourney, and camp don't provide the best angles, but it has come across as a very unique skill. I said it another thread but it looks like he's got exceptional power/accuracy from every part of his blade regardless if he's reaching or jammed up.

Awesome to hear re: Parayko. My Dad is plugged into the same 'racing circle' as Parayko. The team gushes about how great of a guy he is and how far out of his way he goes to be thoughtful and just a good dude.
Didn’t notice any one-handed passes in particular but he did make a couple really nice plays in tight coverage.

I have my complaints with Parayko’s game sometimes but as an actual person, he seems to be an amazing person.

I should note that Holloway gave my son a puck as well. Then Parayko did a couple min later so we gave the 2nd one to a kid that didn’t get one. But Parayko in particular was really seeking out each kid on the glass during warmups and giving them attention.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
The problem isn't that Yamamoto is 5'8".
The problem is that Yamamoto weigh's in at 155 lbs.
Yamamoto's not even a "heavy" small player like Dingo is. He's just tiny.
Granted he has some "buzz saw" to his game, but I've had plushie's that were more physically imposing.

All of my (seventy-three, hopefully soon to be 125. ...What? Better than spending what little money I have on crack-cocaine or heroin, right?) plushies are more physically imposing than Kailer Yamamoto.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I have my complaints with Parayko’s game sometimes but as an actual person, he seems to be an amazing person.

I should note that Holloway gave my son a puck as well. Then Parayko did a couple min later so we gave the 2nd one to a kid that didn’t get one. But Parayko in particular was really seeking out each kid on the glass during warmups and giving them attention.
Love it. I remember Berube saying that Parayko is the guy you'd want your daughter to marry.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL fan in MN

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
If we're getting a #1 overall pick, it better be in 2026 and "No-Winna-for-McKenna". Hagens seems like a very underwhelming #1 overall pick, much like Nugent-Hopkins. I get the feeling he'll have a solid, but not spectacular career.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It's a little early for 1st overall fantasies so let me throw some cold water on that right now.

Erik Johnson. A project who didn't switch full time to hockey until he was 16 years old that subsequently got outsmarted by a golf cart and later a headset that he himself accidentally dragged onto the ice. Dude is 0-2 against inanimate objects that we know of. Anyway that's what we did with our only 1st overall pick because Jarmo is dummo. Who the f*** is Tomas Kana anyway? You know?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It's a little early for 1st overall fantasies so let me throw some cold water on that right now.

Erik Johnson. A project who didn't switch full time to hockey until he was 16 years old that subsequently got outsmarted by a golf cart and later a headset that he himself accidentally dragged onto the ice. Dude is 0-2 against inanimate objects that we know of. Anyway that's what we did with our only 1st overall pick because Jarmo is dummo. Who the f*** is Tomas Kana anyway? You know?
Wasn't EJ the unanimous pick to go 1st overall? I really don't think picking EJ 1st overall warrants calling anyone Dumb. It's real easy to look back 20 years later and say we probably should have picked someone else. But at the time the draft happened EJ was ranked #1 that draft.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
EJ was the clear projected #1 that year, I was hoping we would've went with Toews though, although I understood the logic with Johnson. It would be somewhat interesting to wonder what we would've done in 2007 if we went with Toews, Staal, or Backstrom. I think it's more likely we go with a defenseman, and not Eller. Maybe we don't trade back and we fall in love with McDonagh, maybe we just draft Shattenkirk instead. Imagine a core of Toews/McDonagh/Pietrangelo, instead of Johnson/Eller/Pietrangelo.

Can't complain too much since we did get the Cup in 19 and Petro played a major part, but we certainly left a lot of value on the table in 06 and 07.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Wasn't EJ the unanimous pick to go 1st overall? I really don't think picking EJ 1st overall warrants calling anyone Dumb. It's real easy to look back 20 years later and say we probably should have picked someone else. But at the time the draft happened EJ was ranked #1 that draft.

Yes he was largely held to be the 1st overall but it wasn't universal and there were preferences for both Backstrom and Toews expressed. These ended up being slam dunk picks while taking a defenseman that didn't start playing hockey in a dedicated manner until 16 years old should have been a red flag and obvious pass due to time it would take to develop him-If he even developed. Personally I wanted Backstrom but had you wanted Toews you also would have been making a shrewd pick. Taking EJ was a gamble that we lost and his other picks blew as well but this was the crucial pick and we blew it. Let me put this in perspective for you, he took our best draft position ever and returned NOTHING where we should have made at least one BIG gain and all we got was a project D that didn't pan and a couple of players that did next to nothing with our top 3 picks at 1st, 31st and 64th. It was a big fail no matter how you cut it and squandered what should have been a foundational piece being added at minimum. Edit- Just checked to be sure but it was 6 games from Tomas Kana and 4 games from Jonas Junland and that's it. The Blues whiffed on every pick from rounds 2-7 for a grand total of 10 games played from picks outside of round 1.

So yes, I mockingly called him dummo but I'm not Monday morning quarterbacking here. I held these opinions at the time of the draft in question and have even gone into detail regarding 2006 draftee Cal Clutterbuck and how I was certain he was going to be a solid pick. I was screaming from the hill tops that we needed to take him at 31st or 64th and it turns out that would have been a very solid investment as Clutterbuck has 1,064 games and counting which is 8th most in the entire draft class.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yes he was largely held to be the 1st overall but it wasn't universal and there were preferences for both Backstrom and Toews expressed. These ended up being slam dunk picks while taking a defenseman that didn't start playing hockey in a dedicated manner until 16 years old should have been a red flag and obvious pass due to time it would take to develop him-If he even developed. Personally I wanted Backstrom but had you wanted Toews you also would have been making a shrewd pick. Taking EJ was a gamble that we lost and his other picks blew as well but this was the crucial pick and we blew it. Let me put this in perspective for you, he took our best draft position ever and returned NOTHING where we should have made at least one BIG gain and all we got was a project D that didn't pan and a couple of players that did next to nothing with our top 3 picks at 1st, 31st and 64th. It was a big fail no matter how you cut it and squandered what should have been a foundational piece being added at minimum. Edit- Just checked to be sure but it was 6 games from Tomas Kana and 4 games from Jonas Junland and that's it. The Blues whiffed on every pick from rounds 2-7 for a grand total of 10 games played from picks outside of round 1.

So yes, I mockingly called him dummo but I'm not Monday morning quarterbacking here. I held these opinions at the time of the draft in question and have even gone into detail regarding 2006 draftee Cal Clutterbuck and how I was certain he was going to be a solid pick. I was screaming from the hill tops that we needed to take him at 31st or 64th and it turns out that would have been a very solid investment as Clutterbuck has 1,064 games and counting which is 8th most in the entire draft class.
STL fans on this forum have always skewed positive on their assessment of Jarmo’s work here. But you’re right, he didn’t do a good job mostly. Took a ton of draft capital and turned it into a ton of 1st- and 2nd-round exits. His main weakness always seemed to be good international tourney performances. You look at guys like Kana, Wannstrom, etc who didn’t work out, and we usually took them because they had good WJC18 performances that far outpaced their actual regular season production. He took big gambles on upside, and it was rare that those swings worked out relative to the draft position.

The 2019 cup team was more of Bill Armstrong’s doing than Jarmo’s.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
STL fans on this forum have always skewed positive on their assessment of Jarmo’s work here. But you’re right, he didn’t do a good job mostly. Took a ton of draft capital and turned it into a ton of 1st- and 2nd-round exits. His main weakness always seemed to be good international tourney performances. You look at guys like Kana, Wannstrom, etc who didn’t work out, and we usually took them because they had good WJC18 performances that far outpaced their actual regular season production. He took big gambles on upside, and it was rare that those swings worked out relative to the draft position.

Jarmo drafted Petro, Binnington, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Allen, and technically Perron. To downplay his role on the 2019 team is just silly.

I'd agree Bill was better, but the Cup team had Jarmo, Bill, and mostly Doug written all over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I just can't agree with this when around half of the core were Jarmo picks almost 10 years after his departure. Jarmo obviously had more to work with (though there was also more time to move from his picks), but his picks in the top half of the lineup were Parayko, Binnington, and Dunn vs Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Tarasenko, & Perron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad