GDT: Preseason game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7pm stream on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I mean the Secondary Smith was a joke that I still don't get how people didn't realize was a joke in the context. He had a not very impressive start of the year then completely dominated for 4 months and was playing at a level higher than Celebrini was during the same timeframe.
I don't have a problem with it, but just feedback for you, I don't think your jokes come across as jokes to most people most of the time. Maybe a little too dry for written internet humor.
And don't really know what you're talking about with rolling 4 lines, but depth was BC's biggest weakness by far last year. The bottom 6 minus Malone only combined for 12 goals on the year, and when Perreault went out they got absolutely nothing from anybody besides Smith, Gauthier, and Leonard besides Malone having a good game against UConn.
I mean they literally rolled 4 lines last year. I must have watched like 10-15 of the games, including all the big ones, and they very rarely moved off their 4 line rotation. It was almost always Cutter's line, Smith's line, then the next two lines in order. When Perreault was injured, it was still a 4 line roll. I know this because I would typically skim thru the non-Smith shifts. EDIT: because I can see what's coming next... OF COURSE the scoring was top heavy. That's hockey. However the 3rd and 4th lines were still solid puck possession lines. BC rarely got caved in. And the lines were rolled.

I didn't say puck hog I said puck dominant, which is exactly how Toffoli described his game a couple days ago?
I mean, in the same series of posts you compared Smith to Curry, best shooter of all time, maybe one of the best players of all time, and Celebrini to Westbrook, a very good but nowhere near historical player. You can't expect people to take you seriously when in one sentence you say "I was making a joke with the Secondary Smith thing for two months, duh, how come people are so dense" and then you make that kind of comparison in good faith. Unless it's also a joke, in which case, it seems like everything is a joke, which again is fine, but in that case, don't expect anyone to take anything you say seriously.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I mean the Secondary Smith was a joke that I still don't get how people didn't realize was a joke in the context. He had a not very impressive start of the year then completely dominated for 4 months and was playing at a level higher than Celebrini was during the same timeframe.

Just thought it was funny how people were acting like they are incomparable as players when Smith slapped around Celebrini in the HockeyEast finals.

And don't really know what you're talking about with rolling 4 lines, but depth was BC's biggest weakness by far last year. The bottom 6 minus Malone only combined for 12 goals on the year, and when Perreault went out they got absolutely nothing from anybody besides Smith, Gauthier, and Leonard besides Malone having a good game against UConn.

I didn't say puck hog I said puck dominant, which is exactly how Toffoli described his game a couple days ago?
BC slapped BU in the finals, they had a much better team

The are not and have never been comparable talents, Smith scored more points playing easier minutes with better linemates on a deeper team (and again is considerable older, Celebrini was 17 for his entire freshman season) but he has never demonstrated the level of commitment to defense that Celebrini has, Smith cheats for his offense and still only scored 7 more points in a far more advantageous situation and environment

Celebrini is not puck dominant, however, he simply commands touches by constantly being available and in position to recieve pucks in dangerous areas, but he doesn't monopolize possession, if anything he is unselfish to a fault

Reactions: Sandisfan

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
BC slapped BU in the finals, they had a much better team

The are not and have never been comparable talents, Smith scored more points playing easier minutes with better linemates on a deeper team (and again is considerable older, Celebrini was 17 for his entire freshman season) but he has never demonstrated the level of commitment to defense that Celebrini has, Smith cheats for his offense and still only scored 7 more points in a far more advantageous situation and environment

Celebrini is not puck dominant, however, he simply commands touches by constantly being available and in position to recieve pucks in dangerous areas, but he doesn't monopolize possession, if anything he is unselfish to a fault
I mean Smith scored 4 goals while Celebrini did absolutely nothing until the game was already over.

Celebrini got plenty of easy matchups as well, and like I said earlier played 5 more minutes per game than Smith did. I guess the stamina to play that many minutes is impressive, but per minute production is important and Smith's was well clear of Celebrini last season.

We're talking about their play last year, I have no idea why you keep bringing up age.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Maybe because one of them was 15 months younger than the other?
I have never once said Smith is a better prospect than Celebrini, that person was just trying to argue that last season Smith at no point ever played as well as Celebrini which is just factually untrue.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If you're willing to divorce team context and deployment from the equation then you can argue Smith was better because he scored more points

If you're looking at the larger picture Celebrini was considerably better at every point of the season because he had more responsibility on a much worse team and scored at a comparable rate while also playing defense, something Smith does not do

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I’m looking at the terms and conditions for the coupon from last night. Minimum purchase of $1.
Nice! Thanks!

Wonder what you can get for a dollar at Taco Bell... 59, 79, 99 cent menus are long gone. Only 3X as much these days... On their "value" menu they've got a "cheesy roll up" for 1.49.

Taco Bell should have sponsored Brent Burns' "starfish" maneuver as the "cheesy roll up" maneuver. Or, those walk up tweets from the Sharks with the pics of Sharks players in suits pre-game could also be labelled "cheesy roll up," Taco Bell's marketing dept sleeping on the job. :sarcasm:

1727289840222.png

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I mean Smith scored 4 goals while Celebrini did absolutely nothing until the game was already over.

Celebrini got plenty of easy matchups as well, and like I said earlier played 5 more minutes per game than Smith did. I guess the stamina to play that many minutes is impressive, but per minute production is important and Smith's was well clear of Celebrini last season.

We're talking about their play last year, I have no idea why you keep bringing up age.
This is why I wish there was accurate TOI data for juniors and college players. So much of scoring is opportunity. If Smith really did play 5 minutes less per night than Celebrini or when Eichel played then his season is a lot more impressive. TOI matters so much when comparing players. I’m sure the NHL teams track this for the players they scout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad