GDT: Preseason game 2: Sharks vs. Ducks 7pm stream on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Smith looks a bit nervous out there. Waiting and not reacting fast enough. Hopefully he gets more comfortable fast
It took him a bit to get used to college hockey last season, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took him a few months to get acclimated to the NHL. And that's okay. Luckily for us this is gonna be a development year and the pressure is low. Fully expect him to impress in the coming months

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It took him a bit to get used to college hockey last season, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took him a few months to get acclimated to the NHL. And that's okay. Luckily for us this is gonna be a development year and the pressure is low. Fully expect him to impress in the coming months
The best thing to happen to smith was Celebrini coming to San Jose. There’s absolutely no “rookie savior” pressure that probably would have been sent his way if he was the only big addition.

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
The best thing to happen to smith was Celebrini coming to San Jose. There’s absolutely no “rookie savior” pressure that probably would have been sent his way if he was the only big addition.
Can't agree with this any more. Out of anyone we could have drafted last draft and in the foreseeable future Macklin was the perfect foil for Smith. Now like you said, Smith can find his groove without the weight of the franchise on his shoulders.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Smith definitely showed off a lot of his ability in this one, he's super deliberate and composed with the puck on his stick and makes plays with confidence, the problem is he's a full step slow when making these plays at NHL game speed, he'll need to get some reps under his belt before he's able to process and react to the game at this level but that's okay and totally normal, it would be weird if he WAS ready to do that at this age, Celebrini is weird

The performance I was most impressed with tonight was Jamal Mayers, I remember seeing him on NHL Network when he was first breaking into broadcasting and it was painful, he's not revelatory by any means but he was shockingly adequate, I'm happy to see him in a comfortable groove

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think people (me included) were sort of subconsciously expecting a Celebrini-like performance from Smith, purely because they’re our 2 big stars. As I was watching (thanks everyone for the help) I had to go, ohhhh yeah, Celebrini is an aberration. I suspect he’s going to be a 1C much quicker than we expect and have a really good season. I think Smith will have a season that’s closer to Eklund’s — start slow, figure it out as he moves along.

That said, he didn’t look bad or anything, just sort of nervous and periodically sloppyz Most of the team looked sloppy, though. I think Bystedt and Goosh looked very good but that’s also because they have familiarity with each other. You could tell the other lines were fairly out of sync and still learning each other.

it’ll all take time but this team is going to be both wildly frustrating and super exciting to watch next year… which is a significant upgrade from last year…

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I mean Smith was given a much smaller role tonight than Celebrini was on Sunday. The PP wasn't running through him while Macklin was running the PP and hogging the puck all night.

Smith was just better than Celebrini for a big chunk of the season last year.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think people (me included) were sort of subconsciously expecting a Celebrini-like performance from Smith, purely because they’re our 2 big stars.
+1, I think celebrini's dominance in his first preseason game plus the marketing of the two simultaneously has my priors whacked (even though I've watched some BC games, etc.) --- they're both literal children so who knows how it will play out in the long term.

I mean Smith was given a much smaller role tonight than Celebrini was on Sunday. The PP wasn't running through him while Macklin was running the PP and hogging the puck all night.

I missed the first, but didn't they start smith on PP1 and then PP1 became PP2 over the course of the game?

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
+1, I think celebrini's dominance in his first preseason game plus the marketing of the two simultaneously has my priors whacked (even though I've watched some BC games, etc.) --- they're both literal children so who knows how it will play out in the long term.

I missed the first, but didn't they start smith on PP1 and then PP1 became PP2 over the course of the game?
Was on the first PP but wasn't on the left side halfwall like he always is, and barely got to touch the puck.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Smith was the 2nd line center on a much deeper team and is 15 months older (which is a huge difference at these developmental ages) while Celebrini was the offensive centerpiece of his team and was the youngest player to ever win the Hobey Baker, they are not and have never been comparable levels of prospects

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Yeah, I think Smith is going to perform about as well as everyone assumed he would - 40ish pt season, gets better and better through the season. Celebrini is so f***ing good that I wouldn’t be surprised if he broke 60 pts. The kid is amazing.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Smith was the 2nd line center on a much deeper team and is 15 months older (which is a huge difference at these developmental ages) while Celebrini was the offensive centerpiece of his team and was the youngest player to ever win the Hobey Baker, they are not and have never been comparable levels of prospects
I didn't say he was a better prospect, I said he was playing better for a big chunk of last season when BC was absolutely dominating.

A lot of people acting like their performances being different is because of Celebrini just being than much better, rather than their deployment so far are wrong.

And Celebrini winning the Hobey over a guy who outproduced him while playing 5 fewer minutes per game and on a team that was the best NCAA team in two decades in large part because of him was silly in the first place.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Only casually watching (the joys of working whilst having the game on the phone to the side), but some thoughts:
  • Will Smith - seemed very tentative and I think there could be a pretty big learning curve for him. Showed some brilliant vision, but just seemed a bit over-awed by the situation.
  • Walman - 0.26 expected goals against in 13 minutes of 5v5 is a real positive (granted not the strongest Ducks line up). Will easily be the Sharks best Dman.
  • Grundstrom and Wennberg - liked what I saw from both. Will be interested to see how they work as a 3rd line without Toffoli.
  • Guschin - Liked his jump, his engagement on the boards, and such a nice goal. I think he has a good shot at being in the lineup out of camp.
  • Bystedt - Looked pretty solid. Think a strong AHL season is ahead for him.
  • Zetterlund - Probably not the greatest of first games, but hopefully got the cobwebs out. On a line with a tentative Smith and Goodrow probably wasn't exactly a nice way to ease in.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I don't understand the preseason fights. They all seem so telegraphed.

Hello San Jose community. we're not sure if you will like hockey, so lets start with a fight and go from there.

Happy Neighborhood game everyone.
If you are a borderline player in the organization, who are you trying to impress by getting into a fight right at the beginning of the game before anyone has even had the opportunity to offend anybody?

Last edited:
Reactions: fasterthanlight

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I didn't say he was a better prospect, I said he was playing better for a big chunk of last season when BC was absolutely dominating.

A lot of people acting like their performances being different is because of Celebrini just being than much better, rather than their deployment so far are wrong.

And Celebrini winning the Hobey over a guy who outproduced him while playing 5 fewer minutes per game and on a team that was the best NCAA team in two decades in large part because of him was silly in the first place.
Will Smith scored more points, he was not the better player, he wasn't even the best centerman on his own team

Celebrini scored 7 fewer points in 3 fewer games while actually shouldering 1C responsibilities and playing with a true defensive conscience, he had much less advantageous deployment than Smith who spent the entire season playing under Cutter Gauthier who finished 2nd in league scoring while Celebrini's highest scoring teammate was tied for 11th, Celebrini absolutely deserved the award as much as anyone else, he did more with less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad