GDT: Preseason game #2 Habs vs Devils 7PM ET RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Haven't seen either of the games, which game had better PP? Of course no PP goals yet but puck handling, shots etc?
Against the devils the players were all playing in different spots than what they played last season.

+ Matheson was doing Matheson things

Also Suzuki was pretty unlucky today lots of bouncing pucks all game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes PP1 unit should be: Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Laine and Hutson.

Laine playing point with Hutson and Suzuki and Caufield on the half walls? Slaf in the middle?

I wonder how Laine and Hutson would do as the last two back. One thing about the PP is we have to stop allowing goals against. We allowed a fair amount last year didn't we?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Laine playing point with Hutson and Suzuki and Caufield on the half walls? Slaf in the middle?

I wonder how Laine and Hutson would do as the last two back. One thing about the PP is we have to stop allowing goals against. We allowed a fair amount last year didn't we?

Yes Laine and Hutson at the point. Laine has played the point a lot on the PP. He's got a bomb of a shot.

All 3 of the other forwards are capable of moving around. Plus all 3 can shoot and pass the puck very well.

It's always a risk to have 4 forwards on the PP, but I prefer that approach.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
To this writer, Beck was the best player on the ice tonight as he showed excellent skating, strong board work, relentless pursuit of the puck, good offensive positioning/anticipation and an excellent release. Beck will quickly prove to all that he is no mere 4th line center.

Both Beck and Kapanen will force Hughes to make some hard roster decisions this year as both will prove that they can already play, and play well, at the NHL level.

As for Florian, after a tentative start, he started to come on and assert his presence on the ice with his strong play along the boards, his hand skills and playmaking. But for him to make the NHL Florian is going to have to improve his lateral skating ability as he is far too rigid. The penalty he took was as a result of this limitation in his skating ability. But Florian showed that he has the size and skill to impose his will on the flow of a game and while its highly probable that he will be sent to Laval for further development of his game, his eventual call up to the Canadiens is only a matter ot time.
Beck already carries himself like a pro & never cheats a shift.

IMHO, FX’s game needs work along the edges and he’ll benefit from a regular shift of in Laval. Once he develops inate confidence in his abilities, he’ll be fun to watch on our bottom 6.
Cheers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes Laine and Hutson at the point. Laine has played the point a lot on the PP. He's got a bomb of a shot.

All 3 of the other forwards are capable of moving around. Plus all 3 can shoot and pass the puck very well.

It's always a risk to have 4 forwards on the PP, but I prefer that approach.

I'm sure they try it as well as many other different combo's. It will take a while for the roster to stabilize

Reactions: Tuggy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes PP1 unit should be: Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Laine and Hutson.

For me it should be Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Newhook and Hutson.

Newhook is the best option we have right now to play the bumper position. Suzuki and Slafkovsky can rotate on the half wall, Caufield is the one timer threat from his off-side while Slaf is a one timer threat from his off-side.

Reactions: Tuggy and Pazucha

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
For me it should be Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Newhook and Hutson.

Newhook is the best option we have right now to play the bumper position. Suzuki and Slafkovsky can rotate on the half wall, Caufield is the one timer threat from his off-side while Slaf is a one timer threat from his off-side.

That could work leaving Laine to play with Dach on PP2.

They'll need to try some different configurations to see what works.

If this team wants to compete, then the PP can't continue to be near (or at) the bottom of the league.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
That could work leaving Laine to play with Dach on PP2.

They'll need to try some different configurations to see what works.

If this team wants to compete, then the PP can't continue to be near (or at) the bottom of the league.
Yesterday, there were a couple of PPs where players were moving/changing positions a lot.
That was interesting, a change compared to the last year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I guess we should be happy Suzuki demonstrated his ability to score while playing his C game. :D
I like the fact that he's starting to score those types of goals. I mentioned it last season.
Those redirects off to the side are just more ammunition he scored a couple like that and also dinged a post dead on.
Hutson will find him there every time he's open.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No team in NHL history has ever won every pre-season game, every regular season game and every playoff game in one same year without a single loss.

We have a shot!!!

2 down - a bunch to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad