GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Oh man. Who knew whole NHL careers are made or broken in one preseason game? Maybe we can just let the preseason play out before we completely write off Musty? It was always a stretch for him to be NHL ready this season, if he ends up going back to junior it just means he’s about where he’s been projected to be for his development.

For me nothing has changed. Still an exciting prospect, still someone who looks like a future contributor, still has stuff to work on.
Who's writing him off? He didn't look ready. He should get one more chance to impress hopefully in one of the last three preseason games after all the riff raff (vanroboys, et al) is sent down. If he does, then one more after that. If not, then back to juniors and we'll see you at age 20, ready for the pro game.

I think the overarching feeling is a bit of disappointment (or at least it was for me). I wanted to see him take over the game last night, or at least make a clear positive impact. It just didn't happen and he made some poor defensive plays that yelled out "not ready yet". I had fantasies (i guess perhaps thats what they are) of musty making the team alongside smith and celly and the three them being among the top rookies in the league and really filling out the top 9. So watching him struggle was a bit of a pin prick to that balloon. No books closed on this season just yet, but last night didnt help the cause.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
When the guy followed up with a now deleted by mods post overtly stating the accusation in a non sarcastic tone it was not a joke.

With that said there are many people who are over reacting to a single game where Musty was not playing with skilled players.

Musty has to hit his offensive ceiling to even make the NHL because he had no “B” game. I think he is either out of the league or a PPG wing. I don’t see many other alternatives for him.
You cannot infer the tone of a post and that kind of presumption is indicative of someone looking to get upset about something. I would recommend asking for clarification if you have any doubt about the poster’s intent instead of going on the attack. Most of us assumed it was a joke, but if you aren’t sure, you can either ignore it, or ask.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
The criticism for Musty in here is way over the top. His two veteran linemates were just as bad as he was and he was starting in the D zone for basically every shift he was out there.

If being in the NHL is what is best for his development he should be in the NHL, even if he is setting the world on fire.

Who's writing him off? He didn't look ready. He should get one more chance to impress hopefully in one of the last three preseason games after all the riff raff (vanroboys, et al) is sent down. If he does, then one more after that. If not, then back to juniors and we'll see you at age 20, ready for the pro game.

I think the overarching feeling is a bit of disappointment (or at least it was for me). I wanted to see him take over the game last night, or at least make a clear positive impact. It just didn't happen and he made some poor defensive plays that yelled out "not ready yet". I had fantasies (i guess perhaps thats what they are) of musty making the team alongside smith and celly and the three them being among the top rookies in the league and really filling out the top 9. So watching him struggle was a bit of a pin prick to that balloon. No books closed on this season just yet, but last night didnt help the cause.
Yes your fantasies that the worst team in the cap era would magically be competing this season without adding any massive impact players was exactly that.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Musty is never going to shine next to Sturm and Dellandrea. He needs to play with top 6 players to shine. During preseason they should try Musty next to Smith and Zetterlund or next to Celebrini and Toffoli. I think he would make those lines click even better in the O zone.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Musty is never going to shine next to Sturm and Dellandrea. He needs to play with top 6 players to shine. During preseason they should try Musty next to Smith and Zetterlund or next to Celebrini and Toffoli. I think he would make those lines click even better in the O zone.
Warsofsky said to the media that Musky’s offense shows but his game without the puck needs improvement. He’s not making the Sharks until he develops a B game. Nico Sturm is EXACTLY who he needs to be with on the ice.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Warsofsky said to the media that Musky’s offense shows but his game without the puck needs improvement. He’s not making the Sharks until he develops a B game. Nico Sturm is EXACTLY who he needs to be with on the ice.
Smart coaches play to a young player's strengths, dumb coaches try to make young players' into something they aren't.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Smart coaches play to a young player's strengths, dumb coaches try to make young players' into something they aren't.
That's kind of an empty statement, no? I could just as easily say:

"Smart coaches make a player work on his flaws; dumb coaches accept that a player will never change."

Nice aphorism, but meaningeless.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Some of yall are impulsive af. Give Musty and Sam some time. Yeesh.

And suprise suprise, we’re still going to lose a lot of games this season. We are not the competitive team yet. I’ll be surprised if we’re not in the bottom 5. I actually still hope we are. We’re not done drafting our core yet. And we don’t get these opportunities to draft in bottom 5 all that often at all so while we’re here, embrace it.

Simmer your expectations a bit and enjoy the slow growth from here on out. Rebuilds that sell the farm like we did take time, and young players also take time to make the shift to the big club. We may score more goals but we’ll probably still let a lot in.

Flip Musty for a 7th? Are you kidding me? We need to move on?? Wow…I’m glad you’re not our GM.
Pretty sure he was joking

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm not writing Musty off but I think we're seeing why he fell to 26th overall and our expectations for him should be in line with players drafted in that range.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I'm not writing Musty off but I think we're seeing why he fell to 26th overall and our expectations for him should be in line with players drafted in that range.
I dunno. He still put up 100+ pts in his D+1 year. He also dominated the rookie faceoff and has looked good in prospect games.

He’s not ready yet, most likely, but he’s still got star potential. 26th overall pick don’t usually get legit nhl looks at 19. Bystedt was similar range a year earlier and musty was ahead of his curve and is a much more exciting prospect.

Musty could still end up a legit top 6 forward a year or two from now. His game isn’t yet well rounded but that sure doesn’t mean it won’t be. It’ll be up to him….

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I dunno. He still put up 100+ pts in his D+1 year. He also dominated the rookie faceoff and has looked good in prospect games.

He’s not ready yet, most likely, but he’s still got star potential. 26th overall pick don’t usually get legit nhl looks at 19. Bystedt was similar range a year earlier and musty was ahead of his curve and is a much more exciting prospect.

Musty could still end up a legit top 6 forward a year or two from now. His game isn’t yet well rounded but that sure doesn’t mean it won’t be. It’ll be up to him….
An offensive winger should score at a 100+ point pace in his D+1 season in junior hockey if he wants any chance of a meaningful NHL career. It's obviously a good sign that Musty's scoring didn't regress from his draft year but he just did what was expected of him.

Maybe he has star potential but what if it isn't fulfilled? Is this a player who can be effective in a bottom six role? I'm not seeing it.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
An offensive winger should score at a 100+ point pace in his D+1 season in junior hockey if he wants any chance of a meaningful NHL career. It's obviously a good sign that Musty's scoring didn't regress from his draft year but he just did what was expected of him.

Maybe he has star potential but what if it isn't fulfilled? Is this a player who can be effective in a bottom six role? I'm not seeing it.
Definitely a wide range of outcomes between "star" and "bottom six." In fact, I'd put money on him landing somewhere in that soft middle belly of possibilities (which, especially if he's a good PP contributor, would be a pretty strong outcome for 26 overall).

He certainly also fell in the draft due to mono in his draft year bringing down his numbers. Not sure how much, but I'm sure it played a part.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Definitely a wide range of outcomes between "star" and "bottom six." In fact, I'd put money on him landing somewhere in that soft middle belly of possibilities (which, especially if he's a good PP contributor, would be a pretty strong outcome for 26 overall).

He certainly also fell in the draft due to mono in his draft year bringing down his numbers. Not sure how much, but I'm sure it played a part.
One-dimensional second line winger is a strong outcome for 26th overall but it's not going to move the needle on our rebuild. If that's the most likely outcome hopefully we can trade him for a defenseman or something ASAP.

Musty played more than enough games in his draft year for teams to have a fully informed evaluation of him. He was a very high profile prospect as an OHL 1st overall pick. He probably fell because he's not remotely a power forward despite his size and is a liability without the puck.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
One-dimensional second line winger is a strong outcome for 26th overall but it's not going to move the needle on our rebuild. If that's the most likely outcome hopefully we can trade him for a defenseman or something ASAP.

Musty played more than enough games in his draft year for teams to have a fully informed evaluation of him. He was a very high profile prospect as an OHL 1st overall pick. He probably fell because he's not remotely a power forward despite his size and is a liability without the puck.
You are obsessed with trading Musty for a random, likely bottom pairing damn.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Seems like you're too attached to his draft position.

What I'll say is that if Musty doesn't have more dimensions to his game, he's going to have to be a very dominant perimeter scoring forward to make the NHL.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You are obsessed with trading Musty for a random, likely bottom pairing damn.
Was thinking more like Musty, Ferraro and picks for someone like Byram or Miller next summer.

Seems like you're too attached to his draft position.

What I'll say is that if Musty doesn't have more dimensions to his game, he's going to have to be a very dominant perimeter scoring forward to make the NHL.
He was drafted like 14 months ago. His draft position is still a very meaningful data point on how the league as a whole values him.

The second sentence is all I've really been trying to say. And it's not impossible that Musty actually does become that dominant perimeter scorer but I don't think that kind of player helps you win in the playoffs.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I just think you're talking with too much certainty about what he will/can be versus what he is. We all know he's not a power forward now, we all know he's weak without the puck. But he also just turned 19, he's never been asked (or at least not asked hard enough) to do more than be great at what he does--because he's done that so well.

But there's nothing to say he can't/won't hone those other aspects of his game over the next few years. It's likely to require patience, but when your team is where the Sharks are right now--and he's only 19--you can afford to be patient.

Look, if there's a trade that makes sense, go ahead and do it. But in all likelihood Musty's ceiling is higher as of now than that of a player they could acquire for him (who's young enough to make sense with the team's timeline). So the best we can do right now is probably hope he gets a trade into a better program for his junior season, and starts to improve some of the weaker aspects of his game, and then joins the Barracuda next season and ramps up the development even more while showing he can produce against adult men.

No reason to stress prematurely about the kid's path at this point.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Some of yall are impulsive af. Give Musty and Sam some time. Yeesh.

And suprise suprise, we’re still going to lose a lot of games this season. We are not the competitive team yet. I’ll be surprised if we’re not in the bottom 5. I actually still hope we are. We’re not done drafting our core yet. And we don’t get these opportunities to draft in bottom 5 all that often at all so while we’re here, embrace it.

Simmer your expectations a bit and enjoy the slow growth from here on out. Rebuilds that sell the farm like we did take time, and young players also take time to make the shift to the big club. We may score more goals but we’ll probably still let a lot in.

Flip Musty for a 7th? Are you kidding me? We need to move on?? Wow…I’m glad you’re not our GM.
Grier should be investigated and potentially kicked out the league for sabotaging our rebuild with the Musty selection. :sarcasm:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

So he's Jake DeBrusk instead of David Pastrnak. That's still a valuable piece to have if he's paid appropriately. Unless Columbus is trading Jiricek for him straight up, not sure what trading him for a bottom pairing D-Man does for our rebuild any more than having a DeBrusk level winger.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So he's Jake DeBrusk instead of David Pastrnak. That's still a valuable piece to have if he's paid appropriately. Unless Columbus is trading Jiricek for him straight up, not sure what trading him for a bottom pairing D-Man does for our rebuild any more than having a DeBrusk level winger.
DeBrusk goes to the dirty areas, is pretty physical and is genuinely useful defensively. We should all be thrilled if Musty turns into DeBrusk but from what I've seen he doesn't play the same type of game at all.

Of course Musty isn't getting you anything straight up but maybe he can be the Conor Geekie in a package for a Sergachev-level defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad