GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Honestly watching Kostin out there made it clear to me that we need to split up the Lund line. The #1 priority this season is developing Celebrini/Smith and we have four other forwards with top-9 offensive talent; we need to allocate as many of those as necessary to help further that developmental cause. The Lund line is awesome but what’s most important that Celebrini/Smith can pass the puck to guys who aren’t Kunin/Kostin fumbling and turning it over at every opportunity.
I’d imagine he’s on that line to help prevent teams taking liberties with Mack

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
went to the game, so great to be back at the tank... here at the thoughts:

1. Celebrini is for real. Its not just the goal and assist: his anticipation, his passing, his skating, his shot, his ability to find space, and his IQ .... its all there.

2. Every other high end prospect fumbled. Dickinson was god awful. Musty was terrible. Graf was mediocre at best. Cagnoni was moderately interesting and I liked his aggressiveness, but much to learn.

Basically, no one but celebrini looked clearly NHL ready.

3. we need one more NHL winger to be competitive. Just one more top 6 winger. Kostin aint gunna cut it. Toffoli looks great. Eklund and granlund looked good, but that was it. Not impressed by dylandrea in his first look. I know its just one game, but you can see it...

4. Warsofsky's post game presser was perfect. Its a learning curve. Dick, musty.... these guys are 18/19 years old and the game is faster here. They have the raw tools but speeding up your brain takes time. Dick is clearly going back to london. Musty took a step back to sudbury (or wherever he lands in the O). Nevertheless, warsofsky is clearly a good teacher and ill be interested to watch as camp progresses...

5. On the unfortunate side, I also saw a lot of last year in this game. 10 shots in the first two periods. Very little Ozone possession time. It was familiar, and the sharks had most of their lineup playing (Wennberg, walman, zetterlund, Smith, and Benning were the only somewhat 'main' guys out), while VGK played a pretty much exclusively rookie lineup other than a few depth guys lik hutton or howden. Still vegas vastly outplayed us and nearly doubled up the shot total. Thats depressing when a mostly NHL team plays a junior/ahl team and loses. Warsofsky has his work cut out for him...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I kind of want to try Goosh on either Celebrini or Smith’s line. He’s smart and I think he’d put in their passes. Bords would be interesting to try too. Kostin isn’t it, anyway, I think he should be on the 3rd line with Wennberg and whoever.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I kind of want to try Goosh on either Celebrini or Smith’s line. He’s smart and I think he’d put in their passes. Bords would be interesting to try too. Kostin isn’t it, anyway, I think he should be on the 3rd line with Wennberg and whoever.
I like your thinking... Gushkin is intriguing. It would be real nice to find someone who can play with pace with toffoli and celly, and someone shifty and quick.

Its a work in progress, and its not just personnel. The sharks breakouts were awful. very little speed through the neutral zone most of the game, minimal rushes and few off man breaks (the granlund-eklund one was a beauty that just didnt finish.) The team concept isn't there yet.

many roster spots still up for grabs and many guys still trying to grab 'em. still a couple weeks until the season starts, so I expect alot of these guys will get one or two more looks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I like your thinking... Gushkin is intriguing. It would be real nice to find someone who can play with pace with toffoli and celly, and someone shifty and quick.

Its a work in progress, and its not just personnel. The sharks breakouts were awful. very little speed through the neutral zone most of the game, minimal rushes and few off man breaks (the granlund-eklund one was a beauty that just didnt finish.) The team concept isn't there yet.

many roster spots still up for grabs and many guys still trying to grab 'em. still a couple weeks until the season starts, so I expect alot of these guys will get one or two more looks.

Yeah, I also think the thing for all of us to remember is this team has had *insane* turnover. For all of us who remember SJeasy, he’d talk about how getting more than 3-4 new players could cause some early problems for a team. We’ve got, what… like 10? And a lot of them VERY young. AND we have a new coach.

I think this team should be better than last year’s catastrophe but I think it’s going to take many games to see Warsofsky’s system start to take shape.

And our defense remains so bad. I mean, Cagnoni won’t make the NHL team and he’s easily our best PP quarterback right now, sooooo….

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's a nice wake up call game. It's also preseason. I can't remember watching a preseason game and caring in the last 20 years except once in maybe 2010 when I got very drunk and heckled Corey Perry so effectively that he turned around in the box and stared at me for 20 seconds (proud moment).

We care now because we have all these prospects, but as many of us know, prospects take time at best and many will bust, or have a very short peak in the NHL even if they look promising. no need to overreact about one game, but definitely helpful to remember just how far away we are as a team, and many are as prospects.

Except Celebrini. f***ing incredible. My expectations for Smith are still 35-45 points and some real struggles, but absent injury, Celebrini could definitely see a 60+ point season. THE TRUTH. I think it was @weastern bias who said "Diet Coke Crosby" and yeah something like that.
He's Coke Zero Crosby

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It's a nice wake up call game. It's also preseason. I can't remember watching a preseason game and caring in the last 20 years except once in maybe 2010 when I got very drunk and heckled Corey Perry so effectively that he turned around in the box and stared at me for 20 seconds (proud moment).

We care now because we have all these prospects, but as many of us know, prospects take time at best and many will bust, or have a very short peak in the NHL even if they look promising. no need to overreact about one game, but definitely helpful to remember just how far away we are as a team, and many are as prospects.

Except Celebrini. f***ing incredible. My expectations for Smith are still 35-45 points and some real struggles, but absent injury, Celebrini could definitely see a 60+ point season. THE TRUTH. I think it was @weastern bias who said "Diet Coke Crosby" and yeah something like that.
It's also why I don't buy the people who want to keep the Lund line intact to go up against other people's top lines so Celebrini can match up against other team's #2 lines and leave Will Smith in the wilderness with whatever scrubs are left to play with him. You don't need to protect Celebrini. Tally up the great plays that he made in this game (including the ones that went nowhere because the guy on the other end of his pass did nothing with it or there was a great save), then tally up the great plays Eklund and Granlund made as 2/3 of the Lund line combined. Stop worrying about sheltering Celebrini and Smith and just let them play with your best skill players and let the chips fall where they may. Don't worry about the fact that our #1 and #2 lines are gonna have tough matchups. They're already going to have it tough playing with a subpar defensive corps and goalie situation anyway.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's also why I don't buy the people who want to keep the Lund line intact to go up against other people's top lines so Celebrini can match up against other team's #2 lines and leave Will Smith in the wilderness with whatever scrubs are left to play with him. You don't need to protect Celebrini. Tally up the great plays that he made in this game (including the ones that went nowhere because the guy on the other end of his pass did nothing with it or there was a great save), then tally up the great plays Eklund and Granlund made as 2/3 of the Lund line combined. Stop worrying about sheltering Celebrini and Smith and just let them play with your best skill players and let the chips fall where they may. Don't worry about the fact that our #1 and #2 lines are gonna have tough matchups. They're already going to have it tough playing with a subpar defensive corps and goalie situation anyway.

Yeah and I’d argue that sheltering them means putting them with your absolute best players rather than with… Kostin. And I like Kostin, I’m just not sure that’s exactly right here.

I’d be curious to see something like Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli / Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund but possibly still send out like Goodrow - Wennberg - Dellandrea against top lines until they feel like Celebrini is ready to face them.

My only issue is that the 1st line doesn’t really have a guy to go retrieve the puck.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah, I also think the thing for all of us to remember is this team has had *insane* turnover. For all of us who remember SJeasy, he’d talk about how getting more than 3-4 new players could cause some early problems for a team. We’ve got, what… like 10? And a lot of them VERY young. AND we have a new coach.
SJeasy was specifically talking about contending teams; turnover and low expectations are a given for rebuilding teams.
Because I want better players than Kostin or Kunin on Celebrini's and Smith's lines. The Sharks have four forwards on their roster that are clearly better than either of those guys. There is zero reason to play either of them with the two guys we're trying to develop who are the future centerpieces of our top two lines.
Kostin might have a case that he's the 6th-best forward on the team...and the fourth-best winger if Granlund, Celebrini, and Smith are at center.

Overall, I think you could get away putting Kostin/Grundstrom/Gushchin/Bordeleau with Celebrini and Toffoli. But with Smith, it might be tough to deploy him ideally. He shouldn't be saddled with poor talents or low experience. Maybe Wennberg and Zetterlund would work, but then who is going to play with Eklund and Granlund?

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Yeah and I’d argue that sheltering them means putting them with your absolute best players rather than with… Kostin. And I like Kostin, I’m just not sure that’s exactly right here.

I’d be curious to see something like Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli / Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund but possibly still send out like Goodrow - Wennberg - Dellandrea against top lines until they feel like Celebrini is ready to face them.

My only issue is that the 1st line doesn’t really have a guy to go retrieve the puck.
I'm torn about what the best thing to do with Granlund is once you commit to the idea that making Smith center the third line is madness. I assume that most people that want to pair him with Smith reason that Granlund can take some of the dirty work responsibilities that Smith might be overmatched with (faceoffs, defensive center responsibilities, etc.). The problem I have with that is that while I perceive Celebrini to be equally fine with playing the role of a passer or shooter, I perceive Smith to be far more advanced as a passer than as a shooter, which is pretty much Granlund's profile as well), to the point where I thought there was even an argument to be made that maybe Toffoli should be paired with Smith and that Celebrini could center Zetterlund and Granlund. But it seems inevitable at this point that Toffoli is here to be paired with Celebrini.

I'd like to be able to put a better puck retrieval guy on Celebrini's line too, but honestly, does that guy even really exist on this team? Just find the guy with the fewest warts and do the best you can with it. If it's not really working that well by the end of the year, we probably have to replace Granlund anyway so you can go out and try to get that better fit guy in the summer of 2025.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

I think this team should be better than last year’s catastrophe but I think it’s going to take many games to see Warsofsky’s system start to take shape.

And our defense remains so bad. I mean, Cagnoni won’t make the NHL team and he’s easily our best PP quarterback right now, sooooo….
That point about turnover has stuck with me through the years, and it's held mostly true, though on the other hand there's some chicken-egg there since high turnover means a team isn't quite "there" yet.

Either way, is a good thing we aren't expecting to be any good this season. We're the most "not there" team in the league still.

Last edited:

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Stanley's

Sometimes preseason hockey can be very entertaining. In 2007 I went to a Canucks/Sharks preseason game where Roenick debuted, Marleau got into a tough fight during a line brawl, Torrey Mitchell was wearing #69 and Setoguchi was also a promising prospect. Sharks won in new sweaters and everyone went home happy. Can't remember a single preseason game since then even though i've been to a few. Crankshaft hat trick must have been a riot.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
For the top 9 I see three options:
1. Load the top 6 with your 6 most talented guys, Wennberg centers third line
2. Lunds in front of Celebrini-Tofolli and Wennberg-Smith
3. Create three okay lines with Koistin-Celebrini-Tofolli, Eklund-Smith-Zetts, Granlund-Wennberg-TBD

Three priorities:
1. Celebrini Dev
2. smith Dev
3. Granlund trade value

I’d say put Granlund with Celebrini and Tofolli, Smith with Eklund and Zetts, and Goody/Koistin and Delly/Kunin with Wennberg. Let the third line take some pressure off by taking the hard matchups and defensive zone starts. I’d argue that playing with better players will do more for the kids that shielding them.

I’m guessing Celebrini won’t be overmatched against too many if he has good wingers.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
If anyone missed Wars postgame, he liked what Smith did, no question. He says that is what we need, guys sticking up for each other. Kostin put Korzack into the boards hard after he hit Macklin. That’s why he’s on Mack’s line. He can also score. He will.
Guschin is not the answer to help protect Celebrini.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

Eklund is actually very good on the forecheck. He might not be a big body but he is tenacious at creating turnovers down low.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
SJeasy was specifically talking about contending teams; turnover and low expectations are a given for rebuilding teams.

Kostin might have a case that he's the 6th-best forward on the team...and the fourth-best winger if Granlund, Celebrini, and Smith are at center.

Overall, I think you could get away putting Kostin/Grundstrom/Gushchin/Bordeleau with Celebrini and Toffoli. But with Smith, it might be tough to deploy him ideally. He shouldn't be saddled with poor talents or low experience. Maybe Wennberg and Zetterlund would work, but then who is going to play with Eklund and Granlund?
We have Toffoli, Smith, Celebrini, and the Lunds. Which of those players does Kostin have a case to be better than?

Reactions: Jargon

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
What is this Celebrini "protection" business? Hes not a fine china vase. No opponent is gunna think "hmmm, should I hit celebrini? I am afriad of Giovani smith or kostin or whoever...." They will hit him just fine just as they did. Thats what NHL life is like for a good player.

They need to pair him with skill. Just skill. Nothing to do with protection or any of that. Gushkin is the most skilled of the possible rookies.

I like keeping the Lund line together, and looking for a skilled rookie to take the celebrini wing with smith as the 3rd line C. I was hoping Dyllandrea might slot alongside celebrini but he didnt exactly impress last night... Cardwell perhaps? He definitely has a motor, looked good last night, and has proven he can score at the pro level. Grundlund? Goodrow?

Truth is, the sharks are one good winger short. Woulda been nice to deploy a bit of that 10M in cap space on a solid vet winger, but oh well...

Celly is too good to have just toffoli, but the Lund line works. Makes little sense to get rid of one problem only to create another. They just have to find the right fit on that wing.

Celly-Toffoli-Gushkin?
Lund line
Smith-wennberg-???
Dyllandrea/goodrow/kunin/grundstrom/etc.

It's a shame that dick and musty had such weak games.

After last night, I am a bit less confident in my bets :). Love what warsofsky brings though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad