GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
dickinson needs seasoning but has a lot of tools
I disagree a little bit on that point. Right now, Dickinson has two tools - his skating and his shot, though his shot really hasn't done anything at all yet. I guess if you want to call defending a "tool", he looks all right defending against his own level of player as evidenced by the rookie games. But his ice vision, his ability to defend against pro players, and his passing all need a lot of work. And I don't have a problem with that necessarily - if he was further ahead in those areas, he wouldn't have been around at pick 11. But he still needs a lot of development.

The Sharks clearly made the pick they did because they think he will develop those areas and have a body that will be more competitive at the NHL level when he develops those weak areas. I wouldn't have made the same choice they made, but I understand their logic. But he's gonna need every bit of the next two years in the OHL to level up his skills.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I disagree a little bit on that point. Right now, Dickinson has two tools - his skating and his shot, though his shot really hasn't done anything at all yet. I guess if you want to call defending a "tool", he looks all right defending against his own level of player as evidenced by the rookie games. But his ice vision, his ability to defend against pro players, and his passing all need a lot of work. And I don't have a problem with that necessarily - if he was further ahead in those areas, he wouldn't have been around at pick 11. But he still needs a lot of development.

The Sharks clearly made the pick they did because they think he will develop those areas and have a body that will be more competitive at the NHL level when he develops those weak areas. I wouldn't have made the same choice they made, but I understand their logic. But he's gonna need every bit of the next two years in the OHL to level up his skills.
I think he also has size in addition to skating/shot. But agreed on the other counts, he's definitely not ready, and it's probably 2 more years or more before he's a potential NHL regular

Reactions: Star Platinum

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly watching Kostin out there made it clear to me that we need to split up the Lund line. The #1 priority this season is developing Celebrini/Smith and we have four other forwards with top-9 offensive talent; we need to allocate as many of those as necessary to help further that developmental cause. The Lund line is awesome but what’s most important that Celebrini/Smith can pass the puck to guys who aren’t Kunin/Kostin fumbling and turning it over at every opportunity.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
Honestly watching Kostin out there made it clear to me that we need to split up the Lund line. The #1 priority this season is developing Celebrini/Smith and we have four other forwards with top-9 offensive talent; we need to allocate as many of those as necessary to help further that developmental cause. The Lund line is awesome but what’s most important that Celebrini/Smith can pass the puck to guys who aren’t Kunin/Kostin fumbling and turning it over at every opportunity.

I was thinking the same. Something like Granlund-Celebrini-Toffoli and Eklund-Smith-Zetterlund, with Wennberg centering whoever else forces their way onto the 3rd line.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I've been saying the same thing since Smith and Celebrini signed their pro contracts. DNGAF about the Lund line and don't know why anyone is attached to it. Too many people are confused about what this season is about.

Celebrini and Smith are playmakers. Give them guys that can finish plays. Put Kostin on a line with a bunch of other guys that carry sticks for no apparent reason.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I've been saying the same thing since Smith and Celebrini signed their pro contracts. DNGAF about the Lund line and don't know why anyone is attached to it. Too many people are confused about what this season is about.

Celebrini and Smith are playmakers. Give them guys that can finish plays. Put Kostin on a line with a bunch of other guys that carry sticks for no apparent reason.
I agree with not caring about keeping the Lund line together but I can’t really blame the fans who stuck around to watch the team last year being a little bit attached to them when they were one of the very few bright spots from last season

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Oh god... Can you imagine the young guys getting momentum or scoring a goal, and following it up with a Kostin-Sturm-Kunin line 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I was thinking the same. Something like Granlund-Celebrini-Toffoli and Eklund-Smith-Zetterlund, with Wennberg centering whoever else forces their way onto the 3rd line.
I'd flip Eklund and Granlund but I'm on board with that set of players in an eventual top 6

72-71-73
64-2-20
Oh god... Can you imagine the young guys getting momentum or scoring a goal, and following it up with a Kostin-Sturm-Kunin line 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Pro tanking

Reactions: timorous me

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
While the hate for Kunin is understandable, why are people piling on Kostin and Sturm? Sturm has always been a hard-nosed 4th liner, and while Kostin's production doesn't seem sustainable he was fine last season (more than!). This quip makes no sense...

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
While the hate for Kunin is understandable, why are people piling on Kostin and Sturm? Sturm has always been a hard-nosed 4th liner, and while Kostin's production doesn't seem sustainable he was fine last season (more than!). This quip makes no sense...
I agree on Klim. I’m willing to give him the preseason to see what transpires. Vilifying a guy after one game is way too lazy to me. Coach Warf thought he’d be good there. I will watch to see if he was right.

I’m going to gush over Macklin all season. His goal is reminiscent of Eklund, if they can be on different PPs and bring that shot, look out. There is something happening here. I would’ve liked to have seen Smith tonight.
Luca made me smile. So much going on here about how small he is. He was a beast. He put Kolesar down. He’s a keeper.
Musty and Dickinson had some warts but one can see they will succeed. Graf looked better. Thompson showed some good plays.
The future is bright.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'm just capable of being honest about what I see unlike someone people. I've never shit on Celebrini, Dickinson, Smith, Mukhamadullin or Eklund from the moment they became Sharks because there's never been any reason to.
I should be clear that I'm not arguing against criticizing guys--and hell, there will be reason to criticize all of these players (except Celebrini, who is clearly the second coming). And I've had some of the same doubts as you regarding Cagnoni--but I just feel like not keeping an open mind to guys when there's legit talent and potential ends up feeling too much like having an agenda.

I'll admit, I've always liked Musty's potential as a #26 pick, but that's the thing--we're not talking about a #1 overall. This is a player who obviously has stuff to work on. And his placement for this season wouldn't even be in question if it weren't for the restrictions on him (and the juniors team he played for last year).

But to talk down his rookie tournament performance when he showed off his skill so clearly with the three goals and three assists against Anaheim and Colorado? I just don't get it. Performing like that doesn't mean he's NHL ready, but it sure the hell shows what he's capable of, and that's really exciting--even if he still has clear areas of his game to work on.

Like, with Cagnoni, I get the concerns, but his performance in the rookie faceoff and then tonight? I'm certainly going to get fired up by those efforts because they show me that maybe I have been underrating him--and because I'm a Sharks fan, and I don't care if I'm wrong as long as it means good things for the Sharks, I'm willing to be honest about what he did. I just would appreciate that kind of "no agenda" analysis from others, too.

Reactions: Lebanezer

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Because I want better players than Kostin or Kunin on Celebrini's and Smith's lines. The Sharks have four forwards on their roster that are clearly better than either of those guys. There is zero reason to play either of them with the two guys we're trying to develop who are the future centerpieces of our top two lines.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Kostin is pre-emptive for sure. It is a small pile on, but he shouldn't be on a top 6 line.

Sturm was poor last season, and even in this game his line was buried. There are so many times that the play dies on his stick. I'm fine with him being a 4th liner getting 7-10 minutes a night.

Reactions: Star Platinum

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It's a nice wake up call game. It's also preseason. I can't remember watching a preseason game and caring in the last 20 years except once in maybe 2010 when I got very drunk and heckled Corey Perry so effectively that he turned around in the box and stared at me for 20 seconds (proud moment).

We care now because we have all these prospects, but as many of us know, prospects take time at best and many will bust, or have a very short peak in the NHL even if they look promising. no need to overreact about one game, but definitely helpful to remember just how far away we are as a team, and many are as prospects.

Except Celebrini. f***ing incredible. My expectations for Smith are still 35-45 points and some real struggles, but absent injury, Celebrini could definitely see a 60+ point season. THE TRUTH. I think it was @weastern bias who said "Diet Coke Crosby" and yeah something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad