GDT: Preseason Game #1 Blues vs Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ellis has potential but definitely needs some more work. Both of our goalies were under siege down low most of the night because our D kept collapsing around them Ellis did a good job limiting the damage. I'm really glad they pulled Binnington after the first because I was getting very uncomfortable with how much they were allowing the Stars to collapse down low. I about lost my mind when Tucker nearly dumped a Stars player on top of Binnington's knee. Gave me Grant Fuhr 1996 flashbacks. You have to have the awareness not to dump a player onto your goalie, and especially when he's in a vulnerable position like he was. Totally unnecessary.

There was nothing Ellis could've done on goal #1. Goal #2 needs to be stopped. He got lazy sitting back too far in his stance and didn't seal properly. He was a little too active at times and there were multiple instances when he overslid and completely lost his net in the second but Dallas was unable to convert. He'll have to clean that up and did over the course of the next two periods so it makes me think it was nerves early on.

He made some excellent reads on some tough plays in close though. He made a fantastic save on Stankoven after Joseph and McIsaac let him walk right through them for a partial breakaway. It's not easy to get that low and maintain enough of an edge to push off to the blocker side like he did. I thought he was dead in the water. Also made a perfect read to stop a one-timer on the late power play after Dean did a poor job covering for the D man and left his man wide open in the slot. Overall Ellis did a great job limiting damage in what was a pretty poor defensive effort overall.

I have been a big Ellis supporter for a while on here. I agree with your analysis whole-heartedly. While he made some real nice saves, he did put himself in bad positions and gave up a really bad winning goal. He is an athletic goalie, so he will tend to have a bit more movement than a Hofer. But he is also a smaller goalie at 6'1, so he cannot afford to be deeper in net or play small. He did that at times. His athleticism saves him, but I'd want him to minimize the need for it more than he did last night. I don't think he is NHL ready yet. I think he will give Z a run for his money for the first call-up in case of injury though.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sorry for the dumb question but the Blues website says the game tonight is being streamed on the Blues app is that the same thing as the Bally sports app?

No. There is a St. Louis Blues app available in IOS and Google store for phones. It's for buying tickets but I guess they are showing pre-season games on it too.

I don't like watching on small phone screen so it will be the website for me.

Reactions: shpongle falls

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
No. There is a St. Louis Blues app available in IOS and Google store for phones. It's for buying tickets but I guess they are showing pre-season games on it too.

I don't like watching on small phone screen so it will be the website for me.
Got it thanks, downloaded the Blues app. Not sure about android but if you have an iphone and a smart tv you can use the screen mirror option so you can watch it on your tv, it should theoretically work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad