GDT: Preseason Game 1 - Anaheim Ducks @ San Jose Sharks, 7pm PT (Stream available on Anaheimducks.com)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s very interesting that they are putting Leason at center. I was saying we needed to add a right-handed PK center in the offseason, but I guess the team thinks that’s Leason.

The team started to do this at the end of the season, with Leason at center. It appears the org is sticking with transitioning Leason at center.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1727212772057.png

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s very interesting that they are putting Leason at center. I was saying we needed to add a right-handed PK center in the offseason, but I guess the team thinks that’s Leason.
Brett Leason will center McGinn's line, a role he said he hasn't regularly played in seven years. Leason lined up as a center in the final game of last season and it appears he will continue to refine his game in that role for now.

"When I arrived at camp, (Cronin) told me he wanted to try me at wing still but to give it a shot at center and see how it goes," Leason said. "So I'm excited for the opportunity. Last game of the year, I played center and I feel I did well––generating a lot of speed and some chances––so I'm looking to build off that."

"Having a big, long body in the middle of the ice––I think––is a strength in the defensive zone," Cronin said. "His length and his reach will get to loose pucks quicker. He's a penalty killer, so I think he's got a defensive mindset that's going to strengthen our structure in the defensive zone.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Brock McGinn, who missed most of last season due to a back issue, is one of the Ducks in the lineup tonight. He underwent surgery in March and spent most of the summer rehabbing.

“I kind of was dealing with it a bit in camp and then tried to figure out a way to keep playing and battle through it for the majority of the year,” McGinn said. Came to the conclusion at the end of the year that the surgery was needed. It was successful and I think I had a good summer with rehab and everything, so it feels good.”

McGinn had a disc issue that was cleaned up via the surgery. He said he felt relief right away and changed his strength and conditioning program to keep his body from overloading. It’s the longest period in his NHL career that he’s ever been injured for.

“It’s really hard,” McGinn said when asked how it felt mentally being away from the ice for that long. “You want to play, you want to be in the dressing room every day. It’s tough to sit on the sidelines and watch and battle through something like that.”

"He tries to execute everything you ask him to do," head coach Greg Cronin said of McGinn. "He's a great teammate. He does all the little details, the gritty stuff that you need that puts a little bit of flesh on a team like blocking shots, finishing checks, going to the net front, takes short shifts. All those little things that I think are really important parts of a team's identity, he does them."

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
So...outside of Celebrini, I can't actually tell if this is going to be much different from their opening night lineup.

Probably a joke, but if curious...

8ish regulars
Top 6 (at least in minutes): Tofolli, Smith, Zetterlund (Celibrini, Granlund, Eklund)
Bottom 6: Wennberg, Goodrow, Kunin/Grundstrom, (Dellandrea, Sturm, Koistin)
'Top' 4: Walman, Rutta, (Ferraro, Ceci)
Bottom pair: (Thrun, Benning, Vlasic, Mukhamadulin)

In summary, poor top 6, okay bottom 6, league worst defense, goaltending somewhere between bad but respectable and league worst. Blackwood and Kahkonen weren't our problem last year with .899 save percentage.

Successful season:
1. Celebrini/Smith stay healthy and look like future cornerstones
2. Get top 4 draft pick
3. Add a few more assets for Granlund, Ceci, ect.

Bummed not to see at least one of your kids. Anaheim as such a good farm, but we get nobody!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe the 1st pre-season game is different and I just cant remember, but usually there are vets with spots on the main roster sprinkled in.
IIRC the league has reduced by 2-3 the number of preseason games each team will play this year. So teams have less games to view the players they want to view which is possibly why tonight's game has so many prospects and minor leaguers.

Reactions: Rybread86

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Maybe the 1st pre-season game is different and I just cant remember, but usually there are vets with spots on the main roster sprinkled in.
I think the first game does tend to be different. Last year's only had two guys who fit that criteria (plus two main roster rookies).
The year before, I am 99% certain this lineup featured Jones, Lundestrom, and Vaakanainen(!) wearing the A's.
So this seems about par for the course. Bring on Elite 1C Brett Leason!

Reactions: Rybread86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad