GDT: Preseason Game 04 - Winnipeg Jets @ Minnesota Wild - Friday, September 27th, 2024 - 7:00pm CDT - WinnipegJets.com - Power 97

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here are some thoughts from a (completely) unqualified observer (properly accounting for the fact this is sloppy preseason hockey):

Perfetti is our best shot out of our U25 players at becoming a superstar (not saying it's likely though). He's so smart and just needs his body/athleticism to catch up to his brain. In his LV media tour he said he feels stronger on the ice and he looked strong tonight. Used his body well and actually made some good hits. I've been saying it for a couple seasons, but this really should be his year.

Lambert is very near ready. Maybe he needs half a year with the Moose. But his poise and confidence are notable. He just looks like an NHL player. I love watching him play and think he's our future 2C.

Yager was a good pick-up for this team. He has a shot to become an effective top 6 player. He's young, and likely a solid step below Lambert, but he made some nice plays tonight, has a great shot, and sees the ice well. He's still far from making this team, but I see encouraging signs.

I don't like Barlow. I never have. Aside from his shot, I don't think he's an NHL player now or in the future. Hopefully I'm really wrong about this, we need him to be a hit, but I never see enough in his game. Can anyone make a good case in his favour? I'd like to hear it!

Barlow has an awful lot to work on to get to NHL ready. He really needs to focus on the little things like positioning, the lanes he takes on the forecheck. He also really needs to grow into his body so that he's strong enough to win battles as he's likely not going to win a lot of races. He's years away.

Yager is just so smart positionally and has a high skill level with a real plus shot. He should be able to carve out a role for himself as a top 6 player. Just needs to naturally get stronger and learn to be more of the driver on his junior team this year. He's my kind of player.

I expected Cole to be stronger but can you tell me how his skating looked?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yeah, I'm sorry but saying they dressed 8 regulars and so did we is kinda ridiculous lol, our best skater was perfetti... theirs was some guy that has put up 100 point seasons... context matters kids...

Yeah they dressed their whole top line and I think top pairing. Also I'm fairly certain all those guys have already gotten in a game which would have made them less rusty.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don't like Barlow. I never have. Aside from his shot, I don't think he's an NHL player now or in the future. Hopefully I'm really wrong about this, we need him to be a hit, but I never see enough in his game. Can anyone make a good case in his favour? I'd like to hear it!
100% agree with you. I’ve never seen it in him and still don’t.
He’s very one dimensional and has absolutely no play driving ability.

Reactions: surixon

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Barlow has an awful lot to work on to get to NHL ready. He really needs to focus on the little things like positioning, the lanes he takes on the forecheck. He also really needs to grow into his body so that he's strong enough to win battles as he's likely not going to win a lot of races. He's years away.

Yager is just so smart positionally and has a high skill level with a real plus shot. He should be able to carve out a role for himself as a top 6 player. Just needs to naturally get stronger and learn to be more of the driver on his junior team this year. He's my kind of player.

I thought Cole's skating looked good. He's definitely improved and looked good on the ice against some of the Wild's better players. It's still not a plus, but he's getting there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
yeah, I'm sorry but saying they dressed 8 regulars and so did we is kinda ridiculous lol, our best skater was perfetti... theirs was some guy that has put up 100 point seasons... context matters kids...
Is it really though? They brought their best line, and what would be their checking line, because there is still Boldy, Rossi, Gaudreau, Foligno, Johansson, etc. that didn't play, unlike the top 3 lines we brought against Edmonton, with 5 starting d-men, (the Wild left out Brodin and Spurgeon, plus Chisholm, Bogosian, Merrill) against a largely AHL squad. Your defensive guys Iafallo, Appleton, Kupari should be able to handle those kind of matchups. Fetts too. Lambert, if he is really NHL ready. 4th line for the Jets are all guys that played in the NHL last year, should be able to handle those matchups to some extent. And add that 4 of the potential 6 d-men were in the starting lineup, more than Wild fielded.

I'm not sure what the excuse is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought Cole's skating looked good. He's definitely improved and looked good on the ice against some of the Wild's better players. It's still not a plus, but he's getting there.

That's good to hear. He's getting to the age that Scheifele (Who also needed to really work on his strength and skating) really started putting it together. Different players clearly but they both were highly skilled top 10 picks that were behind the curve physically at the draft.

Reactions: TommyKillian

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Is it really though? They brought their best line, and what would be their checking line, because there is still Boldy, Rossi, Gaudreau, Foligno, Johansson, etc. that didn't play, unlike the top 3 lines we brought against Edmonton, with 5 starting d-men, (the Wild left out Brodin and Spurgeon, plus Chisholm, Bogosian, Merrill) against a largely AHL squad. Your defensive guys Iafallo, Appleton, Kupari should be able to handle those kind of matchups. Fetts too. Lambert, if he is really NHL ready. 4th line for the Jets are all guys that played in the NHL last year, should be able to handle those matchups to some extent. And add that 4 of the potential 6 d-men were in the starting lineup, more than Wild fielded.

it is lol.. it's almost like their top line can destroy our 5th best forward and depth players

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it really though? They brought their best line, and what would be their checking line, because there is still Boldy, Rossi, Gaudreau, Foligno, Johansson, etc. that didn't play, unlike the top 3 lines we brought against Edmonton, with 5 starting d-men, (the Wild left out Brodin and Spurgeon, plus Chisholm, Bogosian, Merrill) against a largely AHL squad. Your defensive guys Iafallo, Appleton, Kupari should be able to handle those kind of matchups. Fetts too. Lambert, if he is really NHL ready. 4th line for the Jets are all guys that played in the NHL last year, should be able to handle those matchups to some extent.

I think it's as easy as saying Helle very rarely let's in 8 goals on 20 something shots through two periods.

Also preseason means nothing imo and records in preseason are never good predictors for regular season success. Established players are doing what they feel like to be readybopening night. I'm sure for most winning isn't on their minds.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

I’m starting to wonder if Barlow is fighting through a nagging injury or illness (mono?).

Plateauing is one thing, but he actually looks like he’s regressed from last season. He’s still got an NHL shot, but that’s literally the only part of his game that looks pro-ready…

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
it is lol.. it's almost like their top line can destroy our 5th best forward and depth players
Kaprizov had two goals, both on the PP, against our NHL PKers, and NHL defense. And our NHL goalie. That's your final answer? It definitely was no mismatch of lineups like Wednesday's game. Either our prospects, or our regulars aren't good enough then.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Kaprizov had two goals, both on the PP, against our NHL PKers, and NHL defense. And our NHL goalie. That's your final answer? It definitely was no mismatch of lineups like Wednesday's game. Either our prospects, or our regulars aren't good enough then.
yes, this is my final answer to why we lost this preseason game when our best skater was perfetti rofl...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

Pointless preseason hockey that can’t end soon enough.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m starting to wonder if Barlow is fighting through a nagging injury or illness (mono?).

Plateauing is one thing, but he actually looks like he’s regressed from last season. He’s still got an NHL shot, but that’s literally the only part of his game that looks pro-ready…

I believe he was battling things early in the year last year. But you would hope a summer of training would lead to him looking better then last year. To me he doesn't look any different but it is early and he could still go on to have a monster year where other elements of his game come together.

Pointless preseason hockey that can’t end soon enough.

I'm just happy Noone got hurt.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
people freak out over preseason way too much, same thing happened last year in our 2nd last or last game and we went on to a 110 point season...

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I believe he was battling things early in the year last year. But you would hope a summer of training would lead to him looking better then last year. To me he doesn't look any different but it is early and he could still go on to have a monster year where other elements of his game come together.

I'm just happy Noone got hurt.
most of preseason is just hoping nobody gets hurt and having the vets shake the rust off

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
people freak out over preseason way too much, same thing happened last year in our 2nd last or last game and we went on to a 110 point season...

Yup. I imagine players don't really get up for the away games. Also you need to factor in players travel to the game the afternoon before puck drop. That doesn't at all happen in the regular season and likely impacts their legs.

Honestly it's a week too long as it is.

Reactions: gojetsgo

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Against 2 NHL defensemen and a backup goalie. I wouldn't laugh so hard.
I really don't care how many nhl level players each team had, they had way more skill, it's f***ing preseason, this game has literally zero effect on how the regular season will go, nothing is embarrassing or nothing should give you hope from these games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad