GDT: Preseason Game 01 - Winnipeg Jets @ Edmonton Oilers - Sunday, September 24th, 2023 - 5:00pm CDT - WinnipegJets.com - CJOB/Power 97

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Some thoughts:

- I know I shat on him earlier but Delia was really good. Would be nice if he can help make the Moose more competitive

- Heinola looked comfortable out there. Assertive and aggressive. Solid game.

- Chisholm performed well too I thought

- Chibrikov will be a Jet for sure in the next year or so. Wouldn’t be surprised with a strong AHL campaign from him this year

- I think Perfetti breaks out this year. He processes the game SO well. His skating is coming along too so he just needs to stay healthy

- Iafallo looks like he’s irritating to play against. I’m glad our forward depth has improved a lot.

- Looking forward to seeing Vilardi in the lineup

Hard to glean a lot out of one pre-season game. Even though Edmonton played a lot of their vets, those guys are just going through the motions and trying to not get hurt, but overall a solid game for a lot of our roster hopefuls.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well a pretty solid first preseason game.

Perfetti showed some rust in terms of his offensive decision making and execution but still looked pretty good both ways down the middle. Nice shootout goal. Positives is he's definitely quicker and stronger on the puck. I expect he'll get better as the preseason goes on. Kid is poised to breakout. Nino was good with him, too bad Fly couldn't go.

Kid line: Lambert was strong again but needs to go to the AHL and learn to finish. He does that and he can be a top 6 guy. Chibrikov was solid but is going to get killed if he plays as reckless as he did tonight. Zhilkin with a nice game. Kid has some NHL potential as a modern bottom 6 type.

Heinola was very good. Loved the aggression and decisiveness both with and without the puck.

Chisholm also was good and played his game.

Those two served notice tonight that they are here to win spots.

Bauer was outclassed and was the wrong player to play with Dillion.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Done Delia? Stealia of a Delia? Delia feelia-ing it? Where's Nate Thompson when you need him?

Don't think I'd change much from my early-game thoughts. Though Heinola, Perfetti and Zhilkin of the younger 'uns kept their composure and played consistently strong games. Both of the former look stronger and quicker.

- Chisholm a bit less noticeable towards the end but still a strong game from him overall and a great start
- Lambert still impressing me with his ability to disrupt plays defensively and readiness to mix things up and hound pucks -- if he can polish up his shot and become a speedy disrupter who can make plays and score goals I think he becomes an important player for the Jets. IMO he's the closest thing we have in the pipeline to a young Matty P, value-wise
- Chibbers better when angry, should benefit from a year in the A but like Lambert and most of our youngsters he's no coaster and has the tools and the brain to be a difference-maker
- Vets be vets. They're out there to make up the numbers and be stable outlets for the kids. They all did that well
- Harkins worked hard but not sure it's enough yet, agree with others that AJF was WTF for most of the game

More and more I see the Jets transitioning away from a top-6 heavy game that relies on elite scoring and goaltending, skill and luck to a more balanced group that's less high-end but also less crap at some aspects of the game, and has fewer passengers. In that sense, this is the year where we're likely closest to that 2018-19 juggernaut, minus the best of the veteran and prospect talent. After this year, we're likely fielding a capable team that's less great but also harder to beat than in recent years.

I often heard but never quite bought into the "blue collar town" identity of a city with as much wealth, talent and brainpower as Winnipeg has, but these may be more blue-collarish teams that maybe have more lunchpail and fewer star players -- but where there shouldn't be the kinds of waiver-wire fodder we saw so much of after Buff retired. Maybe this is the pivot year. Should be interesting to track.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wasn't able to watch super closely.

Fjallby with his worst showing as a Jet, has to be a lot better than that to have any hope of staying up.

Perfetti looked good offensively and defensively. Whenever I noticed him take faceoffs he seemed to win a good amount, and when he didn't win he didn't lose cleanly. Great to see, I tracked him in the AHL for awhile and he was around 35% and lost a lot clean. Super cheeky shootout goal. I think that giving him his own line that he runs instead of making him a winger on a line that Scheifele runs will help him break out. He's too smart to not be calling the shots on his line.

Chisholm showed a lot of great decision making. He probably had some flubs that I didn't see but whenever I was able to key in on him he did well. He created a ton of offensive chances in the first period especially from what I saw.

Lowry line was the only line that seemed to be consistently effective. Iafallo is going to a very nice addition. Perfetti's line would have looked a hell of a lot better without Mallott. Not that he was noticeably bad I just don't think he's really the type of player you want playing with your most cerebral guy.

Heinola looked good. He didn't look like he was clutching and grabbing in desperation as much to contain players in the defensive zone which has gotten him into penalty trouble in the past.

Delia made a ton of saves, but I think he would have been exploited pretty bad if Edmonton was icing their full lineup/players were a little more in sync. Lots of swimming on his part. Definitely made some great saves though. Glove save on Nuge in the shootout was fantastic.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Done Delia? Stealia of a Delia? Delia feelia-ing it? Where's Nate Thompson when you need him?
You rang...

giphy.gif

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Thought Heinola made a real case for himself but I'd still like to see him get some reps on the right side

Perfetti has a steep learning curve but you could see him really progress in the game - really want to see if he clicks with Ehlers...

Lambert will be a solid C in a year or two... Barlow-Lambert-Chibrikov will be our top line someday

Liked the effort and the team keeping it simple

Nice game by Delia... I'd imagine its him and Milic on the Moose?

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Some thoughts:

- I know I shat on him earlier but Delia was really good. Would be nice if he can help make the Moose more competitive

- Heinola looked comfortable out there. Assertive and aggressive. Solid game.

- Chisholm performed well too I thought

- Chibrikov will be a Jet for sure in the next year or so. Wouldn’t be surprised with a strong AHL campaign from him this year

- I think Perfetti breaks out this year. He processes the game SO well. His skating is coming along too so he just needs to stay healthy

- Iafallo looks like he’s irritating to play against. I’m glad our forward depth has improved a lot.

- Looking forward to seeing Vilardi in the lineup

Hard to glean a lot out of one pre-season game. Even though Edmonton played a lot of their vets, those guys are just going through the motions and trying to not get hurt, but overall a solid game for a lot of our roster hopefuls.
A+ for Delia tonight. 37 stops and 1 goal.. He is a fantastic depth Goalie. If the Jets end up trading 37, I feel Brossoit and Delia are a legitimate tandem.

A for Nino. It may be a preseason game, but he looked to be in good condition knowing he has an opportunity to slot in on the 2nd with his playmaking ability and defensive play. 55 and 81 should be salivating from the mouth knowing Nino is replacing 26.

A for Iafallo. I knew he was a great aquisition, but the man showed up ready to play and turned a few heads in the process. He remains a question mark as to whether or not he's a 2nd line guy or 3rd line guy, but this is a good thing imo.

B for Heinola. Played well defensively and had some offensive opportunities. He seemed Relatively unoticeable despite the ice time. This is saying something considering last year he was very noticeable as he appeared to be a liability at times. I feel he has more to offer. I look forward to seeing him gain confidence and play the way we all know he can play as an offensive defensman.

B for Perfetti. I was late to the game, and while he certainly looked impactful, i feel he can offer more, especially if paired with scoring talent. He's an intelligent player that's talent is exponentiated when playing with top talent.

A few players im looking forward to seeing in the upcoming games include:

-Vilardi
-Lucius
-Kupari
-Namestnikov

-More Perfetti
-More Iafallo
-More Samberg

-Brossoit

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Thought Heinola made a real case for himself but I'd still like to see him get some reps on the right side

Perfetti has a steep learning curve but you could see him really progress in the game - really want to see if he clicks with Ehlers...

Lambert will be a solid C in a year or two... Barlow-Lambert-Chibrikov will be our top line someday

Him/Milic/Salminen. We'll see how it shakes out but Milic hasn't been signed yet.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Hey, did you have a different username before?

I thought The two Chi’s — sholm and brikov — are showing well

Heinola seemed physically aggressive early on. I think he even threw a hit his first shift. (The other player may have ran into though).

Reactions: Jet

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Hey, did you have a different username before?

I thought he looked pretty good outside of that misplay on the goal. I think it was deflected.

Odds on this pbp guy figuring out that Chibi is 90 and Zhilkin is 56?
Sorry I didn't see this. Yes I did, I was hoping to get away from it and have less combative interactions, but it hasn't been very successful. Which is on me, obviously.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Fjallby with his worst showing as a Jet, has to be a lot better than that to have any hope of staying up.

Perfetti looked good offensively and defensively. Whenever I noticed him take faceoffs he seemed to win a good amount, and when he didn't win he didn't lose cleanly. Great to see, I tracked him in the AHL for awhile and he was around 35% and lost a lot clean. Super cheeky shootout goal. I think that giving him his own line that he runs instead of making him a winger on a line that Scheifele runs will help him break out. He's too smart to not be calling the shots on his line.

Chisholm showed a lot of great decision making. He probably had some flubs that I didn't see but whenever I was able to key in on him he did well. He created a ton of offensive chances in the first period especially from what I saw.

Lowry line was the only line that seemed to be consistently effective. Iafallo is going to a very nice addition. Perfetti's line would have looked a hell of a lot better without Mallott. Not that he was noticeably bad I just don't think he's really the type of player you want playing with your most cerebral guy.

Heinola looked good. He didn't look like he was clutching and grabbing in desperation as much to contain players in the defensive zone which has gotten him into penalty trouble in the past.

Delia made a ton of saves, but I think he would have been exploited pretty bad if Edmonton was icing their full lineup/players were a little more in sync. Lots of swimming on his part. Definitely made some great saves though. Glove save on Nuge in the shootout was fantastic.
Not a fair comment on Chisholm lol… “probably made some flubs I didn’t see?” Sounds like my ex… accusing me of fooling around with zero proof!

I’ll just take what you actually saw of Chisholm and move along….

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Hey there Delia
What's it like in your new city?
I'm a thousand miles away
But, tonight you looked so gritty
Yes, you do
Brossoit can't shine as bright as you
I swear, it's true

Hey there, Delia
Don't you worry about the fifty shots
We know you’ll never get lonely
Close your eyes
It used to work for that Rittich guy
At least sometimes…

Oh, it's what you do to me
Oh, just stop the ones you see.
Oh, the backup you will be
The backup you will be.

Hey there, Delia
I know times are gettin' hard
But just believe me, man
Someday you’ll pay the bills by fixing cars
You’ll have it good
You’ll have the life we knew you would
Under the hoods.

Oh, just stop the ones you see
Oh, the backup you will be
The backup you will be.

A thousand miles seems pretty far
But we've got plains and lots of bars
I'd strap you to the net if I had no other way
Our friends would all make fun of us
And we'll just laugh along because we know
That none of them have ever seen you play
Delia I can promise you
That by the time we get through round 2
The world will never ever be the same
We'll win playoff games...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not a fair comment on Chisholm lol… “probably made some flubs I didn’t see?” Sounds like my ex… accusing me of fooling around with zero proof!

I’ll just take what you actually saw of Chisholm and move along….
Most players make flubs during a game. In a game that I said I wasnt able to watch closely I didn't see any. They may have happened when I wasn't able to watch. I don't want to claim he had a perfect game, I'm sure he didn't, but when I was able to watch he looked very, very good.

Last edited:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Didn't watch because we were busy with guests who unfortunately are not really hockey fans but I'd like to know now when the parade will be so I can let the better half know I'll be busy that day.:D

Did Calgary really beat Vancouver 10-0? Even in preseason that's concerning for them. And along the same lines Miami 70-20 over Denver in a game that matters.

Sounds like Heinola and Chisholm might make a case to move a D man for some more forward depth but where would we put that player? Pretty much 11 spots I'd say are spoken for so you are looking at 2 spots up for grabs between Appleton, Gustafson, Harkins, AJF and Toninato and really I'm not actually wetting my pants for any of them. It will be Appleton(blech) and Gustafson(meh) with one or the other rotating in situationally, likely. Chibrikov might force his way onto the team but would be better served with a season in the A.

We have a logjam on D as has been stated many times so trade one and Harkins and a filthy jock strap for a forward who can put up between 15 and 20 goals and 35 to 40 points or is so tenacious on the defensive end that no opposing player wants to be on the ice with him.

Reactions: Atoyot

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A+ for Delia tonight. 37 stops and 1 goal.. He is a fantastic depth Goalie. If the Jets end up trading 37, I feel Brossoit and Delia are a legitimate tandem.

A for Nino. It may be a preseason game, but he looked to be in good condition knowing he has an opportunity to slot in on the 2nd with his playmaking ability and defensive play. 55 and 81 should be salivating from the mouth knowing Nino is replacing 26.

A for Iafallo. I knew he was a great aquisition, but the man showed up ready to play and turned a few heads in the process. He remains a question mark as to whether or not he's a 2nd line guy or 3rd line guy, but this is a good thing imo.

B for Heinola. Played well defensively and had some offensive opportunities. He seemed Relatively unoticeable despite the ice time. This is saying something considering last year he was very noticeable as he appeared to be a liability at times. I feel he has more to offer. I look forward to seeing him gain confidence and play the way we all know he can play as an offensive defensman.

B for Perfetti. I was late to the game, and while he certainly looked impactful, i feel he can offer more, especially if paired with scoring talent. He's an intelligent player that's talent is exponentiated when playing with top talent.

A few players im looking forward to seeing in the upcoming games include:

-Vilardi
-Lucius
-Kupari
-Namestnikov

-More Perfetti
-More Iafallo
-More Samberg

-Brossoit

Agreed that Cole has a more to give. To me he at times looked like a player who hadn't played since last February. I expect more and more of the rust to dissappear as the preseason moves along. I'd like to see him use his shot more, thought he overpassed at times tonight.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
This game was interesting looking back at past year preseason games. Obviously a little rust but I saw some potential. Flashes of good play.

Delia played well for sure.
Nieder and Perfetti were good (Ehlers on that line would add to their possession game as they tried to many times the dump and chase)
Liked the flashes from the kid line.

Didn’t like Appletons game or most of the defence

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I thought you were new but then you said Chibrikov almost got decaffeinated 🤣
Damn, one little slip up and I outed myself :laugh:

Looking at xGF%, it's unsurprising that the Lowry line dominated, and that Bauer-Dillon tanked. All other defensemen showed well by this measure.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad