GDT: Preseason #1 | Flyers at Capitals | September 22, 2024 | 3:00 PM | NHLN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I figure if they're close enough to being passable, you can eat into that window so they can see what everything really is and know what to work towards. Tell them no sweat if they don't stick. If they shock and blow away, then consider keeping them.

Camp and preseason is not a true NHL experience for these guys, and letting them see what it is if they can keep up is acceptable to me.

Edit: I don't think I'd do this with dmen though. Getting burned hard doesn't have value
I feel the same way on this topic, but then again, this is on the franchise to do their due diligence to see if the kid is mentally strong enough to understand that just because he doesn't stick after the 9 game tryout doesn't mean he's not good enough to make it next year, just that there are things they'd like him to work on and to fine tune his game at a lower level, that being said, I don't think he makes the team, or should make the team yet, although having him as our 3rd line center would be alot better than laughton being there, that's for sure.

However if he does stick I'd love to see them ship laughton and deslauriers out and roll with these lines

Foerster couts tk
Tippett frost MM
farabee Jett brink
Cates poehling hathaway

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Send Jett back to juniors after the exhibition season is over. Let him develop one more year like Cowan did last year. Besides I also have tickets for the World Juniors this year so I would like to see him on that squad.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Missed the first two periods b/c I watched the Eagles and recorded NHL network which decided I should watch the top 50 players instead of actual hockey. WTF?

Did catch a beautiful backhand goal by Brink.
However, this was basically an AHL exhibition game.
But Brink looks more NHL ready, last season mentally there but physically AHL.

Farabee was set back by that neck injury, a guy who needed to add strength basically lost a season.

I don't think Luchanko has a chance to stick, but I think they'll give him a chance to change their minds, first excel in the later exhibition games, then in his 9 game tryout period. If by some miracle he looks NHL ready, well, he has the body, he has the two way game, at 3C you can wait a year or two while he smooths off the rough edges.
Were you saying that in the first 35 games?

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Really solid game today. It is preseason so it is, what it is, but still some solid showings:

Top3 Today
Frost/Brink/Drysdale

1- Brink with that extra weight is having an easier time not getting out manned, those goals were super nice by him today. He was full motor the entire game

2- Frost turned it up, was really gelling with Michkov. You can tell the level of IQ both these guys have, and can only imagine what they'll be able to do with more ice together.
3- Drysdale, those 18 pounds are noticeable, but it hasn't slowed him down at all. Always noticeable.
Other Good Shout outs
  • Farabee - Looked super aggressive, and always seem to make things happen in the O-zone. He will be dangerous this year if he can keep his game consistent the entire season.
  • Luchanko - So smart, just always knows where he has to be, and his speed is incredible. Once he works on that shot, and gets a little more behind that, he is the type of players you put out in any situation, and I wouldn't blink and eye at that, even in the NHL at 18. Although I think he should be back in the OHL, get on Team Canada, and just dominate this year.
  • Michkov - Anytime he has the puck in the O-zone, things happen. He is a chance creating monster. Isn't afraid to get into the corner, in fact got an apple for those efforts. He will just keep getting better and it will be scary for the league when he does.
  • Tippett - Pretty solid typical outting for him.
  • Lycksell - I'm glad he scored because he was at it all game. If this guy can finish more he is 100% an NHLer. It felt like he always is breaking up other teams plays, or part of a high danger chance.
  • Bjarnason - You can tell why they like him, and I can immediately see how in a few years he could be an absolute beauty in nets. The size + always being squared, I can't see him not being an NHL goalie some day.
  • Surprise / Abols - I don't know much about him, and It's hard to expect him being an NHLer at 28, but I liked everything he brought to the table today. Physical, smart, decent speed, wouldn't be shocked if he did crack the 4th line if needed later this year. Most likely just an AHLer though

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Anyone check with John about the score of the game. I am a little confused the Flyers scored 6 times and they *checks notes* won the game. I mean I know it's pre-season not post but there is something about this scoring goals thing that I think should be catching on.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Send Jett back to juniors after the exhibition season is over. Let him develop one more year like Cowan did last year. Besides I also have tickets for the World Juniors this year so I would like to see him on that squad.
Yep. No sense in keeping him on the roster if he is going to be playing only 7 or 8 minutes a night playing with garbage. Go back to junior and build on his game

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Have you seen the rest of their lineup? Oshie and Backstrom are toast. Ovechkin and Carlson are at the end of their careers. It’s Wilson and the senior center players.
They will finish ahead of the Flyers. Neither factor into their plans this year. Not as grim as you make it by any means. They have some good prospect's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad