GDT: Preseason #1 | Flyers at Capitals | September 22, 2024 | 3:00 PM | NHLN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Obviously not a true test for this group, but that was as positive a pre-season game as you could get for opening night.

Tippett-Frost-Michkov were excellent early on... became less effective as the game wore on. I'm concerned that Tippett will hold the other two back, but there's plenty of time to figure things out.

Farabee-Luchanko-Brink were incredible. If Brink doesn't win the Hart, cancel the NHL. :sarcasm: His confidence was off the charts today.

No one from the other two lines stood out, but Lycksell and Cates are clearly above the group they had to play with.

Seeler-Drysdale were fine. Ginning and Grans are 23 years from being 23 years away. Just cut both. Andrae was solid, but will probably have to do more to win a spot over Zamula. Gill was taken out of the oven too early; needs more time to bake.

Fedotov and Bjarnason were both solid enough. I'm definitely concerned that Fedotov isn't capable of being a regular NHLer, though.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Luchanko play with Michkov any? Only way Luchanko should make the team as an 18 year old is if he’s too good to refuse a top 6 spot to
They didn't play together. Luchanko exclusively with Brink and Farabee, Michkov exclusively with Frost and Tippett.

Luchanko looked comfortable enough to stick with those two.

Foerster-Couts-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Farabee-Luchanko-Brink

... could be a solid top 9. Obviously will be different when Luchanko sees a full NHL lineup, but he looked very good today.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Obviously not a true test for this group, but that was as positive a pre-season game as you could get for opening night.

Tippett-Frost-Michkov were excellent early on... became less effective as the game wore on. I'm concerned that Tippett will hold the other two back, but there's plenty of time to figure things out.

Farabee-Luchanko-Brink were incredible. If Brink doesn't win the Hart, cancel the NHL. :sarcasm: His confidence was off the charts today.

No one from the other two lines stood out, but Lycksell and Cates are clearly above the group they had to play with.

Seeler-Drysdale was fine. Ginning and Grans are 23 years from being 23 years away. Just cut both. Andrae was solid, but will probably have to do more to win a spot over Zamula. Gill was taken out of the over too early; needs more time to bake.

Fedotov and Bjarnason were both solid enough. I'm definitely concerned that Fedotov isn't capable of being a regular NHLer, though.

It takes 5 players (4 at the very least) for a good transition game, and the line was mostly unlucky with defensemen who couldn't make any good pass, so guys had mostly to chase opponents for the puck.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
They didn't play together. Luchanko exclusively with Brink and Farabee, Michkov exclusively with Frost and Tippett.

Luchanko looked comfortable enough to stick with those two.

Foerster-Couts-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Farabee-Luchanko-Brink

... could be a solid top 9. Obviously will be different when Luchanko sees a full NHL lineup, but he looked very good today.

Would need Foerster to take a step offensively for this, but I wouldn't mind swapping Foerster and Tippett on those lines.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Seeler-Drysdale were fine. Ginning and Grans are 23 years from being 23 years away. Just cut both. Andrae was solid, but will probably have to do more to win a spot over Zamula. Gill was taken out of the oven too early; needs more time to bake.

Boulton did everything they asked. Look for an NHL contract by seasons end.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
It’s crazy how Michkov didn’t have an overly dominant game but ends up with 2 points, that’s just him to a T. Wait until this kid fully adjusts to the NHL. So much like Kucherov, doesn’t stand out on some nights as much and then you look at the score sheet and he has 3-4 points. The way he processes the game is unreal, love that he and Frost are already building that chemistry. I think Lunchanko needs another year of seasoning in juniors dominating and building confidence, even though it would be exciting to see him get his shot in the NHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'd be content if Luchanko got the 9 game trial and they send him back. Let him go to Guelph and dominate this year. It also allows him to refine his offensive game under Cory Stillman.

I'm hoping that Farabee finds a new level and becomes a point per game player. You can see the skill there and he's one of the best at five on five, but it's perplexing how he has difficulties with the power play (although I'm sure Thompson plays a huge role in that).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd be content if Luchanko got the 9 game trial and they send him back. Let him go to Guelph and dominate this year. It also allows him to refine his offensive game under Cory Stillman.

I'm hoping that Farabee finds a new level and becomes a point per game player. You can see the skill there and he's one of the best at five on five, but it's perplexing how he has difficulties with the power play (although I'm sure Thompson plays a huge role in that).

The team underutilizes the 9 game window.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I'm torn on the trial route - there's definitely some psychology against it

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
So great to see Flyers hockey again. The NHLers looked good in a preseason game, which was atypical. Luchanko is fast, tenacious and smart. Seems to be around the puck a lot which is great to see for a player his age. Michkov does creative stuff with the puck better than any Flyer since Giroux.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wrote this about Luchanko post-draft: "His biggest strength as a skater is off-puck when allowed a few strides/crossovers. I'd call his footwork and first step more okay, but he can get serious build up power. So much of his skating is without the puck or accelerating into windows for a puck." I think you saw that on multiple net drives where Farabee/Brink set him up. In what I've seen of his camp sample, there's not a lot of individual transition work, or advanced maneuvering, which goes back to Guelph. He's an unselfish intelligent connector, but I think the lack of high end skill is perceivable too. I think if he's new to your eyes, you can see why there's a projectable middle 6 center......and why there's a projectable middle 6 center.

The team underutilizes the 9 game window.

I feel traditionalist with this one: usually more harm than good comes from the 9 games. If they killed it in camp, then they should make the team, and 9 games for a rookie is a nothing sample. Teams also stretch those 9 games out with scratches, and then it can mess up their seasons when they get sent down 1+ month later.

Luchanko should absolutely not play this season. His strengths (straight line skating, forechecking, off puck intellect, mature body) line up with a quick high floor, but the things that need to improve (transition ability, 1v1 skills, creativity) necessitates OHL time. He was barely a point/game last season. But they refuse to trade Laughton, preemptively re-signed Hathaway.....there isn't even room for anyone besides Michkov.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Is there any chance at all the Luchanko might stick with the big club this year?
Shouldn’t be, but this team is run by idiots, so it’s possible. As Magua already pointed out, his floor is high enough that he could probably step in a be a 4C who can chip in on special teams right now, but his long term development would be better served playing another year in the OHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Missed the first two periods b/c I watched the Eagles and recorded NHL network which decided I should watch the top 50 players instead of actual hockey. WTF?

Did catch a beautiful backhand goal by Brink.
However, this was basically an AHL exhibition game.
But Brink looks more NHL ready, last season mentally there but physically AHL.

Farabee was set back by that neck injury, a guy who needed to add strength basically lost a season.

I don't think Luchanko has a chance to stick, but I think they'll give him a chance to change their minds, first excel in the later exhibition games, then in his 9 game tryout period. If by some miracle he looks NHL ready, well, he has the body, he has the two way game, at 3C you can wait a year or two while he smooths off the rough edges.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Solid effort by everyone you hoped would look good. They could be a fun team to watch again this year.

Biggest surprise of the game was finding out Gardner is still with the org. I had no idea.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Tbh, Drysdale is a great case study for why Luchanko should go back. Building the confidence to actually *use* all those fun skills is the biggest issue with blue chip young players. Drysdale never got the chance to have his way with the opposition, and to this day, you can see the lack of killer instinct when he has the puck on his stick.

I don’t want Luchanko to be a hesitant attacker. He will be if he’s forced to play a simplified game as a 3/4C as an 18 y/o in the NHL.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lunchano and Bonk are long shots, but doesn't hurt their development to stay in camp and play in the tougher exhibition games so they know what it takes to play in the NHL. First two games are AHL minus, second two AHL plus, third 3 or s when most prospects are sent to CHL or AHL are NHL minus.

The reason having a lot of 25 and under players is they're still young enough to progress.
Farabee needed strength, Drysdale needed strength, Brink needed strength and a little more quickness, Frost needs to be more assertive, Cates to polish his offense (that play where he stole the puck then passed it for an eventual goal), Zamula to be more decisive in his decision making, etc.

Game was a good start for these guys, need to build on it. They don't need giant steps, just to build on what they've done so far in their careers. And that progress is one of the things to look for in TC.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wrote this about Luchanko post-draft: "His biggest strength as a skater is off-puck when allowed a few strides/crossovers. I'd call his footwork and first step more okay, but he can get serious build up power. So much of his skating is without the puck or accelerating into windows for a puck." I think you saw that on multiple net drives where Farabee/Brink set him up. In what I've seen of his camp sample, there's not a lot of individual transition work, or advanced maneuvering, which goes back to Guelph. He's an unselfish intelligent connector, but I think the lack of high end skill is perceivable too. I think if he's new to your eyes, you can see why there's a projectable middle 6 center......and why there's a projectable middle 6 center.

I feel traditionalist with this one: usually more harm than good comes from the 9 games. If they killed it in camp, then they should make the team, and 9 games for a rookie is a nothing sample. Teams also stretch those 9 games out with scratches, and then it can mess up their seasons when they get sent down 1+ month later.

Luchanko should absolutely not play this season. His strengths (straight line skating, forechecking, off puck intellect, mature body) line up with a quick high floor, but the things that need to improve (transition ability, 1v1 skills, creativity) necessitates OHL time. He was barely a point/game last season. But they refuse to trade Laughton, preemptively re-signed Hathaway.....there isn't even room for anyone besides Michkov.

I figure if they're close enough to being passable, you can eat into that window so they can see what everything really is and know what to work towards. Tell them no sweat if they don't stick. If they shock and blow away, then consider keeping them.

Camp and preseason is not a true NHL experience for these guys, and letting them see what it is if they can keep up is acceptable to me.

Edit: I don't think I'd do this with dmen though. Getting burned hard doesn't have value

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad