GDT: Preseason – Capitals at Sabres – Wed Oct 1, 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: 550-AM

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Missed the game last night, but watched the highlights. Reinhardt's goal was beautiful, but not because of flash or any of that hockey voodoo. It was just nice to see the sabres making tape to tape, quick and crisp passes. Even better to see Reinhardt just put it on net and score his first NHL goal. Looked like a fun game to watch, last night.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Everyone keeps saying how Reinhart is always in the right spots like he hasn't made any mistakes. That just isn't true. There was one shift early in the first in particular where it seems like he missed a change and then did nothing but chase the puck and spin in circles until nearly getting run over by whichever sabre got possession and skated it out of the zone. There was also another shift later in the game where whoever had the puck for washington literally skated right around him like he was standing still and Reinhart was unable to catch up.

Not saying this to rag on him, just to add a little bit of perspective. He's young and he's going to make mistakes. The fact that he doesn't make many is very promising but anyone not seeing them at all is looking through rose-colored glasses. I'm not going to say whether he should be on the team or not as I'm not at all qualified to make that decision, I just see parallels to the early feelings towards grigorenko right after he was drafted - overemphasizing the positives, ignoring or excusing the negatives, excusing lack of production, etc. The bias towards wanting the shiny new top rated toy to be ready seems to be clouding the objectivity of some IMO.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I can't remember the last time I saw the Sabres playing such a dominant possession game. Patient, tape-to-tape passing, creative, giving each other time to handle the puck. Sure, it's pre-season and Caps didn't ice their best lineup, but it still says something about the potential.

Play of the game: Strachan's pass to Foligno's goal. Just a wonderful play.

That was a legitimately perfect pass down from the blueline. That's the kind of assist you hope to see Ristolainen rack up. Strachan had a good game, gotta admit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Everyone keeps saying how Reinhart is always in the right spots like he hasn't made any mistakes. That just isn't true. There was one shift early in the first in particular where it seems like he missed a change and then did nothing but chase the puck and spin in circles until nearly getting run over by whichever sabre got possession and skated it out of the zone. There was also another shift later in the game where whoever had the puck for washington literally skated right around him like he was standing still and Reinhart was unable to catch up.

Not saying this to rag on him, just to add a little bit of perspective. He's young and he's going to make mistakes. The fact that he doesn't make many is very promising but anyone not seeing them at all is looking through rose-colored glasses. I'm not going to say whether he should be on the team or not as I'm not at all qualified to make that decision, I just see parallels to the early feelings towards grigorenko right after he was drafted - overemphasizing the positives, ignoring or excusing the negatives, excusing lack of production, etc. The bias towards wanting the shiny new top rated toy to be ready seems to be clouding the objectivity of some IMO.

I think the best way to describe Reinhart to this point is…………

He hasn't looked out of place but he also hasn't done enough where you feel he really needs to be here.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
That was a legitimately perfect pass down from the blueline. That's the kind of assist you hope to see Ristolainen rack up. Strachan had a good game, gotta admit.

I want Strachan to make the team and score a goal or throw a big hit just to hear RJ say "release the Strachan!".

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I'll say it again. Those underwhelmed with Reinhart aren't appreciating what he does.

People just think "HIGH DRAFT PICK, MUST HIGHLIGHT REEL" He played a mighty fine game last night. He was never caught out of position, never made a bad play, and when he did he recovered, he has great composure, elite awareness in all three zones.

One thing I'm particularly impressed with is how he eludes a D-man and finds space. He's so good at just disappearing and re-appearing in a pocket of space ready to make a play.

This is a contradiction.

He made several mistakes. One mistake was carrying the puck behind the net and nearly turning it over in front of Enroth, before going over and scoring his goal. There were others. I agree he's there mentally, but his body is simply not ready and you can see it clear as day.

There is NO reason at all to rush Reinhart into the NHL.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This is a contradiction.

He made several mistakes. One mistake was carrying the puck behind the net and nearly turning it over in front of Enroth, before going over and scoring his goal. There were others. I agree he's there mentally, but his body is simply not ready and you can see it clear as day.

There is NO reason at all to rush Reinhart into the NHL.

Agreed. I like what I see and he is the player we thought we drafted. He just needs a year or so to build the body to do as his mind desires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad