Post-Game Talk: Preds@ Wings 10/12 6pm: The "Stop the F***ING puck, Tendy" edition.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm afraid to look at our shot map after this game. Too many unscreened shots from 35+ feet. Too few screens. Too few rebounds and ugly second attempts.

Need to figure out the 2nd and 3rd lines and let those units build some chemistry. Need to be careful with the puck and reduce the odd man rushes against.

Somebody needs to go ugly and get a goal or two.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Frustrating. Can't have a no offense game with this line up. Too much line scrambling, too many icings in the first. Bad D, but the big take away is zero offense, we had some good looks and it'll come together but we need to put some away.

Reactions: adsfan

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
I'm afraid to look at our shot map after this game. Too many unscreened shots from 35+ feet. Too few screens. Too few rebounds and ugly second attempts.

Need to figure out the 2nd and 3rd lines and let those units build some chemistry. Need to be careful with the puck and reduce the odd man rushes against.

Somebody needs to go ugly and get a goal or two.
This is why I was calling for Parssinen to 2c after Dallas. It's the only change I'd welcome, otherwise we need to trust these guys right now - on paper we are much better than we've seen.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
This is why I was calling for Parssinen to 2c after Dallas. It's the only change I'd welcome, otherwise we need to trust these guys right now - on paper we are much better than we've seen.
Every line needs solidifying right now. I don't hold the Fil/Ror/Gus line as sacrosanct. Figure out who between Luke, Stammer, Novak, Gus, Fil, Ror. Phil, Fil, March works as a line and go with it. Even the 4th line needs that 3rd member. Scary thing is that Phil has clicked with McCarron before.

Similar issues to the start of last season .... coaches need to figure out the forwards.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Can someone explain why you'd trot out a line of Smith, Big Sexy, and Jank/Sissons when you are down 2 and time is dropping below 3 minutes left?

Reactions: bdub24

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Every line needs solidifying right now. I don't hold the Fil/Ror/Gus line as sacrosanct. Figure out who between Luke, Stammer, Novak, Gus, Fil, Ror. Phil, Fil, March works as a line and go with it. Even the 4th line needs that 3rd member. Scary thing is that Phil has clicked with McCarron before.

Similar issues to the start of last season .... coaches need to figure out the forwards.
I also don't hold that line 'sacrosanct' but it is the one line we know works together at a really high level in this system so, especially when we're struggling to score, I'd be reluctant to take it apart.

I don't see any reason why that means you can't see a little overlap here and there but I want to see the lines figuring themselves out first. Even if that means Novak going back to 2C - I thought he looked good as 3c with Tomasino and Evangelista earlier on in the game so maybe that's a line that could use some time not being tampered with but someone has to anchor that second line, because on paper it should be scoring. I think Parssinen has the better credentials as a strong creative centre but I'm not on board with ditching Sissons, maybe you bench Tomasino and play Sissons on the third line wing. I don't know. Good job I'm not the coach!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
When Sissons was centre between March and Stam, he was digging out pucks and creating chances. He can't force them to shoot straight and score too. In short, he simply isn't the problem.

Coach doesn't seem to trust the 3rd line. On paper, they look like they should provide some offense, but in practice it seems like coach thinks Cole "Scoring Machine" Smith is the better option.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I also don't hold that line 'sacrosanct' but it is the one line we know works together at a really high level in this system so, especially when we're struggling to score, I'd be reluctant to take it apart.

I don't see any reason why that means you can't see a little overlap here and there but I want to see the lines figuring themselves out first. Even if that means Novak going back to 2C - I thought he looked good as 3c with Tomasino and Evangelista earlier on in the game so maybe that's a line that could use some time not being tampered with but someone has to anchor that second line, because on paper it should be scoring. I think Parssinen has the better credentials as a strong creative centre but I'm not on board with ditching Sissons, maybe you bench Tomasino and play Sissons on the third line wing. I don't know. Good job I'm not the coach!
All of the focus on centers bypasses the question if we have the right mix of wings on the top three lines. Maybe the lines just need more time to build chemistry ... maybe we have the wrong mix.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
All of the focus on centers bypasses the question if we have the right mix of wings on the top three lines. Maybe the lines just need more time to build chemistry ... maybe we have the wrong mix.
On that point, it did seem like March was keenly aware of who's on the opposite wing and was happy to pass up chances to force feed extra passes to that other superstar guy.

March is more of a fast break, odd-man rush sort of scorer (or he was in Vegas anyway). That line has been volatile so far, but I'm not sure Stamkos meshes with that. On the other hand, Fil did mesh well for a few years with a similar player in Arvy.

Oh well. They're all just identical Lego bricks. Keep slapping them together. :laugh:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
On that point, it did seem like March was keenly aware of who's on the opposite wing and was happy to pass up chances to force feed extra passes to that other superstar guy.

March is more of a fast break, odd-man rush sort of scorer (or he was in Vegas anyway). That line has been volatile so far, but I'm not sure Stamkos meshes with that. On the other hand, Fil did mesh well for a few years with a similar player in Arvy.

Oh well. They're all just identical Lego bricks. Keep slapping them together. :laugh:
Yeah, I don't think he's utilized right in this set up and he definitely needs to have more time with the puck other than to feed one timers. Combining him with Sissons, Novak, or Parsnip with Evangelista, Tomasino, or Gus as the other wing would be more optimal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad