GDT: Preds vs Stars 10/10 7pm: The "We're excited for the new season!" edition or...the "How many games will Saros miss?" edition.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
One very minor thing but I didn’t love Jankowski on the 4th line. He’s just not really much of an energy guy which is that lines identity.
I feel like I wouldn't want to waste Parssinen on the 4th line so I'm ok with it? Kind of like I'm sort of ok with Cole Smith now for the same reason. Neither of them (or Big Sexy) are liabilities, they do some solid penalty killing too, so I think I'm ok with it. I'm definitely not married to the guy, if you think about the iterations of that line over the last few years there's Tanner Jeannot, Mathieu Olivier, Yakov Trenin... I do feel like there's been better players in that line but I don't know who, in Nashville at least, I'd take him out for? Unless you put Sissons back in there in order to move Novak to the third line and maybe Parssinen into the 2C?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Lauzon's not very good
They've got him all screwed up looking for hits. He's skating the wrong way and angling like a forward rather then skating backwards and being able to control the puck carrier. That shit will work against lower quality forwards and he'll get his hits but against the teams with deep rosters he's going to struggle if he's facing the wrong direction all the time.
Oddly enough the way they were buzzing around and all the movement on the power play may be a bit of a deterrent for Stamkos to set up in his office and slap those one timers. It will be interesting to see how that settles out over the next few games.
The little bit that I saw of the powerplay I quite enjoyed the close support that help to create constant possession. I think that's something will find a balance and players will be able to settle into their positions after a few games.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I thought most of the forwards looked good last night. Stamkos was obviously going through it and didn't stand out until he hit that post with few seconds left. Marchy was better.

The 4th line was buzzing all night, although I do agree that Jankowkski couldn't get to the same level as Smith and McCarron. Could try Pärssinen there.

Evangelista and Tomasino were dangerous as was Novak especially after he got moved with those two.

Nyquist made some crafty plays and Forsberg & O'Reilly were their usual selves.

As for the defense, not so much. Didn't like Lauzon, though Fabbro was shaky at times and Schenn is obviously so far behind in footspeed that its not getting any easier for him. A guy like Statsney could really stand out at times like these.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Kaapo Kahkonen is on waivers... Contract is only $1M too
At this point, I think we take a chance on anybody. Not to disrespect Korn and what he may be able to do with Wedgewood, but time is short. Signing Lankinen would have been ideal before the Canucks got to him. Taking Bussi on waivers is something I'd have tried. I suspect Trotz is going to stand by his signing, however.

Maybe if we can all jump on Wedgewood hard enough he'll get a shutout on Saturday? Sounds like that's all we have left to hope for! :sarcasm:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I feel like I wouldn't want to waste Parssinen on the 4th line so I'm ok with it? Kind of like I'm sort of ok with Cole Smith now for the same reason. Neither of them (or Big Sexy) are liabilities, they do some solid penalty killing too, so I think I'm ok with it. I'm definitely not married to the guy, if you think about the iterations of that line over the last few years there's Tanner Jeannot, Mathieu Olivier, Yakov Trenin... I do feel like there's been better players in that line but I don't know who, in Nashville at least, I'd take him out for? Unless you put Sissons back in there in order to move Novak to the third line and maybe Parssinen into the 2C?
Yeah I don’t know who the solution is. We just don’t have another heavy forward on the roster at the moment but the line does work best when it’s on all out forechecking assault and it becomes more than the sum of its parts. Jankowski and Parsinnen are good enough players for the minutes but neither are what I’d call high intensity. L’Hereux would fit that mold better so possibly him later in the season.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah I don’t know who the solution is. We just don’t have another heavy forward on the roster at the moment but the line does work best when it’s on all out forechecking assault and it becomes more than the sum of its parts. Jankowski and Parsinnen are good enough players for the minutes but neither are what I’d call high intensity. L’Hereux would fit that mold better so possibly him later in the season.
Maybe an injury becomes the eventual solution that forces a new perspective from the braintrust. They seem to have their minds set atm in the current paradigm. :dunno:

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I Know I seem like the Fabbro fan boy but to me he was really good last night. Carrier Lauzon were caught out on half their shifts. Fabbro made some of the best defensive plays of anyone last night.
Fabbro is a very interesting case to me. I feel like he is a guy who really seems to like/be embedded in the culture of living in Nashville and enjoying being there, and has always had a leadership persona in his younger years... while at the same time on the ice just looks so much better to me than the team gives him credit for. Not perfect, he has his warts too. But it's just fascinating to me that his warts seem to be weighed so much above those of guys like Carrier/Lauzon.

It's just an unusual case to me... sometimes I DISAGREE with how certain players are used or deployed, but usually in those instances I at least understand the rationale. Fabbro's case is a little different, because I don't even understand the rationale. He looks like a fundamentally better player to me than the team seems to think of him. :dunno:

Reactions: hockey diva

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
Well, at least wedgie achieved a .800 sv%. I think his preseason % was .750, so maybe he’s improving.

I thought it was great that we outshot them, but in the third period I was kinda hoping the Stars would put more rubber on net to let wedgie practice not letting goals in.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
interesting - I was very meh on him in the first period - big fluff on a decent opportunity, then kinda ok for the rest. certainly didn't stand out for me. I did like him with Novak and Evangelista in general though in the third I suppose.
I thought he was playing fast and using his skill. He created some chances that weren't finished by him or his linemates, but also thought he played well outside of that. He won some battles on the boards in the 1st and had a great stick check on the back check to break up a breakaway. I thought he was decidedly more noticeable last night than other games. I still saw him with some of the hesitation after he gains the zone as he tends to fade towards the wall and gets snuffed out and doesn't really seem to have a plan after gaining entry.

Looking at the time on ice though Fabbro wasn’t trusted. Carrier was on the ice for 3 of the goals and was consistently out of position.
He got caught up ice far too often last night. Him and Lauzon both seemed to be engaging more in the O-zone than I felt comfortable with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad