Speculation: Predict your team's Waiver Wire Dmen this camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Any of the possible waiver guys look like they have potential to be a top 4 defenseman in a couple years, just not the near future?

There is a shot Folin does. He's got the skillset, he's just having trouble getting minutes in Minnesota's crowded D core.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
There is a shot Folin does. He's got the skillset, he's just having trouble getting minutes in Minnesota's crowded D core.

Wish there was a way the Kings could land Frolin in a post camp trade if it got to that point for both teams. something like Nick Shore or Dwight King for him.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Not much for the Jets. Top four spots are pretty locked up - Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Enstrom.

Then you have Mark Stuart, Brian Strait, Paul Postma, Ben Chiarot and I guess Julian Melchiori (all waiver eligible), plus Josh Morrissey (waiver exempt).

Can't really see the Jets waiving Stuart or Strait, Morrissey may make the team but is more likely to be the first injury call-up. So the top 7 is rounded out by Stuart, Strait, Chiarot. Postma may be a healthy scratch, or may be waived. Melchiori almost certain to go to the AHL and thus be waived.

Only other D prospects under contract are Nelson Nogier and Jan Kostalek, neither of which has any realistic shot at making the team out of training camp (and are waiver exempt anyways).

So:

Melchiori
maybe Postma

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Prosser or Folin if Waiver exempt Reilly makes the team. I suspect Reilly will start in the AHL however, and they will rotate as 6th/7th D.
I'm betting Prosser gets waived over Folin. After last season and if he plays the way he's expected in camp I think Reilly makes the team. Waiver exempt or not. Prosser will likely clear, and who cares if he doesn't. Folin probably would too, but chances are less likely.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Wish there was a way the Kings could land Frolin in a post camp trade if it got to that point for both teams. something like Nick Shore or Dwight King for him.

i get he's got a lot of potential and hes right handed but with how many d we already have and how many we have coming, does he really have a spot in la? I don't see him beating out gilbert or gravel. He would be in the 7th defenseman battle with trotman forbort scuderi and greene

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Depending on how the forward corps shakeout for the Blueshirts, Clendening may get the axe.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
we have drew McNabb Martinez muzzin making the team for sure Gilbert trotman gravel forbort greene scuderi trying for 3 spots It will most likely imo come down to forbort and Trotman for 7th defenseman.Greene and Scuderi will be waiver fodder

Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Gilbert-Forbort
Trotman/Greene

Gravel is still waiver exempt. Scuderi is for sure going to Ontario.

Though I'd prefer
Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Gravel-Forbort
Trotman

with Greene, Scuderi and Gilbert gone.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
For the Preds, Matt Irwin will be on waivers. Beyond that...it's tough to say.

There are four guys competing for 2 spots:

Yannick Weber(1 way deal, waiver eligible)
Matt Carle (1 way deal, waiver eligible)
Petter Granberg (2 way deal, waiver eligible)
Anthony Bitetto (2 way deal, waiver exempt)

So depending on how that shakes out, those are the names.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Not much for the Jets. Top four spots are pretty locked up - Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Enstrom.

Then you have Mark Stuart, Brian Strait, Paul Postma, Ben Chiarot and I guess Julian Melchiori (all waiver eligible), plus Josh Morrissey (waiver exempt).

Can't really see the Jets waiving Stuart or Strait, Morrissey may make the team but is more likely to be the first injury call-up. So the top 7 is rounded out by Stuart, Strait, Chiarot. Postma may be a healthy scratch, or may be waived. Melchiori almost certain to go to the AHL and thus be waived.

Only other D prospects under contract are Nelson Nogier and Jan Kostalek, neither of which has any realistic shot at making the team out of training camp (and are waiver exempt anyways).

So:

Melchiori
maybe Postma

Kichton will be on waivers. The big question is are they going to have 7 or 8 d men on the roster?

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
i get he's got a lot of potential and hes right handed but with how many d we already have and how many we have coming, does he really have a spot in la? I don't see him beating out gilbert or gravel. He would be in the 7th defenseman battle with trotman forbort scuderi and greene

he has an obtainable 4-5 ceiling and plays the same style as Voynov... but at 6' 3" 215.

they tried mcbain and schenn but they just couldn't hang with that first pass out of the zone like they had in Voynov and Mitchell. Trotman might be exactly what I see in Frolin but I have no faith in Gilbert, Forbort or Scuderi making the Kings. (especially with Gravel being a stud.)

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
he has an obtainable 4-5 ceiling and plays the same style as Voynov... but at 6' 3" 215.

they tried mcbain and schenn but they just couldn't hang with that first pass out of the zone like they had in Voynov and Mitchell. Trotman might be exactly what I see in Frolin but I have no faith in Gilbert, Forbort or Scuderi making the Kings. (especially with Gravel being a stud.)

The thing your missing is Gravel can be sent down. So even with him being the better player he may go down so they can hold onto Forbort.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
The thing your missing is Gravel can be sent down. So even with him being the better player he may go down so they can hold onto Forbort.

I fully understand that. I just think it would be smart to get more right handed NHL ready ppl in the kings pipeline instead of planning on playing martinez and gravel on their offsides. La Due is the first prospect in line and he's at least a full season out.

what I'd like to see out of camp.

McNabb - Doughty

Muzzin - Martinez

Gravel - Greene

Trotman

what I expect to see out of camp.

McNabb - Doughty

Muzzin - Gilbert

Martinez - Greene

Forbort

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Potential Avalanche waiver eligible Dmen:

Mat Clark: will definitely be exposed (AHL lifer)

Ryan Stanton: Most likely will be exposed (played decent for Van couple years ago, just too many bodies ahead of him who we want to see and are also waiver eligible but not on a 1way contract; might steal a spot in camp though)

Duncan Siemens: most likely will be exposed (23 year old former 1st round physical shutdown Dman who has been slow to develop; might be worried someone claims him and put on bench, but should be in AHL developing his game further)

Patrick Wiercioch: probably not exposed (older RFA with offensive potential; depends on camp, if we keep 7 or 8, where Bigras ends up, if they go with Siemens instead)

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I fully understand that. I just think it would be smart to get more right handed NHL ready ppl in the kings pipeline instead of planning on playing martinez and gravel on their offsides. La Due is the first prospect in line and he's at least a full season out.

what I'd like to see out of camp.

McNabb - Doughty

Muzzin - Martinez

Gravel - Greene

Trotman

what I expect to see out of camp.

McNabb - Doughty

Muzzin - Gilbert

Martinez - Greene

Forbort

Yep I agree with everything here. And I like you would rather see Gravel with the big club but he will probably start in Ontario cause of the waiver rules.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
:canes

Keegan Lowe
Dennis Robertson
Jake Chelios

Figure the defense heading in to the season will look like this:

Slavin - Faulk
Hanifin - Pesce
Hainsey - Murphy
Tennyson

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Gilbert-Forbort
Trotman/Greene

Gravel is still waiver exempt. Scuderi is for sure going to Ontario.

Though I'd prefer
Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Gravel-Forbort
Trotman

with Greene, Scuderi and Gilbert gone.

Dean more or less said gravel has a spot on the team this year as long as he doesn't have a super bad preseason. I don't see any way he goes down. Greene has already been waved once I honestly see it again unless forbort or tortman both suck
I think Gilbert is going to surprise king fans and fill in nicely rotating with mcnabb in the top four. I could see it looking like this
doughty muzzin
martinez mcnabb
gilbert gravel
forbert

Or
doughty mcnabb
muzzin gilbert
martinez gravel
forbort

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I think gilbert will surprise king fans Dean seems to get lucky with players coming off injuries (williams gaborik( to a degree) handzus ) I am hoping he can rotate into top 4 with mcnabb I also don't see folin in a 4 spot

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I believe there's a quote from dean that gravel will be given every opportunity to make this team He has a spot to lose or something along those lines I would be surprised if he isn't on the opening night roster

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

I'm not trying to single you out, but I keep seeing stuff like this from Kings fans and it blows my mind. What exactly about Gravel's whopping 5 NHL games makes him a stud? He's a meh 24 year old who is still waiver eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad