Predict the Quarter Final Winners

Pick The 4 Winners

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Honestly there is just no team I dislike and would actively cheer against because I want them to lose (as opposed to simply supporting the other team more, but no biggie if they don’t make it). It’s because Russia is not here.
Russia is the one team I've never cheered for in my life, it's simply not in me.

It won't be the same without you, buddy. :)
thanks bud.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I’ll sadly miss the game. It starts at 3:20am and I have early morning client meetings I have to show up for looking like I am being propped up by more than an industrial quantity of coffee and Adrenalin.

If I post you’ll know I woke up in the middle of the night a d could not help myself.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Honestly there is just no team I dislike and would actively cheer against because I want them to lose (as opposed to simply supporting the other team more, but no biggie if they don’t make it). It’s because Russia is not here.
I'm the same I like all the nations. Some quibbles at times but generally a fan.

I will say, Russian U20 teams I always found damn entertaining. They went so hard against Canada. Loved those games.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Russia is the one team I've never cheered for in my life, it's simply not in me.
I grew up cheering against them. It was the team of the occupier, as simple as that. The often incredibly arrogant and condescending behaviour of their team did not help. I grew up in what was Communist Czechoslovakia, my mother was a student when she woke up in the middle of the night in 1968 thinking there was an earthquake, but it was the Russian tanks rolling into Prague.

Hockey like all sports was used as a huge propaganda tool in the Soviet Block, so it mattered - to those asking naively so often”what does the occupation have to do with sport”. Also, in a country ruled by an occupier, international sporting occasions are the only time you can stick it to them, so beating the Russians meant so much more. People were delirious with joy when we beat them in Prague in 1985 in the medal round en route to the gold medal.

Of course, after the fall of Communism a rivalry like this becomes less intense but is still there.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I grew up cheering against them. It was the team of the occupier, as simple as that. The often incredibly arrogant and condescending behaviour of their team did not help. I grew up in what was Communist Czechoslovakia, my mother was a student when she woke up in the middle of the night in 1968 thinking there was an earthquake, but it was the Russian tanks rolling into Prague.

Hockey like all sports was used as a huge propaganda tool in the Soviet Block, so it mattered - to those asking naively so often”what does the occupation have to do with sport”. Also, in a country ruled by an occupier, international sporting occasions are the only time you can stick it to them, so beating the Russians meant so much more. People were delirious with joy when we beat them in Prague in 1985 in the medal round en route to the gold medal.

Of course, after the fall of Communism a rivalry like this becomes less intense but is still there.
Yeah I'm an old timer and the rivalry between Canada and Russia had a lot of political overtones as well. For younger Canadian hockey fans i'm sure the U.S-Canada rivalry is the big one now but to our generation Canada-Russia will never be duplicated. It's less intense now after the fall of Communism but it's still there.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1716435058517.png

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1716474113115.png

Well, let's see how good everyone is. I picked the opposite 4 and went all upsets.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I figured out how to shut it down at 9:30 - it wasn't so hard after all. :)
Thanks.. sorry if I created work! On the Oiler's Nucks one.. they kept changing their votes as it went a along. I say close the poll before puck drop.

Eg. I may change my vote to Canada after 5 minutes.lol

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks.. sorry if I created work! On the Oiler's Nucks one.. they kept changing their votes as it went a along. I say close the poll before puck drop.

Eg. I may change my vote to Canada after 5 minutes.lol
Ha, ha.

Don't be silly. Happy to do it. :)

juppy611

May 10, 2024
Well so far Group A 2 and Group B 0. So I’m picking Finland and CZE for the other QF games. 😜

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad