Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
I have made this thread many years in a row, can only find the past 2 years:

I've gotten all playoff teams right both years (not that it was that hard), 2021 was pretty good, 2022 Boston stands out as a big miss (to be fair, who saw that coming):

Toronto-110 points: I don't think their signings move the needle come playoffs, but they're always a great regular season team, no reason to assume differently. I don't think there's much to discuss here, both fans and detractors will say "wait till April"

Boston- 105 points: I am torn on where to put Boston, I could see them anywhere from 1st to 4th. I think they overachieved considerably last year (to put up that many points, you have to honestly) and they've had a couple significant losses (I am assuming Bergeron will be back but they'll have to move Swayman to fit him, plus Hall and Krejci)

Tampa-102 points: As a Florida fan, where was 2023 playoff Vasilevskiy vs Florida the past 2 years? Tampa has shown they don't care about the regular season, having an average 2023 before getting a significant let down performance in net in their round 1 series where they were the better team for long stretches. They just need to get in.

Florida- 99 points: Lost in Florida's cinderella run after making the playoffs with 92 points only because the Pens choked is the fact they were the best team in the league in 2022. Did they overachieve that regular season? Yes. Did they underachieve in 2023? Also yes. If Bobrovsky remembers he's an NHL goalie before January this year, they'll be in a much better place. Ekblad and Montour being out early will be a significant concern with their alreayd thin blueline, but at least Marc Staal is gone.

Buffalo-97 points: This was a tough one for me. If anyone missed out on the 2nd half Sabres, they missed a very exciting team. Choosing to do nothing at the TDL when they were so close and had missed the playoffs a million straight years is not what I'd have done as a GM, but despite that they just missed out. Devon Levi should be a star. I just don't know what team ahead of them here they're knocking out.

Ottawa Senators-93 points: Another team I really like, unfortunately their late sale meant lame ducks GM Dorion and DJ Smith are back, which hurt them significantly. I don't think Korpisalo is good, and his contract is terrible. Reminded me of Chiarelli signing Koskinen right before getting fired. Korpisalo behind that blue line and I just can't see it, even with their great top 6.

Detroit Red Wings- 87 points: As I write this, I see how stacked this division is. I don't think the Yzerplan was as bad as some have said this off-season (like the Holl contract is terrible, but is it a huge deal?) but they're just another team with some good players stuck in a logjam of teams ahead of them.

Montreal Canadiens-69 points: I have no idea how this team is going to win any games in this division. This is another development year for their young players, the team will be bad. I don't have much to add? I think even on HF we'll get universal consensus here.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I have made this thread many years in a row, can only find the past 2 years:

I've gotten all playoff teams right both years (not that it was that hard), 2021 was pretty good, 2022 Boston stands out as a big miss (to be fair, who saw that coming):

Toronto-110 points: I don't think their signings move the needle come playoffs, but they're always a great regular season team, no reason to assume differently. I don't think there's much to discuss here, both fans and detractors will say "wait till April"

Boston- 105 points: I am torn on where to put Boston, I could see them anywhere from 1st to 4th. I think they overachieved considerably last year (to put up that many points, you have to honestly) and they've had a couple significant losses (I am assuming Bergeron will be back but they'll have to move Swayman to fit him, plus Hall and Krejci)

Tampa-102 points: As a Florida fan, where was 2023 playoff Vasilevskiy vs Florida the past 2 years? Tampa has shown they don't care about the regular season, having an average 2023 before getting a significant let down performance in net in their round 1 series where they were the better team for long stretches. They just need to get in.

Florida- 99 points: Lost in Florida's cinderella run after making the playoffs with 92 points only because the Pens choked is the fact they were the best team in the league in 2022. Did they overachieve that regular season? Yes. Did they underachieve in 2023? Also yes. If Bobrovsky remembers he's an NHL goalie before January this year, they'll be in a much better place. Ekblad and Montour being out early will be a significant concern with their alreayd thin blueline, but at least Marc Staal is gone.

Buffalo-97 points: This was a tough one for me. If anyone missed out on the 2nd half Sabres, they missed a very exciting team. Choosing to do nothing at the TDL when they were so close and had missed the playoffs a million straight years is not what I'd have done as a GM, but despite that they just missed out. Devon Levi should be a star. I just don't know what team ahead of them here they're knocking out.

Ottawa Senators-93 points: Another team I really like, unfortunately their late sale meant lame ducks GM Dorion and DJ Smith are back, which hurt them significantly. I don't think Korpisalo is good, and his contract is terrible. Reminded me of Chiarelli signing Koskinen right before getting fired. Korpisalo behind that blue line and I just can't see it, even with their great top 6.

Detroit Red Wings- 87 points: As I write this, I see how stacked this division is. I don't think the Yzerplan was as bad as some have said this off-season (like the Holl contract is terrible, but is it a huge deal?) but they're just another team with some good players stuck in a logjam of teams ahead of them.

Montreal Canadiens-69 points: I have no idea how this team is going to win any games in this division. This is another development year for their young players, the team will be bad. I don't have much to add? I think even on HF we'll get universal consensus here.
Dont underestimate the Boston Bruins you can get burned .

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Toronto - Still at the top and I actually really like their two signings of Bert and Domi. Defense is a huge issue though still.
Tampa - Their core is still top of the league but they've lost a lot of depth guys so I think they'll finish below Toronto
Ottawa - They have the team to be there, and I think Korpisalo should be an improvement over Talbot
Buffalo - Like what they're doing. Big question is goaltending and the ability to have consistency after some players had career years but I think if they can get decent enough goaltending they'll make the playoffs
Florida - Decent team but bob is not going to repeat what he did in the playoffs and I think they'll have a SCF hangover
Montreal - When they were healthy, they had enough enthusiasm up front, plus the style they play, to get some bounces and win enough high scoring games to have them in the 9-12 range.
Boston - Big **asterisk** here with who's going to be in the middle. If Bergeron and Krejci are gone plus losing Hall would mean they are even more of a one line team than people thought they were in the past. If both play, this obviously changes. But after Pasta and Marchand, their next best player up front is.....Coyle? Defense is good and in nets I think they'll be fine even if Ullmark comes back down to earth given they have Swayman.
Detroit - Defense is just bad. They brought in decent depth guys that will have them compete but I don't see much offense even with adding Debrincat

edit: Forgot Buffalo :facepalm:

Last edited:

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Jfresh's standings predictions for this year:

4zRXqmK.png

Last year:

xizqTsw.png

Mine:

Boston-108 points
Florida-104 points
Toronto-102 points
Tampa-99 points
Buffalo-95 points
Ottawa-87 points
Detroit-85 points
Montreal-64 points

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
1) Toronto - 110 points
2) Tampa - 102 points
3) Florida - 100 points
4) Buffalo - 99 points
5) Ottawa - 95 points
6) Boston (They have to decline at some point right??) - 93 points
7) Detroit - 86 points
8) Montreal - 74 points

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
1. :leafs 112 points

2. :bolts 102 points

3. :bruins99 points

4. :sens97 points

5. :sabres96 points

6. :panthers91 points

7. :wings82 points

8. :habs15 points
You overestimating Habs :laugh:

Toronto - Still at the top and I actually really like their two signings of Bert and Domi. Defense is a huge issue though still.
Tampa - Their core is still top of the league but they've lost a lot of depth guys so I think they'll finish below Toronto
Ottawa - They have the team to be there, and I think Korpisalo should be an improvement over Talbot
Florida - Decent team but bob is not going to repeat what he did in the playoffs and I think they'll have a SCF hangover
Montreal - When they were healthy, they had enough enthusiasm up front, plus the style they play, to get some bounces and win enough high scoring games to have them in the 9-12 range.
Boston - Big **asterisk** here with who's going to be in the middle. If Bergeron and Krejci are gone plus losing Hall would mean they are even more of a one line team than people thought they were in the past. If both play, this obviously changes. But after Pasta and Marchand, their next best player up front is.....Coyle? Defense is good and in nets I think they'll be fine even if Ullmark comes back down to earth given they have Swayman.
Detroit - Defense is just bad. They brought in decent depth guys that will have them compete but I don't see much offense even with adding Debrincat
Is Buffalo relocated?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

The Leafs' defence hasn't been an issue for years. They can't score and lack finishers throughout the lineup. That's the issue.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Boston
Florida
Ottawa
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal

I think its a pretty interesting division this year. I think will be more competitive than years past.

Not going to count Boston out personally until they actually drop out.

Heath and goaltending make Florida a wild card.

I think Ottawa and Buffalo both have the chance to push for a playoff spot. I think it really just depends on the goaltending that each team gets.

Detroit and Montreal likely in the gutter for a long time.

Reactions: wetcoast

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Atlantic this year is going to be even more tough IMO

Sabres and Sens should be a lot better this year compared to last year. Bruins, Bolts, Panthers, Leafs will be fighting it out at the top anyway.

Panthers TBD given injury to Tkachuk, and other scenarios. Can Bob continue with his playoff form in regular season?

Atlantic is probably the toughest division to rank IMO

Reactions: SENStastic

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Atlantic this year is going to be even more tough IMO

Sabres and Sens should be a lot better this year compared to last year. Bruins, Bolts, Panthers, Leafs will be fighting it out at the top anyway.

Panthers TBD given injury to Tkachuk, and other scenarios. Can Bob continue with his playoff form in regular season?

Atlantic is probably the toughest division to rank IMO
I agree, a lot of good teams. I'm not sure Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa have done enough to unseat the other 4, but it's certainly possible.

Florida struggled in the season but turned it on in the playoffs. I'm sure they'll build off that confidence and make it back to the playoffs.

One of Toronto, Tampa, and Boston is due to fall off. Could Toronto be distracted by contract negotiations for a couple of its stars? Tampa seems to lose guys every offseason but always has a next man up. Boston obviously took a huge hit upfront but their defense and goaltending is still top of the league so they'll grind out plenty of wins still. If Bergeron comes back I think they finish top 2 in the division, if not I think they're 3rd or 4th.

Assuming no Bergeron, here's my take at the rankings:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Boston
4. TB
5. Buffalo (gets in playoffs as a wildcard)
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
1. Toronto: The most complete team in the division. Still goaltending issues, but 1-12 up front and 1-6 on the back end is the best in the division. If they can solve the goalie issues, they'll run away with the division

2. Buffalo: The upstart team. Their defense has been solidified, forwards have grown quite well, and I think Levi is the answer in nets for them. They're going to score a bunch and just need Levi to be average/above average to get to this point.

3. Florida: Injuries are a big concern for me, and that is really the only thing. If Ekblad and Montour are out for a long time into the season, this is where they will stand. If they're more on the Boston timeline from last season, I think they win the division. The remaking of their defense from Staal and Gudas turning into OEL, Reilly, Kulikov, and Mikkola is a major upgrade that I'm not sure many anticipate.

4. Tampa Bay: This is where things start to get shaky, but I'd lean on the team that has their big core pieces still around. After 3 straight long springs, they were able to get a bunch of rest this time around. I am concerned about their depth, but there were a few shrewd moves made to try and extend this thing.

5. Boston: Have a hard time not including them in the postseason chase, but this could be the year it happens, especially if Bergeron and Krejci are officially done. I have a feeling Bergeron is not, but Krejci I think is done. Defense is still good. Ullmark/Swayman is the top tandem out there, but this really could be where you see a re-tool begin.

6. Detroit: Deep team up front, maybe one top tier type forward away from being a playoff team, and maybe Raymond can take off big time this season. Defense is good, but not great. Goalie is an issue here. If Seider takes a big step forward, they could make the playoffs.

7. Ottawa: I don't see the improvement needed to jump into the postseason. Korpisalo deal is questionable at best. Their move up the standings has to be internal upgrades, and I could see them in the discussion for a while, but tailing off.

8. Montreal: Defense and goaltending. It will hold them back until internal improvement happens. Their forward group is solid, but they'll have a hard time getting out of their own zone and keeping pucks out of the net.

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Sens fan evaluating Sens:

Overall I see the Senators being an improved team.

Adds to the Roster
- Josh Norris (5gp) (2nd line Goal scoring center)
- Kubalik (2nd line LW 20g-45 poiint player)
- Chychrun (12 gp) (Top pairing Defense with a cannon, injury prone)
- Korpisalo (veteran NHL goalie)
- typical bottom roster shuffle

Roster Removals
- Debrincat
- Talbot

Goaltending
- was bad last year with a under .900 save% for the year. It can't be worse.

Injuries
- Yeah, injuries are normal, so Norris is back, but somebody is gonna get hurt.

Internal Growth
- The team is littered with < 25 year olds in key spots, expect internal growth. Giroux is the one that may decline due to age.

Cap Space
- There is still 5 million in cap space, so perhaps they will add to the roster

Biggest Weakness
- The bottom 6 forwards are not up to snuff. Injuries to the top 6 is the Achilles Heel of the Senators.

Biggest Strength
- Defense is easily top 10, strongest it has been in years.

Other
- What happens to Formenton (not on roster) and perhaps Batherson (top 6 RW)?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
1 -Toronto
2 -Boston
3 -Florida
4 -Buffalo
5 -Tampa
6 -Ottawa
7 -Detroit
8 -Montreal

4-6 are probably interchangeable but I think in terms of momentum, Buffalo is going one-way and Tampa is going the other. Ottawa could add someone at the TDL that pushes them over the top.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa will float around 2 and 3 all season and pick it up towards the end of the season like always. People will overrate regular season like always. It's never the best team in the regular season that does it in the playoffs. See the Bruins and tampa historic seasons of late for examples.

Reactions: vshun

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sens fan evaluating Sens:

Overall I see the Senators being an improved team.

Adds to the Roster
- Josh Norris (5gp) (2nd line Goal scoring center)
- Kubalik (2nd line LW 20g-45 poiint player)
- Chychrun (12 gp) (Top pairing Defense with a cannon, injury prone)
- Korpisalo (veteran NHL goalie)

Roster Removals
- Debrincat
- Talbot

Goaltending
- was bad last year with a under .900 save% for the year. It can't be worse.

Injuries
- Yeah, injuries are normal, so Norris is back, but somebody is gonna get hurt.

Internal Growth
- The team is littered with < 25 year olds in key spots, expect internal growth. Giroux is the one that may decline due to age.

Cap Space
- There is still 5 million in cap space, so perhaps they will add to the roster

Biggest Weakness
- The bottom 6 forwards are not up to snuff. Injuries to the top 6 is the Achilles Heel of the Senators.

Biggest Strength
- Defense is easily top 10, strongest it has been in years.

Other
- What happens to Formenton (not on roster) and perhaps Batherson (top 6 RW)?

Surprised you're picking defense over offense as their biggest strength for the Sens?
20th in GA/G last year, does Korpisalo and full year of Chychrun take them up 10 spots?
Offense was 18th despite 7th in shots for and an 8th ranked PP.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree, a lot of good teams. I'm not sure Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa have done enough to unseat the other 4, but it's certainly possible.

Florida struggled in the season but turned it on in the playoffs. I'm sure they'll build off that confidence and make it back to the playoffs.

One of Toronto, Tampa, and Boston is due to fall off. Could Toronto be distracted by contract negotiations for a couple of its stars? Tampa seems to lose guys every offseason but always has a next man up. Boston obviously took a huge hit upfront but their defense and goaltending is still top of the league so they'll grind out plenty of wins still. If Bergeron comes back I think they finish top 2 in the division, if not I think they're 3rd or 4th.

Assuming no Bergeron, here's my take at the rankings:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Boston
4. TB
5. Buffalo (gets in playoffs as a wildcard)
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Montreal

I think sens struggled because of really bad goaltending. I think they have it solved that now eventhough not perfect but definitely better than what they had before.

Sabres were pretty much in the race last time around too; with their younger players gaining experience I think if they continue their trajectory of getting better they may compete for playoff spot.

Tampa last year I see that as an outlier as they had 3 years of SCF runs continuously. I think they will be in the mix. They have norris winning d-man (Hedman), art-ross (Kucherov), rocket (stamkos), selke level center (point) and vezina level goaltending (Vasy); I wouldn't count them out yet.

Florida is a coin flip depending on how well Tkachuk heals and if Bob is able to continue his playoff form in regular season.

Boston like you said, their defense and goalie situation is pretty good; I think they will be in the mix. Boston did deal Hall so I assume Boston is looking to re-tool this year and let the chips fall where they may even if Bergeron decides to come back; I don't think boston is going to mortgage future this season.

Leafs have been managed terribly by their former management IMO (I am a Leafs fan); Dubas absolutely screwed the Leafs. Given contract year for Matthews and Nylander; and especially Nylander I think they will produce offensively no doubt; not sure if their defense and goal tending will hold. Leafs' weakest link is defense and goal tending IMO. Of all the teams they are competing against Leafs are the only team without a bonafide #1D. Rielly is good but far from a true #1 D-man.

Montreal and Red Wings I think will continue to build so I don't think they will push for playoffs this season at least.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
X:bruins - (110 pts) overall offense takes a hit but their PP likely stays top 10 with Pasta, they still have a solid defense and may get some regression in net but shouldn't falter the teams will power to keep the window from closing for one more year.
Some cap will need to be shed of course but wonder if they can swing a big deal for Lindholm or Scheifele if Bergeron isn't back? Carlo as main piece?

X:bolts - (107 pts) I think they get healthy, they are motivated, had time to regroup and will push hard down the stretch to be ready for playoffs. They lost some good depth but still have elite offensive players and quality depth on defense and in net. They likely have another decent 3 year window.

X:leafs - (105 pts) Domi and Bert should replace most of depth scoring left in free agency, Reaves and Klingberg are odd moves. Can argue they got worse or slightly better?
As long as Nylander isn't moved, they continue to be a solid offensive team, should be a top 10ish team defensively but I am unsure about goaltending, if Samsonov can repeat? Woll looks promising but needs bigger sample size.

X:panthers - (100 pts) definitely riding injury bug on defense to start year, schedule in October isn't too tough but if at least one of Montour or Ekblad are back before mid January, they should still be a great offense with no major losses up front, a mid pack defense and good enough goaltending from Bob and Knight/Stolarz. Not a lot of turnover here but chemistry with patchwork defense will be key, their PK should be better, all players added in July addressed this. They had a taste of the Cup run, should be motivated and deep enough to hit 100pts, securing another playoff ticket.

NO PLAYOFFS

:sens - (94 pts) I think they get close but just miss out again, that defense and goaltending still make me question the consistency.
No doubt they score a lot to keep the belief alive but just not sold on their coach as well. Wondering if they go after a big name if he can't get them playing playoff hockey come April.
They need another year of losing and chemistry built on defense and a legit #1 goalie.

:sabres - (92 pts) Had them ahead of Sens a month ago but the Sens get a slight advantage here in net. I like Sabres offense just as much, as well as the potential for a great defense in a few years but their net leaves me thinking they still don't get in without a premium add here.
If so, I have them leap frog the Sens and would make them a playoff team, making 5 playoff teams from the Atlantic. Hopefully ownership gives green light to spend once they feel they're ready, feels another year or two away before they truly become a consistent playoff team.

:wings - (82pts) The moves made don't inspire a lot of true belief for me, they will still struggle in a 3 positional areas IMO, still need a lot of time defensively with their top blue chips, unless another big trade happens on defense, I think they miss by 15 points or more. Not sure they're better than the teams listed this year or any time in the future, outside the collapse of Boston (has to happen...riiight?)

:habs (75 pts) More of the same, insulate the young core pieces gaining experience with vets or average players, likely prepare for another top 10 pick and eventually draft one more group to develop before starting to transition to a bubble team come 2024-25. Not gonna be a fun year other than seeing some decent highlights from their better players.

Last edited:
Reactions: vshun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad