Predict Nurse's own-goal total for 24-25

How many goals against will go off of Nurse this season?

• Total voters

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It took 104:25 for Nurse to deflect his first puck into our net this year.

This is a stat I've always been interested in and thought it would be interesting to make a game of it and see who can correctly predict how many goals against go off of him this year.

I will update the thread as he continues to score against us.

Goal 1

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I remember when this constantly happened early in his career and it was excused away due to inexperience and learning the angles.

Fast forward a decade and we’re still here. Don’t know if I can ever recall a player so hopelessly unable to learn anything. If anything, he’s forgotten things that he actually did well as a rookie and has slid backwards completely.

I’ll go with 8. About 1 every 10 game span.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We need a clearer definition of own goal to make a prediction for the poll. Are we talking about clear cut off the stick deflections like we saw last night or do pucks deflected off his body count as well? If it’s both Nurse could easily be a 30 own goal scorer.
It would be fun in a macabre sort of way to keep a tally going all season to see what that number is. I’m kinda surprised we haven’t done that before.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
vegeta-its-over9000.gif

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
We need a clearer definition of own goal to make a prediction for the poll. Are we talking about clear cut off the stick deflections like we saw last night or do pucks deflected off his body count as well? If it’s both Nurse could easily be a 30 own goal scorer.
It would be fun in a macabre sort of way to keep a tally going all season to see what that number is. I’m kinda surprised we haven’t done that before.

Any goal that deflects off his his body or equipment. Stick and skates are fair game.

No subjectively in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Why can't we go over 15?

Edit* If it's goals off Nurse's body or stick, I say 41.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He did it consistently during the most important games of the year in the playoffs. Why should we expect he lets up now. This dudes an anti-defenseman.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Cult of Hockey guys have actually been keeping track of this over the years. They said yesterday that in 2023-24, Nurse had more grade-A scoring chances against his team bounce off of him than the rest of the D-core combined.

I mean, sometimes it's bad luck... and a lot of the time, it's just Nurse.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What a toxic thread. And this supposed to be the oilers forums ffs

Typical hate thread on HFOil.

Relax guys, it's just a bit of fun. I'm fully on board with winning the division this year. Just trying to make light of the struggles. Nobody's making you participate. As a fanbase I'd like to hope we're now resilient enough to laugh at ourselves once in a while.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Relax guys, it's just a bit of fun. I'm fully on board with winning the division this year. Just trying to make light of the struggles. Nobody's making you participate.
Yup. It’s a reality that these types of goals happen from this player. Can’t hide from it, so it is fair play to talk about it. Sorry guys,it's not all unicorns, rainbows and lollipops.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Relax guys, it's just a bit of fun. I'm fully on board with winning the division this year. Just trying to make light of the struggles. Nobody's making you participate. As a fanbase I'd like to hope we're now resilient enough to laugh at ourselves once in a while.
Yeah honestly we get shit on enough by 31 other teams fans, do we really need to do it amongst each other?

I get it somewhat sometimes all you can do is laugh. But it's way to early in the season to start . Just my opinion...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This thread is gold and I wouldn't consider it toxic and Nurse fairly deserves this he's such an expert at own goals. I was going to mention his deflection yesterday was brilliantly taken with finding top corner. Swish, nothing but net, Kia would be proud.

I don't know what to vote as I'm not an expert. ;)

I guessed 12 and that his GA>GF. Once I picked 12 it seemed evident the other answer was set up.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Yeah, I'm sure this is a thread about laughing at ourselves as a fanbase & not just another chance to heap abuse on a player that already receives the most on the team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The Cult of Hockey guys have actually been keeping track of this over the years. They said yesterday that in 2023-24, Nurse had more grade-A scoring chances against his team bounce off of him than the rest of the D-core combined.

I've been watching hockey for over 60 years. I honestly can't remember anyone even close in terms of how many own goals Nurse has had. Maybe this is just observational bias on my part. BUt it really is quite uncanny.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Best thread since @Cloned did Fire Woodcroft.

Also there is nothing wrong with self deprecating humor! When things go bad it’s alright to laugh at yourself. And we’ve had plenty of practice at that!

Great thread @Took a pill in Sbisa

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Are there actually seasonal numbers posted for this? It would be nice to have some sort of baseline so we could see if Nurse is having a good year or bad year as the season progresses.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah, I'm sure this is a thread about laughing at ourselves as a fanbase & not just another chance to heap abuse on a player that already receives the most on the team.
You’ve been here for ten years. You must know that when things are going well this board is all back slaps and giggles. But when things are going badly the infighting and criticism of players is legendary. I don’t participate in any other online forums so I have no idea if that’s the norm or not. Human nature would suggest that it probably is.

I defended Nurse for years on this board. Won’t do it anymore. He undeserving. If I was the coach I’d be yelling at him after every game. For me it’s not about how many goals he deflects into his own net, it’s about the mentally weak way he plays the game. So indecisive. So lost when it comes to making the simple bread and butter plays that should be second nature to him at this stage in his career. And no physical aggression left in his game at all. At least he could do that, surely. To top it off he wears an ‘A’ and takes home a paycheck far greater than the sum of his contribution. He’s made himself a lightning rod for criticism. This thread is nothing more than the manifestation of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad