TV: Preacher

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Is it very accessible for those who haven't read the comic?

I've enjoyed it so far, but you do have to have a little bit of faith that some of these scenes are going to tie into the the story line because there is absolutely no hand holding with regards to the plot. They drop you in the middle and you just have to be patient that it will all make sense down the line.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Is it very accessible for those who haven't read the comic?

Eh I mean I doubt many of us have but in the comics the guy isn't a preacher really at all. They say this is a prequel. I'm just winging it like its some random show. I mean if he wasn't really a preacher in the comics its not like you need to read the comics to see this.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Just got caught up and watched Talking Preacher. I was wondering about that one guys face. I was hoping that wasn't real lol.

This show to me is good cause its so wrong. I like the action and dark humor. This show to me is an extension of Impastor and what Impastor would be if it were a one hour dramaedy though I don't know who is more of a con artist. The preacher in this or the one in Impastos...both are good though and even for different reasons.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Eh I mean I doubt many of us have but in the comics the guy isn't a preacher really at all. They say this is a prequel. I'm just winging it like its some random show. I mean if he wasn't really a preacher in the comics its not like you need to read the comics to see this.

He is a Preacher in the comics

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I read the comics out of order during the 90s. Was living in Sweden and would maybe get hold of a copy of the books now and again. This reminds me of this experience - It's a good read even if you have no clue what is going on :)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He is a Preacher in the comics

That isn't what was portrayed on Talking Preacher. They were like in the comics he is hardly a preacher. The show is pretty different or so they are claiming. I admit I'm only taking their word for it because I'm not a comic book guy buy it sounds like most watching enjoy it even if they have no idea what's going on lol

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Yeah I've watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed it, obviously a few scenes that don't make sense yet bur Preacher, Cassidy and Tulip are all great. Especially Tulip!

I assume Jackie Earle Haley and his dudes (what was that house being demolished for? A factory farm?) will play a greater role as the season goes on.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Good to see Meyer Lansky again.

Oh my god lol. I loved that show I thought I was the only one who watched. Too bad they didn't just make that into a series.

One thing that bugs me about AMC I must admit is they tend to recycle most of the same characters and staff on shows.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Oh my god lol. I loved that show I thought I was the only one who watched. Too bad they didn't just make that into a series.

One thing that bugs me about AMC I must admit is they tend to mostly eeymcyle the same characters and staff on shows.

I'm talking about Meyer Lansky from Boardwalk Empire...

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Another really good episode, I just hope audiences can continue to be patient, because nothing is really happening plot wise. I don't mind it, but I've seen elsewhere people are getting ansy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Another really good episode, I just hope audiences can continue to be patient, because nothing is really happening plot wise. I don't mind it, but I've seen elsewhere people are getting ansy.

They should remember that Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, etc all started slow. Gotta lay the foundation and show who the characters are.

I didn't watch the episode last night but I recorded it. Looking forward to watching it, I heard good things.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
That isn't what was portrayed on Talking Preacher. They were like in the comics he is hardly a preacher. The show is pretty different or so they are claiming. I admit I'm only taking their word for it because I'm not a comic book guy buy it sounds like most watching enjoy it even if they have no idea what's going on lol

Yeah, when the comics open he's done with being a preacher... And he never really was committed to it like the version in the tv show.

I like this show alot but as a huge, huge fan of the comic... Its just sooo different. Its hard to accept a little, being so attached to the 'original' version.

If you've never read them, really go out and get the first trade paperback right now. Its unlike anything you've ever read/watched/heard about before.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Yeah, when the comics open he's done with being a preacher... And he never really was committed to it like the version in the tv show.

I like this show alot but as a huge, huge fan of the comic... Its just sooo different. Its hard to accept a little, being so attached to the 'original' version.

If you've never read them, really go out and get the first trade paperback right now. Its unlike anything you've ever read/watched/heard about before.

Yeah, the thing that really gives me a hard time is the relation between Jesse and Tulip.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, the thing that really gives me a hard time is the relation between Jesse and Tulip.

Oh, I completely agree. That's one of the two big things that aren't necessarily bad just different that I stuggle with.

The other is 'TV Jesse' being more conflicted and less of a bad ass than original Jesse. I kind of feel like comic Jesse would kick this guy's ass within five minutes of meeting him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's probably a slow burn to THAT Jesse. Maybe he turns into that in the first season finale.

He's already showing that "that" side is getting the better of him at times no matter how much he tries to supress it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's probably a slow burn to THAT Jesse. Maybe he turns into that in the first season finale.

He's already showing that "that" side is getting the better of him at times no matter how much he tries to supress it.

Yeah he is clearly supressing it right now and at some point he won't be able to anymore and it will line up a lot closer to how he is in the comics I am guessing. Just fleshing it out a bit.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Kinda weak episode this week.

I still liked it but I know how much crazy stuff is coming so it is frustrating watching this slow build-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad