Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 2 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Calgary Flames | 4-3 OT (Sasson, Debrusk(2), & Sprong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Nobody unexpected stood out massively to earn a roster spot. Lots of quiet nights from the Abby guys.

Sprong was the most dangerous offensive player and it showed. Should get a spot despite remaining an enigma on defence.

Lekkerimaki doesn't look bad but could use some time in Abby. Would hope he could be more assertive and create more chances through forecheck or puck play rather than playing passive.

Sherwood looks fast, strong, and assertive. Could be a plug and play guy for Tocchet. Way better than Lafferty.

Wolanin, Woo, and Juulsen probably don't make it. Ugly performance and worrying for our D depth. But Desharnais looked quite good. Hughes and Soucy skated around everybody.

Petey-DeBrusk isn't at 100% chemistry but got better as the night went. Somehow DeBrusk was in on most of the goals. Didn't look like these guys tried too hard (it's preseason!!!); the OT goal was in slow motion.

Flames might have something from Honzek. Parekh was pretty good too.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Young guys hoping to graduate from the AHL and take roster spots need to find another level. Lekkerimaki is clearly the most talented, just probably needs another year to get bigger and faster before he's NHL-ready. Sasson and Bains were okay but didn't stand out at all against an AHL+ Flames roster. Not much tonight from Raty. Di Giuseppe outplayed all of those guys. Nothing from Woo to indicate that he's more than a call-up defenceman.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
532de4117df50.png

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
was that the greatest preseason moment since bure dropped the puck to his skates?

also i want to see sherwood and hog terrorizing the opposition together as the energy line from hell

someone miller boeser
someone petey debrusk
josh bluegers garland
sherwood someone hoglander

Reactions: Jovofan and quat

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
was that the greatest preseason moment since bure dropped the puck to his skates?

also i want to see sherwood and hog terrorizing the opposition together as the energy line from hell

someone miller boeser
someone petey debrusk
josh bluegers garland
sherwood someone hoglander
Feel like you gotta go Heinen with Milsy/Boes, Sprong with Petey/Debrusk, and Suter in between Sherwood Hoglander

Forwards look deep as hell while healthy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boring game that got weirdly wide-open and exciting in the last 10 minutes and OT.

Sprong was dangerous as hell all night even before coast-to-coasting the tying goal. Impressive debut for him. Obviously a flawed player but adds a totally different dimension to the team. Explosive with the puck on the rush.

Hughes looked like you'd expect the defending Norris winner to look against the Calgary Wranglers. Pettersson ... looked like the guy who vanished in the 2nd half of last season. It's obviously only game 1 for him of preseason but I really wanted to see some fire and compete and positive body language to signify this was going to be a fresh start for him and didn't really get any of that, although he made a nice play on the OT winner.

Debrusk wasn't overly noticeable but nearly ended up with a hat trick. Nice debut.

Sherwood also a strong, noticeable 3-zone game in his debut.

Lekkerimaki really did nothing tonight in a game where he was set up for success on the top line against a weak opposition team. He's headed to Abbotsford and hopefully can have a big year there.

Raty wasn't as good as yesterday but I thought he still had a solid game. So did PDG, though.

Blais had one good shift but barely even noticed him after that. Looks like he'll be Abbotsford depth.

Sasson had a much stronger game with better linemates tonight. Overall I don't think he's shown as well as Raty but today earned him at least one more preseason game.

Woolanin pairing had a nightmare 3rd period. I'm as big of a Wolanin fan as there is but that did not go well. Likewise Juulsen didn't exactly impress.

Desharnais looked solid in his debut and that pairing with Soucy was very good.

Patera made some nice saves but the 1-1 goal was pretty stinky. Surprised he got a full game before Tolopilo.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Nobody unexpected stood out massively to earn a roster spot. Lots of quiet nights from the Abby guys.

Sprong was the most dangerous offensive player and it showed. Should get a spot despite remaining an enigma on defence.

Lekkerimaki doesn't look bad but could use some time in Abby. Would hope he could be more assertive and create more chances through forecheck or puck play rather than playing passive.

Sherwood looks fast, strong, and assertive. Could be a plug and play guy for Tocchet. Way better than Lafferty.

Wolanin, Woo, and Juulsen probably don't make it. Ugly performance and worrying for our D depth. But Desharnais looked quite good. Hughes and Soucy skated around everybody.

Petey-DeBrusk isn't at 100% chemistry but got better as the night went. Somehow DeBrusk was in on most of the goals. Didn't look like these guys tried too hard (it's preseason!!!); the OT goal was in slow motion.

Flames might have something from Honzek. Parekh was pretty good too.
Thought Lekk had problem winning board battles, need to keep an eye on that. He needs to be much better at that to stick around.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Sasson was very good in the first 2 periods, didn't notice him much in the 3rd. Raty looked solid in the 1st but didn't see anything from him in the final 2 -- did notice him out there in the closing minutes though with us pushing to tie it up.

Up and down game from Pantera. Great 1st but shaky on a couple of those goals.

Juulsen, yikes. Freidman seems locked as the 7th but would rather an upgrade. With the amount of solid forwards we've got I can't see us carrying 8 D this year if he's going to look that bad.

Lekk has incredible IQ but needs to play more assertive and selfish sometimes. Also could stand to be a bit more physical - those will come in time. Think he needs a bit more time to marinate until he's fully ready but damn you can see the flashes.

Sprong, okay, wow! Dangerous all night. Missed a glorious chance early but seemed to takeover towards the second half of the game and was in on a number of other opportunities before displaying some Bure-esque magic in the waning seconds. So-so defensively, didn't notice anything horrific, but with our need of goalscorers he can be a great secondary weapon for us.

Hughes is great. 'Nuff said.

PDG had a very solid game, high energy. Ditto Sherwood, looked great.

Jake DeBrusk is going to be a monster.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sweet Jesus, that Dafoe meme. :laugh: He’s so unhinged in that (otherwise awful) movie.

I only caught the last five minutes after getting home from coaching hockey. Saw Sprong’s highlight reel goal (Jesus!), Posposil biff it into the boards in OT (inset Nelson “haw haw”), and the beauty passing play for DeBrusk’s OT winner. Sick stuff. Looking forward to reading the feedback of people who watched the whole thing!

Reactions: Kickassguy and quat

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Boring game that got weirdly wide-open and exciting in the last 10 minutes and OT.

Sprong was dangerous as hell all night even before coast-to-coasting the tying goal. Impressive debut for him. Obviously a flawed player but adds a totally different dimension to the team. Explosive with the puck on the rush.

Hughes looked like you'd expect the defending Norris winner to look against the Calgary Wranglers. Pettersson ... looked like the guy who vanished in the 2nd half of last season. It's obviously only game 1 for him of preseason but I really wanted to see some fire and compete and positive body language to signify this was going to be a fresh start for him and didn't really get any of that, although he made a nice play on the OT winner.

Debrusk wasn't overly noticeable but nearly ended up with a hat trick. Nice debut.

Sherwood also a strong, noticeable 3-zone game in his debut.

Lekkerimaki really did nothing tonight in a game where he was set up for success on the top line against a weak opposition team. He's headed to Abbotsford and hopefully can have a big year there.

Raty wasn't as good as yesterday but I thought he still had a solid game. So did PDG, though.

Blais had one good shift but barely even noticed him after that. Looks like he'll be Abbotsford depth.

Sasson had a much stronger game with better linemates tonight. Overall I don't think he's shown as well as Raty but today earned him at least one more preseason game.

Woolanin pairing had a nightmare 3rd period. I'm as big of a Wolanin fan as there is but that did not go well. Likewise Juulsen didn't exactly impress.

Desharnais looked solid in his debut and that pairing with Soucy was very good.

Patera made some nice saves but the 1-1 goal was pretty stinky. Surprised he got a full game before Tolopilo.
Considering there are too many preseason games and the vets will only play 2 games each, don’t see anyone getting cut until the last game.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Haha, I love pre-season. Vets are taking it easy and all of a sudden they's like 5 minutes left and they're like "I guess we should win this now," and then they do.

Reactions: Jovofan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad