Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 2 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Calgary Flames | 4-3 OT (Sasson, Debrusk(2), & Sprong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Hoglander-Bluegar-Garland
Suter-Raty-Sherwood
Aman

Waive PDG

pretty sure they will send aman down from that list. if they have a 23 man roster i can see them carrying two forwards and juulsen. there is no #7/8 lhd making a case for being in the nhl right now.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
pretty sure they will send aman down from that list. if they have a 23 man roster i can see them carrying two forwards and juulsen. there is no #7/8 lhd making a case for being in the nhl right now.
I think they will send PDG because he will most likely go through waivers and Aman has center utility. But whatever doesn’t really matter that much.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Great game. The key veterans weren't involved but the core guys stepped up in this thread.

@LordBacon with many clutch posts

@Jovofan was ok

@Ginger Papa is still MIA.

@SopelFanThe3rd is cut. Enjoy the Abbotsford forum.
Oh crap! I didn't realize it was coming up so fast (obligatory "that's what she said acknowledgement). When is the Canucks board roster decision freeze and relegation to the AHL board happen for 'certain ' members? hint....really soon I hope...

Just want to say I will miss so many of you...

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
In all seriousness...the team is regrouping in the defensive zone with more alacrity and seems focused on pushing the pace into offense. Very impressed after 2 mixed squad games.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game clarified some stuff. Like whose got a leg up on making the team

Stepping up

Sherwood - faster than expected. Strong every shift. Hughes has got scouting potential.

Sprong - not only a temendous goal but so many chances. Has a very sneaky way of getting open. Needs to play with someone who can read him. Was ok defensively. Don't bury him on the 4th line as happened in the past. Always had undisputed talent and hopefully in the right place to really break out.

DiGuiseppe - has grown so much since he got to Vancouver. Really good at keeping puck in o-zone. Believe he clearly makes the team

Sasson - showed NHL (at least pre-season NHL ) speed and kept in play consistently. Question about him coming out of college was whether he was a good enough skater but that does not seem a problem. For the limited pro experience he has, he is showing well through the Young Stars games and into the pre-season.

Desharnais - some glitches in his game but used stick and size to cover space in his zone. Puck movement was adequate.

Fading (in some cases fast)

Julsson - brutal. Puck movement was poor. Got pulled way out of position too much.

Smith - never in the picture anyhow.

Wolanin - got exposed badly in this one. Lots of mistakes or poor play in the neutral zone leading to open chances.

Karlsson - can't skate well enough. Might as well cut him now. Too many other players better. Could have a good year in Abby

Raty -has done enough to date to be a consideration but if it comes down to him or Sassons, I believe Sassons has moved ahead. Thought he struggled in this game and contributed little. If only his skating wasn't so labored.

Woo - player has lousy luck in terms of getting injured. Wasn't all that bad but not showing sufficent upside to make the team. A player that is more reactive and not proactive enough to stay ahead of the play.

Blais - sort of there and ok deep in the offensive zone but don't think he is showing enough to stick in Vancouver. Did, however, create some chances around the net.

Petera - not terrible but does not look NHL caliber. May be the starter in Abby.

Lekkermaki - actually defensively ok but having trouble getting any traction offensively 5 on 5. Will likely need more time at the AHL level. Had to search for him most of the time in this game.

Of the other players already on the team

Soucy - looked like he could carry a pairing. At present looks improved over last year.

DeBrusk - got to the net very well.

Hughes - best player - in a class above anyone else.

Pettersson - still falls down too much. Nice touch in OT but too much like last season's second half.

Telecast was well done IMO. Annoucer was good.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Impressed with Sprong, he was generating a lot. DeBrusk comes as advertised ... skates well, is strong on the puck and solid play at both ends.

Based on that game, fine with a top-six to start of Heinen-Miller-Boeser and DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong.
When we signed sprong I half joked he would score 40. I think I might have undersold him. My God hes a skilled.
He also looked fine away from the puck and skated hard.
Gotta feel for Debrusk, he's outgoing and friendly and his linemates are about as introverted as it gets lol.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Hoglander-Bluegar-Garland
Suter-Raty-Sherwood
Aman

Waive PDG
I'm assuming until Joshua gets back ? Hogz and Suter- Is tempting as well, or even Raty between those two.
We are such a deep team having Lekkerimakki, Raty, Karlson Aman, as our 13-16 is nuts.

It's also crazy that our entire forward group has 15-20 goal 35-40 point potential.

Really liked Deharnais's game and somehow Quinn looks even more dynamic, I know that was a young flames team but it was so funny watching them back off every time Quinn entered the zone.
Thought EP back checked well and got better as the game went on.

Overall love the added speed and how quick they are moving the puck out

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I liked Lekks play tonight, and have to give it to him considering he just did a back-to-back. I'd give him the 9 games, personally
If everyone's healthy who sits? Because it would be one of Sprong, Hoglander, Heinen, Sherwood and I don't see it happening especially cuz it means we likely lose someone on waivers. I'd keep him until Joshua gets back and then let him develop along with Raty in Abby.

Keep in mind the pace and level of pre-season is nothing compared to the regular season.

Reactions: alicia

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I liked Lekks play tonight, and have to give it to him considering he just did a back-to-back. I'd give him the 9 games, personally
9 games doesn’t apply to Lelkk. That’s only for guys who can be returned to junior.

My guess is they continue to feed him pre-season games to see if he continues to improve. This is the type of player where you aren’t thinking about where he is on opening day but where he will be the back half of the season if he were to be in the NHL.

Reactions: timw33 and alicia

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Most promising sign is a lot of the AHL guys fighting for roster spots on the 3rd/4th lines up front look like they can step in for spot duty when injuries inevitably arrive, and that the guys who are lower down in the lineup (Suter, Sprong, Hoglander, etc.) can move up for short bursts if need be.

The depth up front is great. Before we needed 2-3 guys to step up like Raty has to even field an NHL roster - it's a very nice change of pace.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Most promising sign is a lot of the AHL guys fighting for roster spots on the 3rd/4th lines up front look like they can step in for spot duty when injuries inevitably arrive, and that the guys who are lower down in the lineup (Suter, Sprong, Hoglander, etc.) can move up for short bursts if need be.

The depth up front is great. Before we needed 2-3 guys to step up like Raty has to even field an NHL roster - it's a very nice change of pace.
I’ve heard this new management group say a lot that they want competition for spots. They’ve sure done a good job of that. Coach Tocchet must love having that competition within his group. Play hard and get minutes. There are guys in Abbotsford to take minutes lining up.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm assuming until Joshua gets back ? Hogz and Suter- Is tempting as well, or even Raty between those two.
We are such a deep team having Lekkerimakki, Raty, Karlson Aman, as our 13-16 is nuts.

It's also crazy that our entire forward group has 15-20 goal 35-40 point potential.

Really liked Deharnais's game and somehow Quinn looks even more dynamic, I know that was a young flames team but it was so funny watching them back off every time Quinn entered the zone.
Thought EP back checked well and got better as the game went on.

Overall love the added speed and how quick they are moving the puck out
yeah Raty is going go back down once Joshua comes back but there are always going to be injuries so there will be opportunities for guys to come up.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sprong danced 1 flame. It was just all 4 flames thought they were the back line in soccer so one was all it took to get in on goal. Still a very nice goal and smart to take advantage of horrendous positioning by the flames.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad