GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ehlers + McGroarty would be very tempting. And I don't think they'll 100% promise him a roster spot if a trade happens. As I said before, there's always a compromise.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ehlers + McGroarty would be very tempting. And I don't think they'll 100% promise him a roster spot if a trade happens. As I said before, there's always a compromise.
He wants out because he doesn’t want to go to the AHL. It’s why he’s said he’s going back to college. You trade for him and he goes back…he’s one year away from walking. And before someone tells me about the percentages of players that don’t sign with their teams…THIS PLAYER IS ALREADY DOING IT ONCE

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He wants out because he doesn’t want to go to the AHL. It’s why he’s said he’s going back to college. You trade for him and he goes back…he’s one year away from walking. And before someone tells me about the percentages of players that don’t sign with their teams…THIS PLAYER IS ALREADY DOING IT ONCE
I wasn't there for the Jets/McGroarty conversation, and neither were you. Are Boston and the Islanders 100% guaranteed to give him a roster spot? I'm not sure. Again, let him sign a contract, go through training camp, and play in preseason games. If he looks NHL ready, great. If not, then he can play in Rochester for a while under a coach he knows well. I think there are some loose ends in this story that haven't been told.

To me, he's the type of player we need and I liked him in the draft.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Where do you fit both of these guys? We already have a log jam.

McGroarty for one of our young guys (Kulich/Savoie/Rosen) might make sense from a skill set POV but i have no interest in Ehlers.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Where do you fit both of these guys? We already have a log jam.

McGroarty for one of our young guys (Kulich/Savoie/Rosen) might make sense from a skill set POV but i have no interest in Ehlers.
Ehlers - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
McGroarty - xxxx - Benson

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ehlers - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
McGroarty - xxxx - Benson
Yeah... Ehlers isn't the guy we need in that spot. What's he going to cost to extend? Whatever it is, it won't be worth it. Particularly when you factor in a Skinner buyout into that equation.

As posted above - a prospect swap for McGroarty might actually make sense for both teams.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah... Ehlers isn't the guy we need in that spot. What's he going to cost to extend? Whatever it is, it won't be worth it. Particularly when you factor in a Skinner buyout into that equation.

As posted above - a prospect swap for McGroarty might actually make sense for both teams.
Ehlers is fine, although I think he could help us get to the playoffs, but McGroarty would be very tempting. People are willing to trade Power to get Crouse. I think McGroarty has more potential than Crouse.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Serious question - what do you think the issue is? He probably did ask on this player and we know he's not afraid to meet what he perceives is equal or higher value.

CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting July 1, 2023 the player submits an 8 team no trade list.

I think that Adams has to focus on players with no trade protection, hence the Necas rumors.

And that shrinks the pool of potential trades that Adams can even try and get done.

Ehlers - CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a 10 team no trade list.
Laine - CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits an 10 team no trade list.
Buchnevich - CLAUSE DETAILS: Includes a 12 team no trade list

Maybe they checked in and RMcG didn't want to come to Buffalo...

Reactions: VaporTrail

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I think that Adams has to focus on players with no trade protection, hence the Necas rumors.

And that shrinks the pool of potential trades that Adams can even try and get done.

Ehlers - CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a 10 team no trade list.
Laine - CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits an 10 team no trade list.
Buchnevich - CLAUSE DETAILS: Includes a 12 team no trade list

Maybe they checked in and RMcG didn't want to come to Buffalo...
I suspect we're being linked as we have a plethora of comparable prospects to move the other way...

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Serious question - what do you think the issue is? He probably did ask on this player and we know he's not afraid to meet what he perceives is equal or higher value.
I think a lot of GM don’t respect him because of how he became GM. So they squeeze him. He cant get it done because a lot of GMs think they can bend him over. FWIW, he hasn’t gotten worked over like that, but that’s part of the deals he can’t make.

Side note, but as much as I like Jerry Forton, I don’t generally feel like it’s a good idea for somebody to be involved in both amateur scouting and pro scouting. Guys that do can sometimes get stuck on their pre-draft evaluations. See Murray, Tim.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure how much tread is left on tires of either of those guys, if any.

But the thing that got my attention was Skinner. I'm not a fan of a buyout, if they're going to get rid of him then my preference would be via trade and some retention if necessary.
I'm wary of bringing in all these veterans because of their age. Smith didn't seem to do well after Vegas. Eller would probably be a decent 4C, but not a 3C.

I agree, it would be better to trade Skinner, but the power is in his hands, I don't know why he would give up NMC for Seattle.

For some reason Adams pursuing that level of acquisition would not really surprise me. If that is the pond he is fishing in right now, he's not going to win the prize.
For now, he's fishing in his backyard pond, forgetting that there aren't even any fish in that pond.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not sure how much tread is left on tires of either of those guys, if any.

But the thing that got my attention was Skinner. I'm not a fan of a buyout, if they're going to get rid of him then my preference would be via trade and some retention if necessary.

I'd imagine that would be Adam's preference as well. He said yesterday that Skinner's camp isnt willing to waive their no-movement clause

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Is there a deeper and more talented roster in the league? Doubtful
Where exactly are we deep? There are plenty of rosters and organizations that are deeper. There are as talented teams, and far more of those talented teams are much more prepared to succeed in the NHL. We have an abundance of potential and that’s all this roster is.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

That he sat on his hands for multiple years when he needed to make moves. Now he’s trapped himself to a one week window where most players on the market won’t come here and GMs who know he’s beyond desperate and ask for the moon on guys who can’t prevent movement.

He botched this season two off-seasons ago.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think a lot of GM don’t respect him because of how he became GM. So they squeeze him. He cant get it done because a lot of GMs think they can bend him over. FWIW, he hasn’t gotten worked over like that, but that’s part of the deals he can’t make.

Logically flawed....

Many former players became gm. What did briere and Drury and other former players to be gm?

That he sat on his hands for multiple years when he needed to make moves. Now he’s trapped himself to a one week window where most players on the market won’t come here and GMs who know he’s beyond desperate and ask for the moon on guys who can’t prevent movement.

He botched this season two off-seasons ago.
Explain further....let me get my popcorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad