GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
They need Cozens, Tuch, and Thompson to show up for more than 1/4 of the season. The top-6 was a joke last season because the players didn't take the offseason seriously enough + Granato was in over his head and couldn't motivate them. Pretty sad they even needed extra motivation after missing the playoffs by 1 point the previous season.

Again, move Greenway up with Cozens and Quinn, and if Cozens progresses like we NEED him to, then we have a shutdown line that can score goals. Ruff needs to have these guys knowing their roles, too. Greenway needs to be that big body PITA to play against, and he showed it at times last year even if he wasn't overly physical.

We really don't need to stack the wings in the top-6 with our most talented players. Balance the lines. And I dont think ANYONE would complain if Thompson's line lacks a bit defensively if theyre even remotely close to how productive they were two seasons ago.

I suppose my point is, there are a million variables as to why this team was ass last year. Adding a gritty top 6 forward (if there's one even available via trade), which I would LOVE to get, isn't going to move the needle a ton on whether or not this team makes the playoffs if our top two centers are inconsistent as hell.
There's all kinds of issues that need improvement, having tougher top-six worthy guys is just one of them. I feel like I'm one of the louder posters here saying our top-six isn't good enough.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm betting one of the deals that looks close to being done and then fell apart is he had a deal done to move Skinner with 50% retention with a team that Skinner may have said worked for him and then it was Skinner's camp that turned around and refused to waive.

Skinner is dumb to not waive if he gets to keep 100% of his contract instead of just some of it unless he thinks he can make up the difference as a free agent + the buyout.

The good news is that between the Hall and Skinner contracts (and Botts stuck him with the Skinner one) is that I'm sure he's going to do everything he can in negotiations in the future to NOT include full NMC's.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm betting one of the deals that looks close to being done and then fell apart is he had a deal done to move Skinner with 50% retention with a team that Skinner may have said worked for him and then it was Skinner's camp that turned around and refused to waive.

Skinner is dumb to not waive if he gets to keep 100% of his contract instead of just some of it unless he thinks he can make up the difference as a free agent + the buyout.

The good news is that between the Hall and Skinner contracts (and Botts stuck him with the Skinner one) is that I'm sure he's going to do everything he can in negotiations in the future to NOT include full NMC's.
Look around the rest of the league. It's not just us - in fact other teams are about to get f***ed harder than we are.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There's all kinds of issues that need improvement, having tougher top-six worthy guys is just one of them. I feel like I'm one of the louder posters here saying our top-six isn't good enough.
I believe rolling three lines that can create mismatches + a 4th line that's a true PITA to play against will net some really nice results this season (playoffs!), but if Tuch, Tage, Skinner's replacement, and Cozens play like they did for 3/4ths of the season, then it's all moot.

Reactions: HOOats and HaNotsri

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I believe rolling three lines that can create mismatches + a 4th line that's a true PITA to play against will net some really nice results this season (playoffs!), but if Tuch, Tage, Skinner's replacement, and Cozens play like they did for 3/4ths of the season, then it's all moot.
We need PITAs in the top 9 as well as the 'bottom three'. I think we potentially have one or two of those guys on the roster in the right situation, but adding a guy who brings that as our statement move this summer would be so huge.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Literally 1/2 of the GMs when a goal scorer is a UFA, no matter what the problem

giphy.gif

Whom has the final say on these deals?

My hope is the owner has learned his lesson on these.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
It's the same with the Bills. Can't ever hear the questions properly.
I've mentioned it countless times on the Sabres FB page and they have done nothing about it...It's like they don't care.

My personal opinion is that the league should get rid of them altogether...But the players are a bunch of spoiled brats so that won't ever happen.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Wow. Stating the word play/analogy is bad in the first place, and then he gets it wrong? Heck of a writer. Here, I’ll make my own Harrington headline: “In literary terms, local writer isn’t right, he’s left.”

f***in nailed it, no notes, lemme go make a kid feel bad.

Oh, and oops, came here to say- love the trade. 1st for four slots and an early 2nd, hell ya bruther

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Wow. Stating the word play/analogy is bad in the first place, and then he gets it wrong? Heck of a writer. Here, I’ll make my own Harrington headline: “In literary terms, local writer isn’t right, he’s left.”

Oh, and oops, came here to say- love the trade. 1st for four slots and an early 2nd, hell ya bruther
Harrington is an idiot. I think a a lot of writers / reporters get shat on here for no good reason - eg i personally don't mind Paul Hamilton, agree with things he says, i like his spots on the radio, while most here seem to hate him. But even i think Harrington is a clown. No idea how he's held a career down for so long.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Harrington is an idiot. I think a a lot of writers / reporters get shat on here for no good reason - eg i personally don't mind Paul Hamilton, agree with things he says, i like his spots on the radio, while most here seem to hate him. But even i think Harrington is a clown. No idea how he's held a career down for so long.
He's like the old guy that tries to hold onto his youth for far too long.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I thought that would be the plan before the Byram trade. Now there's a lot of speculation about acquiring a proto-typical checking C to fill the hole where Mitts was. That's a top-6/bottom-6 set-up, and it might have to be that way because I just don't think it's possible for KA to acquire another C that can roll in a top-9 set-up. So not only do a few current Sabres need to play better, they need a very difficult type of player to add in order to play that way...actually two players like that. KA can't even get a deal done for a lesser player like Necas. Good luck with any higher aspirations for the FW group.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I hope Carolina inadvertently torpedoed a Necas deal. His possession stats and likely salary demands scare me off him.

To acquire him they must:
1. B/O Skinner
2. Trade for him
3. Sign a huge contract

Just a lot of ways for that to blow up.
It would be buying out Skinner and then turning around and giving the money to Skinner-lite.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

If you look into the mirror and say it three times your dog becomes Mike Harrington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad