GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sounds like they seriously were in talks about Necas and kevyn is fairly unhappy it was leaked. Idk why, other than if he feels they're being used for leverage

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
The amount of mental meltdowns I’m seeing on x, Sabrespace MB etc is hilarious - why do people think that we “ weakened” our trade ammo - it’s that exact opposite. 11 and 14 as a trade piece in this draft are basically the same - no team is scoffing at a trade bc it’s 14 and not 11 - if anything it gives us a significant increase in ammo for a trade or 2 + trades. Folks just coming across as uninformed otherwise…

People always complaint about Sabres bring stupid but they have a great analytics team and this is more of a bad move by SJ they gave up 42 for an equivalent level draft slot to

Reactions: Dingo44

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I think a good GM who truly understands his team's needs does not hesitate to overpay (within reason) for assets he deems necessary for his team' success. I don't think Adams has that level of understanding, so he plays it extremely safe. Perhaps too safe.
That may indeed be the case. I agree that overpaying is sometimes necessary (and fine, when flush). Just hoping people don't flip out when said overpay happens. Adams is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in the eyes of too many people imo.

Maybe he relies too much on his analytics dept and that kills deals. Maybe the pro scouting dept isn't recommending enough targets. Maybe guys are flexing NMCs on him.

Or maybe he's been obsessively hoarding value during this building phase and always had an eye on summer 2024 to spend it, without letting the high then low of the past two seasons alter his course. That appears like a green GM playing it safe, but maybe it's a disciplined GM in a tough market sticking to his plan?

We'll see!

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Specifically mentioned, again, getting grittier in defensive depth and on the 3rd 4th lines......and specifically mentioned getting a guy that can move up and down the roster that also adds some grit.
Wanting physicality in the depth of the defense suggests doesn't seem to leave room R Johnson and Joker long term.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think a good GM who truly understands his team's needs does not hesitate to overpay (within reason) for assets he deems necessary for his team' success. I don't think Adams has that level of understanding, so he plays it extremely safe. Perhaps too safe.
I dunno. Listening to the presser just now, I think Adams knows that he's overflowing with prospects/assets and is ready to use them. He actually specifically said that his preference is to get someone just entering their prime who can grow with the team.......but that those guys are hard to come by or not even available with an overpay.

I think he's ready to pony up for something.

Reactions: Dubi Doo and HOOats

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Adams and Co. get excellent value in a trade, again. Sabres Twitter melts down, again. Life is beautiful.

I figured the Sharks must be flush with picks to give away a 2nd so cheaply, but they're really not. Only an extra 1st and 2nd now. I think Grier might be looking to double his BU connection at 11...

Either we have a tier of draftees that extends to 14 so we don't need to see who is available, or we're trading picks for players. I can't imagine a scenario where 14 wouldn't land about the same player trade as 11, so it could end up as a sneaky bit of arbitrage by Adams. Still swap the 1st for a player but come away drafting two 2nds.

Or we're trading one or both 2nds. Funny trivia that we have two pairs of consecutive picks now, 42 & 43 and 108 & 109.
Wondering how old you are? I'm 56 and sick of the same shit every year..

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I know Buffalo prefers to stay tight-lipped but I think it’s more regular than not around the league that info leaks

Maybe he insists on it being a condition of dealing but this feels a little staged

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I know Buffalo prefers to stay tight-lipped but I think it’s more regular than not around the league that info leaks

Maybe he insists on it being a condition of dealing but this feels a little staged
My read on it is that.....and keep in mind that this is just a read/my opinion:

I think that Adams and Carolina were closing in on a deal and then stuff leaked out and Carolina got better offers. And, I mean.....props to Carolina if that's true for using the media effectively. Maybe Adams will learn from it and start using media effectively on his end.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
My read on it is that.....and keep in mind that this is just a read/my opinion:

I think that Adams and Carolina were closing in on a deal and then stuff leaked out and Carolina got better offers. And, I mean.....props to Carolina if that's true for using the media effectively. Maybe Adams will learn from it and start using media effectively on his end.
Yeah, that read definitely makes sense. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have shopped around anyway but doing it publicly would be annoying as the patsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad