GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't care if he was deep into trades that didn't happen any more. Do or do not, there is no try Kev.

I feel like I’ve seen it mentioned in the past that part of what’s been hard for Buffalo is teams trying to leverage our prospect pool against us. For example Chychrun got moved for a conditional 1st, conditional 2nd, and a (regular, unconditional) 2nd, but it was rumored ARZ was asking for Savoie+a 1st from the Sabres. If that’s what’s making these deals fall apart, I’m glad Adams isn’t letting himself get fleeced for the sake of saying he did something. But there definitely needs to be more coming after this trade down. We need a better NHL team, not more prospects.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
That can only mean you want him to overpay if forced, yes? The only other option is putting a gun to the head of his opposite GM and he doesn't strike me as the type.. I feel like I’ve seen it mentioned in the past that part of what’s been hard for Buffalo is teams trying to leverage our prospect pool against us. For example Chychrun got moved for a conditional 1st, conditional 2nd, and a (regular, unconditional) 2nd, but it was rumored ARZ was asking for Savoie+a 1st from the Sabres. If that’s what’s making these deals fall apart, I’m glad Adams isn’t letting himself get fleeced for the sake of saying he did something. But there definitely needs to be more coming after this trade down. We need a better NHL team, not more prospects.
Hard to swing good trades when every GM you approach sees 'DESPERATE' plastered across your forehead.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I was excited when i saw 2nd round. But then it was not SJs pick, it was the NJ pick. I then became less enthused.

The Sabres traded down just to jump in front of their own 2nd round pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Capture.PNG

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Hard to swing good trades when every GM you approach sees 'DESPERATE' plastered across your forehead.
Agreed, but nothing he has done has made him appear particularly desperate.

But having echoes of fans (or owners) in your head saying "13 years" "there is no try Kev" and "welcome to the big leagues, either put up or shut up" sure would.

I just don't get it, how do you force something to happen that requires the sign off of a hostile, independent second party? Should he overpay? Should he be at the office 22 hours each day? Maybe people just want him to get smarter??

"Just win" wasn't realistic when Al Davis said it and it still isn't.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I gotta hear the context for the "UFAs may not want to live in Buffalo." Is he talking about in-season or off-season? I hope to anything holy that he's not expecting UFAs to live in Buffalo in the off-season.

To be fair, Buffalo is an amazing place to live in the hockey offseason.

It's during hockey season that it grinds your soul down to a nub.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Adams and Co. get excellent value in a trade, again. Sabres Twitter melts down, again. Life is beautiful.

I figured the Sharks must be flush with picks to give away a 2nd so cheaply, but they're really not. Only an extra 1st and 2nd now. I think Grier might be looking to double his BU connection at 11...

Price value is fair

Buffalo did 21+42 for 11 in 3012 and draft girgs.

14 to 12 for a 2nd around there is fine.

San Jose still has their high 3nd snd a 3nd from TB thru NSH

They can use those 2 to move up to 7-9
Either we have a tier of draftees that extends to 14 so we don't need to see who is available, or we're trading picks for players. I can't imagine a scenario where 14 wouldn't land about the same player trade as 11

I see one....

Sure can be used for a player trade or a trade with players like

To buffalo X+Y+ 1st 18-23
To Other A+B+14

In a necas trade it could involve players and day buffalo moves this pick and th eff it pick and gets CAzr 1st at 27 ad part of the deal or 15 and 38 are flipped in deal

But I see s few RD in the draft they may have interest in but 11 is too high. One name I've seen us Jiricrk who drafts seem to have him go 14-17.

, so it could end up as a sneaky bit of arbitrage by Adams. Still swap the 1st for a player but come away drafting two 2nds.

If buffalo was to do a hockey trade like
joker+krebs+2nd for a player they could draft 3 pieces this year.
Adams and Co. get excellent value in a trade, again. Sabres Twitter melts down, again. Life is beautiful.

I figured the Sharks must be flush with picks to give away a 2nd so cheaply, but they're really not. Only an extra 1st and 2nd now. I think Grier might be looking to double his BU connection at 11...

Either we have a tier of draftees that extends to 14 so we don't need to see who is available, or we're trading picks for players. I can't imagine a scenario where 14 wouldn't land about the same player trade as 11, so it could end up as a sneaky

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If accruing more draft picks emboldens him to actually add an NHL player of value with some of them without giving another one up, I’m all for it

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Agreed, but nothing he has done has made him appear particularly desperate.

But having echoes of fans (or owners) in your head saying "13 years" "there is no try Kev" and "welcome to the big leagues, either put up or shut up" sure would.

I just don't get it, how do you force something to happen that requires the sign off of a hostile, independent second party? Should he overpay? Should he be at the office 22 hours each day? Maybe people just want him to get smarter??

"Just win" wasn't realistic when Al Davis said it and it still isn't.
I think a good GM who truly understands his team's needs does not hesitate to overpay (within reason) for assets he deems necessary for his team' success. I don't think Adams has that level of understanding, so he plays it extremely safe. Perhaps too safe.

Reactions: HOOats and Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad