Line Combos: Practice Lines Thanksgiving Day 2024

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Tavares did not practice on Saturday and missed their 4-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins that night. The veteran scored a goal and added an assist in the second game of the young season.

Additionally, goaltender Joseph Woll was also absent from practice on Monday. Head coach Craig Berube described the issue as "lower body tightness."

Woll was slated to start in net for the season opener, but was scratched late due to the lower-body issue. He hasn't practiced since last Tuesday.

Defenceman Timothy Liljegren was paired with Simon Benoit at practice, and The Athletic's Jonas Siegel reports that Liljegren may make his season debut on Wednesday. Liljegren played in 55 games a season ago for Toronto, where he scored three goals and finished with 23 points.

The Maple Leafs play their next game on Wednesday, against the Los Angeles Kings.

The Maple Leafs used these lines during Monday's practice:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Pacioretty - Holmberg - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves
Dewar

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren
Timmins - Myers
Hakanpää

StolarzHildeby

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tavares did not practice on Saturday and missed their 4-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins that night. The veteran scored a goal and added an assist in the second game of the young season.

Additionally, goaltender Joseph Woll was also absent from practice on Monday. Head coach Craig Berube described the issue as "lower body tightness."

Woll was slated to start in net for the season opener, but was scratched late due to the lower-body issue. He hasn't practiced since last Tuesday.

Defenceman Timothy Liljegren was paired with Simon Benoit at practice, and The Athletic's Jonas Siegel reports that Liljegren may make his season debut on Wednesday. Liljegren played in 55 games a season ago for Toronto, where he scored three goals and finished with 23 points.

The Maple Leafs play their next game on Wednesday, against the Los Angeles Kings.

The Maple Leafs used these lines during Monday's practice:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Pacioretty - Holmberg - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves
Dewar

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren
Timmins - Myers
Hakanpää

StolarzHildeby

Good changes with PP and 3rd pair. Might be Lilly's last chance to make a good impression on Berube. Personally Benoit has also been bad so I would have switched the whole 3rd pair but it's a good change.

Reactions: arso40

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Nice to see Liljegren get in. Hopefully some games in the box gives him a little kick in the butt to up his game.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I prefer the lineup with Tavares.

Honestly don't care who our 6th D-man is. Team has looked good so far with the 6 that have been playing. No issue with Timmy getting in a game. Would expect Hakenpaa to play at some point as well. As long a the 6th guy is not making a mess of things we should be fine.

Reactions: ACC1224

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What is your assessment of Timothy Liljegren recently?

Berube: I think he has been practicing well. I talked to him a little bit ago. I think his practices have been better — more intensity, and doing things quicker. There is a chance he could play on Wednesday.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It was becoming clear that Liljegren was not in the coach's favour when he wasn't featured regularly with the main group during pre-season. When asked why things didn't go his way during camp, the young defenceman couldn't offer a reason.

"I tried my best, but it didn’t go my way," Liljegren said. "I’ve just been trying to come in and work hard."

When it comes to his uncertain future in Toronto, Liljegren has been trying to keep the noise out and control what he can control.

"Trying not to think about it, not really on social media that much, so I don't see a lot of stuff. So if something happens, it happens," Liljegren told reporters. "I'm just coming in and working hard. I love Toronto, I came over when I was 18 and I've been here ever since so I love the city, I love the team and I'm happy to be here."

The Leafs haven't ruled out the possibility of having Liljegren in the lineup, with Berube saying he has liked what he's seen from the young defenceman in practice and could include him in the lineup on Wednesday against the Kings.

At Monday's practice, Liljegren was skating on the team's third pairing with Simon Benoit, while Connor Timmins was with Phillipe Myers as a presumed scratch.

Toronto focused heavily on defencemen in free agency over the summer, adding Chris Tanev, Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Jani Hakanpää to its ranks, pushing Liljegren down the team's depth chart. He has also been jumped by Timmins on the team's blue-line pairings.

The Leafs negotiated a new deal for Liljegren, signing him to a two-year, $6-million contract in the off-season and making him the fourth-highest-paid defenceman on the team by AAV, perhaps adding a wrench to the hopes of dealing him.

"Now, I had heard this week that he had some permission to talk to other teams but the Maple Leafs have denied that, they've said that's not true," Friedman said. "But there's no question they're trying to get him to be patient and he's simply trying to say, 'Look, I'd like to play' as any player would."

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

It was becoming clear that Liljegren was not in the coach's favour when he wasn't featured regularly with the main group during pre-season. When asked why things didn't go his way during camp, the young defenceman couldn't offer a reason.

"I tried my best, but it didn’t go my way," Liljegren said. "I’ve just been trying to come in and work hard."

When it comes to his uncertain future in Toronto, Liljegren has been trying to keep the noise out and control what he can control.

"Trying not to think about it, not really on social media that much, so I don't see a lot of stuff. So if something happens, it happens," Liljegren told reporters. "I'm just coming in and working hard. I love Toronto, I came over when I was 18 and I've been here ever since so I love the city, I love the team and I'm happy to be here."

The Leafs haven't ruled out the possibility of having Liljegren in the lineup, with Berube saying he has liked what he's seen from the young defenceman in practice and could include him in the lineup on Wednesday against the Kings.

At Monday's practice, Liljegren was skating on the team's third pairing with Simon Benoit, while Connor Timmins was with Phillipe Myers as a presumed scratch.

Toronto focused heavily on defencemen in free agency over the summer, adding Chris Tanev, Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Jani Hakanpää to its ranks, pushing Liljegren down the team's depth chart. He has also been jumped by Timmins on the team's blue-line pairings.

The Leafs negotiated a new deal for Liljegren, signing him to a two-year, $6-million contract in the off-season and making him the fourth-highest-paid defenceman on the team by AAV, perhaps adding a wrench to the hopes of dealing him.

"Now, I had heard this week that he had some permission to talk to other teams but the Maple Leafs have denied that, they've said that's not true," Friedman said. "But there's no question they're trying to get him to be patient and he's simply trying to say, 'Look, I'd like to play' as any player would."
Seems like he's still in their plans, and haven't given up on him. They won't trade him just to trade him and get a bad return. Smart move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad