Line Combos: Powerplay lines for 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
With Laine (and possibly Hutson) into the fold, I think it's worth discussing what the powerplay lines will look like coming into next season.

I think the Habs have enough assets where they can spread out the best players between two powerplays instead of shoving all of their best guys into the PP1 like they did last season.

PP 1: Caufield (left flank) Suzuki (right flank) Slafkovsky (net) Matheson (point) Dvorak (bumper)
PP 2: Laine (left flank) Dach (right flank) Newhook (bumper) Roy (net) Hutson (point)

Laine needs a right shot passer for his one-timers on the left flank, so does Caufield I think so they go on separate lines.

Not sure what the exact formation the Habs use, I'll add it here if someone is aware of it (and all the position names).

Edit: Noticed there is another thread for the PP, mods can close this if you like

Last edited:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Indeed. As much as Laine and Caufield would be nice as two deadly shooters, they play the same spot on the PP, so either one of them will adjust, or they will play on separate waves.

It might be good for the team to finally have a 2nd wave that can play more than 20 seconds per PP.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Suzuki/Slaf near the net and on the right half-wall
Laine on the left half wall
Caufield on the bumper
Hutson on the point

Dvorak in front of the net
Dach on the right half-wall
Roy on the left half wall
Newhook on the bumper
Matheson on the point

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Watering down PP1 will not help this team and should be avoided at all costs.
Adding talent gives us options at having better puck control zone time and increased shift lengths.
We had a great looking PP on a number of occasions towards the end of last season while flirting with the full two minutes.
With Slaf Laine and Dach all on PP1 it give us a better chance at winger wins and holding the zone.
One thing I noticed last season was just how many times we won scrambled draws with Slaf along the boards.
vs how many times we lost those draws when Caufield was along the boards.
I'm using all my big guns from the get go like most good PP teams do.

Reactions: Guess

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Watering down PP1 will not help this team and should be avoided at all costs.
Adding talent gives us options at having better puck control zone time and increased shift lengths.
We had a great looking PP on a number of occasions towards the end of last season while flirting with the full two minutes.
With Slaf Laine and Dach all on PP1 it give us a better chance at winger wins and holding the zone.
One thing I noticed last season was just how many times we won scrambled draws with Slaf along the boards.
vs how many times we lost those draws when Caufield was along the boards.
I'm using all my big guns from the get go like most good PP teams do.
Would you still put Caufield on the same PP as Laine? Since they both like the same spot I think (left flank).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you still put Caufield on the same PP as Laine? Since they both like the same spot I think (left flank).

I'm sure they will try a few things but in the end, it's probably best to have them on separate PP units. When Demidov is added next year and we have more growth from the D, we have lots of assets to run two good PP units.

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Matheson / Hutson

Laine / Dach / Newhook
Guhle / Hutson

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Find a spot for Mailloux (if he makes team) on one of the two waves. He has a heavy slapper, something that is missing on both options.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Weal-Danault-Cousins
Mete-Petry

war-vietnam.gif

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I'm interested in seeing if Hutson supplants Matheson on PP1. I'm not sure it happens this year. That aside, how good is Hutson's point shot?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm interested in seeing if Hutson supplants Matheson on PP1. I'm not sure it happens this year. That aside, how good is Hutson's point shot?

It's not a weapon to score from distance without screens but his accuracy is incredible and he shoots a lot for redirects which is a better way to beat a NHL goalie, regardless.

We will have no shortage of trigger men.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Zero slapshot.

His skill in terms of shooting from the point is getting the shot through, moving from side to side to find the shooting lane. Basically what you saw with Slaf's 20th goal of the season vs Detroit, that's Hutson. He moved two guys around by being patient and holding onto the puck.

In the NHL, he will get a ton of points from deflections and rebounds, because he is very very smart about finding the shooting lane and ensuring the goalie is screened.

Edit: Also, he is very skilled at shooting at odd times, example, his assist on the gallagher goal. At that point nobody would have expected him to open his body and take a wrist shot, including the goalie, everyone expected him to take it around the net so that generated a juicy rebound for gallagher.

Reactions: junyab

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well I mentioned there could be some controversy if we signed Laine. I'm sure he's expecting PP1 as is Caufield.
I honestly think Laine is the better option particularly if we are using Lane Hutson at the point.
Another constant with our PP last year was the failed entries on Caufield's side vs the ones on Slafs.
I'm glad I'm not the one deciding who gets the nod. One thing is for sure we won't be forced to play under performers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Laine and Hutson at the point on the PP? I can see a few goals against in this case.
No more than we saw with Matheson.
Hutson's decision making with the puck is a huge strength he also doesn't telegraph plays which is when PP's get burned.
I haven't see Laine on the point so I can't comment on his tendencies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if on PP1 we setup Laine in his office, Slaf on the right half wall, suzuki at the goal line, matheson or Huston on the point and Caufield as a rover of sorts. He's very good at getting open and having him float around could be difficult to control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad