Speculation: Potential waiver gems

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is that Brett Murray waived from Buffalo? Is there a NHLer there or is his skating too poor?

It's better than it was but it's still not really good enough. He's probably going to be first in line as team captain in Rochester and might see a game or two later in the season. Good character guy, just not enough movement or aggression to make the jump.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Kevin Labanc has been lights out in his PTO with the Devils. 6 goals in the last 3 games playing with the AHL kids in the NHL preseason games. Someone will sign him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Kevin Labanc has been lights out in his PTO with the Devils. 6 goals in the last 3 games playing with the AHL kids in the NHL preseason games. Someone will sign him.
Do we have to release him before he can sign elsewhere? Can he walk at any time, or do we "own his rights" for lack of a better term? I know it's not technically owning but for this conversation

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Ethan Bear to be waived today as per puck pedia.

Exact kind of d man the Canucks need. Was a great fit when he was there.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Contract is valid only for preseason so Labanc is free to sign with anyone.

The most notable situation I recall was Anton Stralman doing a PTO with the Devils in 2011 ending up signing a deal with the Rangers (though it was about a month into the season).

If another team doesn't snap him up right away I can see him basically skating/hanging out in NJ until either a spot opens with us or someone else grabs him. But I would be surprised if he isn't somewhere by the end of next week.

Interested to know if a guy has ever earned a deal on a PTO while the rest of the team was out in Europe like this to start the season or if Labanc would be the first.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
Contract is valid only for preseason so Labanc is free to sign with anyone.

The most notable situation I recall was Anton Stralman doing a PTO with the Devils in 2011 ending up signing a deal with the Rangers (though it was about a month into the season).

If another team doesn't snap him up right away I can see him basically skating/hanging out in NJ until either a spot opens with us or someone else grabs him. But I would be surprised if he isn't somewhere by the end of next week.

Interested to know if a guy has ever earned a deal on a PTO while the rest of the team was out in Europe like this to start the season or if Labanc would be the first.
In 2016 the Oilers signed Versteeg to a PTO but then the Flames gave him an NHL contract

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
If Labanc DOESN'T sign anywhere in the next couple days it is plausible that the Devils have a handshake deal in place for when they get back.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
RHP is out for a couple more months so he won't be waived.

I don't see Pezzetta getting waived. He has a role until Tuch or Xhekaj are ready.
Yes we need to have some grit and it helps take some pressure of Wifi on always having to be the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad