Line Combos: Post-preseason lines, who makes the cut?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Day 1 lineup:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Kapanen - Dach - Newhook
Armia - Evans - Anderson
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Gallagher
Heineman, Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

Montembeault
Primeau

Everyone else to Laval.

Play Heineman against Boston on the opening back-to-back then Pezzetta in against Ottawa. Roy gets the start vs Pittsburgh. Rotate until someone wins the job, or someone else gets hurt.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Kapanen Suzuki Slafkovsky // just the first game in reward for a great camp
Caufield Dach Armia
Roy Newhook Gallagher // could be BB instead of Roy
Pezzeta Dvorak Anderson

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron

PP1
Caufield Suzuki Dach
Matheson Hutson

PP2
Roy Newhook Slafkovsky
Xhekaj Barron

PK1
Anderson Dvorak
Guhle Savard

PK2
Armia Suzuki
Matheson Xhekaj

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Day 1 lineup:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Kapanen - Dach - Newhook
Armia - Evans - Anderson
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Gallagher
Heineman, Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

Montembeault
Primeau

Everyone else to Laval.

Play Heineman against Boston on the opening back-to-back then Pezzetta in against Ottawa. Roy gets the start vs Pittsburgh. Rotate until someone wins the job, or someone else gets hurt.
Heineman and Roy to Laval.

Kapanen back to Sweden.

ABB to start, which sucks because he's another smaller player, but none of the others have played better than him and he honestly hasn't played that good.

Or at the very least ABB as the 13th and Heineman and Roy to Laval.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
And how do we split it? Make it a big and painful to play against second line?
Newhook - suzuki - CC
Slaf - Dach - Armia
Heineman - Dvo - Kapanen
Gally - Evans - Anderson

Any other option we see? Go full youth audition mode,
Kapanen - suzuki - CC
Slaf- Dach - Roy
Heineman - Dvo - Armia
Gally - Evans - Anderson

Any other option?

Oddly enough, I would keep Suzuki and Slaf on the same "duo". A CC/Suzuki duo may be too easy to play against due to size.

Reactions: Habit11

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Oddly enough, I would keep Suzuki and Slaf on the same "duo". A CC/Suzuki duo may be too easy to play against due to size.
Nick and Cole had career years last year, and were not easy to play against............imagine the points they could put up if we could fix the PP??
Slaf is a very nice add to that line also.............but size has never really been an issue for the first two guys.....

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Nick and Cole had career years last year, and were not easy to play against............imagine the points they could put up if we could fix the PP??
Slaf is a very nice add to that line also.............but size has never really been an issue for the first two guys.....
CC/Suzuki/Slaf played ~751 minutes together last year over 64 games after being put together mid-December. In the 18 games they were not together, Slaf/Dvorak/CC had more goals than any combos CC/Suzuki without Slaf MSL put together (becuse they didn't stick together as long irc).

Both CC and Suzuki were not going for career production until Slaf was added mid-December.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Heineman and Roy to Laval.

Kapanen back to Sweden.

ABB to start, which sucks because he's another smaller player, but none of the others have played better than him and he honestly hasn't played that good.

Or at the very least ABB as the 13th and Heineman and Roy to Laval.

I'd keep Kapanen as a top 6 forward. I don't want Anderson or Gallagher on 2nd line.

If they want to keep ABB and send Roy to Laval, I'm fine with that, too. ABB can sit as 14th forward.

I'd like to see Heineman in regular season. Play Pezz G1 vs Toronto then Heineman G2 against Boston. It's a back-to-back. I'd give Heineman a longer look. Pezz G3 against Ottawa. ABB G4 against Pens.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
as we've been posting in various threads, that second line is still a problem. Even with a healthy Laine, the skill and size depth was a problem.

I've thought of moving Slafkovsky with Dach but that's another problem, and Suzuki and CC will not have puck winner on that line. If the 1st needed to be broken, I'd move caufield down, so at least Dach can create space and feed him passes.

I'm so fed up with Dvorak, Armia, Gally and Anderson I wouldn't give the last 3 a chance (out of spite lol) on that 2nd line. I'd be fired.

I like some of the ideas of giving a young guy a shot there, although Roy has looked very bad this preseason.

We're another draft + hage and Demidov away from competing. If Hage was in the Hobey convo next april, I wouldn't be surprised if the habs wanted him to turn pro asap. it's that desperate

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Will we claim someone off waivers?

Doubtful. I don't see anyone who can help us. ABB is as good as Pelletier probably better, and ABB is someone who can sit as 13th/14th forward.

This year is about moving the 3 amigos: Anderson, Gallagher & Dvorak. All 3 need to GTFO. They're top priority - if not this season then next summer (for Gallagher/Anderson, Dvo is UFA - thank God.)

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
alternate face-off centermen for lines 1 and 2; and spread out offense

Newhook Suzuki Caufield
Slafkovsky Dach Kapanen
Armia Dvo Gallagher
Heinemann Evans Barré-Boulet
Pezz 13th
Roy Anderson laval

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xjekaj Struble

Goalies

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Doubtful. I don't see anyone who can help us. ABB is as good as Pelletier probably better, and ABB is someone who can sit as 13th/14th forward.

This year is about moving the 3 amigos: Anderson, Gallagher & Dvorak. All 3 need to GTFO. They're top priority - if not this season then next summer (for Gallagher/Anderson, Dvo is UFA - thank God.)

Hudson Fasching if we want to get bigger.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Forwards:
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Newhook-Dach-Kapanen
Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson
Pezzetta, Heineman

IR:Laine, RHP​

Defence:
Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble
Barron

IR: Reinbacher​

Goalies:
Montembault
Primeau
Hard to deal with all the right handed shots we've accumulated.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Forwards:
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Newhook-Dach-Kapanen
Roy-Dvorak-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson
Pezzetta, Heineman

IR:Laine, RHP​

Defence:
Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble
Barron

IR: Reinbacher​

Goalies:
Montembault
Primeau
Hard to deal with all the right handed shots we've accumulated.
Gally and Anderson reduced to 4th line minutes??? :nod:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Roy usually plays better with offensive players. Try him with Dach line. Kapanen and Dvorak, Anderson line gives team two centers each on strong side. It worked well last year with Monahan and Evans. The Armia 4th line is good.

Dan88

Jul 7, 2018
Two more season with Anderson. Im just waiting that day when we finally get away from this player and contract. Dvorak is other. That guy has no passion. He never even smile after scoring. Awfull players.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
CC/Suzuki/Slaf played ~751 minutes together last year over 64 games after being put together mid-December. In the 18 games they were not together, Slaf/Dvorak/CC had more goals than any combos CC/Suzuki without Slaf MSL put together (becuse they didn't stick together as long irc).

Both CC and Suzuki were not going for career production until Slaf was added mid-December.
The point stands...............why make a change to that line? Was thinking Slaf only had 45 games with them.......but even still.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Roy usually plays better with offensive players. Try him with Dach line. Kapanen and Dvorak, Anderson line gives team two centers each on strong side. It worked well last year with Monahan and Evans. The Armia 4th line is good.
I think his camp does not lend itself to that............others have stepped in front of him.
I like the player, but his development could be better served in Laval, with top minutes...let's face it he does not get the call last year, if not for injuries, now he has a sub par camp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad