Blue Jays Discussion: post-deadline, back-at-home edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really bizarre they release Luciano

Something has to be up off-field there.

Luciano was the club's youngest pitcher in AA now that SWR was traded and had been putting up decent numbers. Guys like that don't get released mid-season without some sort of major problem away from the ballpark. There are guys on that team 6 years older who are getting clownpounded who will finish out the season.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Luciano was the club's youngest pitcher in AA now that SWR was traded and had been putting up decent numbers. Guys like that don't get released mid-season without some sort of major problem away from the ballpark. There are guys on that team 6 years older who are getting clownpounded who will finish out the season.

That would be my guess.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Agreed. You don't give up on a young guy who looks decent stats-wise and who the club invested a pretty notable amount of effort into acquiring and hanging onto via the Rule 5 draft last year (given the rarity of a player of his ilk even being available for free) just on a whim. It doesn't have to be malicious either. Maybe we find out he just didn't have his heart in it anymore. It'll be interesting to see if he turns around and signs with another team or not.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. You don't give up on a young guy who looks decent stats-wise and who the club invested a pretty notable amount of effort into acquiring and hanging onto via the Rule 5 draft last year (given the rarity of a player of his ilk even being available for free) just on a whim. It doesn't have to be malicious either. Maybe we find out he just didn't have his heart in it anymore. It'll be interesting to see if he turns around and signs with another team or not.

If his heart wasn't in it surely they would give him a leave of absence or something and hold onto his rights?

Regardless, there is no way this is performance related or something they wanted to be doing.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
He could have just asked for a release. It happens especially in situations where you got teams from like Japan offering big money to play there. These guys aren't slaves, you know.

I'm starting to think they should trade Kirk. I love the guy, but with Moreno waiting in the wings and the Jays using the DH spot more like a resting position, it doesn't seem worthwhile keeping him around when things like defense and pitching are far more pressing needs.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
He could have just asked for a release. It happens especially in situations where you got teams from like Japan offering big money to play there. These guys aren't slaves, you know.

I'm starting to think they should trade Kirk. I love the guy, but with Moreno waiting in the wings and the Jays using the DH spot more like a resting position, it doesn't seem worthwhile keeping him around when things like defense and pitching are far more pressing needs.
Generally teams will release players for Japan with the announcement accompanying it. This doesn’t appear to be the case here

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

The Marlins are a team to keep an eye on in terms of a potential trade partner. They have been rumoured to be looking for a long term solution to catcher given that Alfaro just hasn't panned out. Not only are they looking for a long term solution at a position where the Blue Jays arguably have a surplus, but the Marlins themselves arguably have a surplus in young arms that I expect them to dangle to land said controllable catcher. If the organization feels that Moreno is on track to debut early next season then I would be more than comfortable starting the season with Jansen as the primary catcher and then having him shift into sharing playing time with Moreno.

Reactions: tmlfan98 and Morgs

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Also interesting that he isn't dfa (since he's trade eligible), but released immediately

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Does anyone know anything about Yaifer Perdomo? Guy started a combined no hitter for the FCL Jays today, but he’s 20 in the FCL and had 59 K’s in 33 innings. He was about a K per inning 2 years ago as an 18 year old in the DSL

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Weird they released Luciano. I would assume they needed the 40 man spot for Palacios so this was the reciprocal move but there’s other junk that could have been dealt with first and like someone else mentioned it’s not a DFA which would be the normal move in such a scenario. He’s only got the 1 option year left after this year but he could have moved up to Buffalo by now that’s not a glaring issue developmental time wise

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Does anyone know anything about Yaifer Perdomo? Guy started a combined no hitter for the FCL Jays today, but he’s 20 in the FCL and had 59 K’s in 33 innings. He was about a K per inning 2 years ago as an 18 year old in the DSL

I know nothing about him, so I can't really add anything here except to emphasize how good he's been: 16+ K/9! Second at that level is just over 12.

And, conveniently enough, I just went looking for information about him and came across a BA report posted this morning: Baseball America Prospect Report — August 24, 2021

The key takeaway: in his last two appearances against the Tigers affiliate, he's struck out 22 in 9 IP.

Also, I just realized the FCL team has a prospect named Gabriel Martinez (who's actually having a nice season for them with a 139 wRC+ at 18). Now if they could just find an Orelvis Moreno they would have it all covered.

Reactions: aingefan and Morgs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I still believe a huge win streak is possible to get back in this thing. I am not giving up hope.

It isnt over by any stretch but its all in the Jays hands. They went from the 2nd best offense (112 wRC+) from the start of the season to August 8th. Then from August 9th to now they went to below league average (99 wRC+). The Jays have scored 3 runs or less in 10 of the last 16 = 63% of games In the previous 107 games they did it 34 times for 31%.

Pearson and Soria are on their way. Maybe Merryweather in a few weeks. The pitching will be ok if Montoyo lets the starters go deeper into games.

But if the offense continues this way then we are in trouble.

But it is really easy to come back, Jays are 4.5 GBs of the 2nd WC spot with almost 6 full weeks left. You pick up at least 1 game a week and you are in the playoffs by 1.5+ games. With 7 games left vs the Yankees and 3 vs Oakland, a lot of time to make it up. especially with 10 vs Baltimore.

That said, the Jays had a golden opportunity vs LAA, Seattle, Washington, and Detroit and they went 4-9. Even if they won 2 more games (1 vs Detroit Semien error and 1 vs WSH where they were leading late), they would be 2.5 GBs back. They have opportunities but they missed a big one over the last 2 weeks. The offense needs to wake up and it starts with Vladdy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garlando

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It isnt over by any stretch but its all in the Jays hands. They went from the 2nd best offense (112 wRC+) from the start of the season to August 8th. Then from August 9th to now they went to below league average (99 wRC+). The Jays have scored 3 runs or less in 10 of the last 16 = 63% of games In the previous 107 games they did it 34 times for 31%.

Pearson and Soria are on their way. Maybe Merryweather in a few weeks. They pitching will be ok if Montoyo lets the starters go deeper into games.

But if the offense continues this way then we are in trouble.

But it is really easy to come back, Jays are 4.5 GBs of the 2nd WC spot with almost 6 full weeks left. You pick up at least 1 game a week and you are in the playoffs by 1.5+ games. With 7 games left vs the Yankees and 3 vs Oakland, a lot of time to make it up. especially with 10 vs Baltimore.

That said, the Jays had a golden opportunity vs LAA, Seattle, Washington, and Detroit and they went 4-9. Even if they won 2 more games (1 vs Detroit Semien error and 1 vs WSH where they were leading late), they would be 2.5 GBs back. They have opportunities but they missed a big one over the last 2 weeks. The offense needs to wake up and it starts with Vladdy.

The starting pitching has been really good, but then the offence went to shit. Figures.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Pearson and Springer would be huge additions for us. Hopefully Merryweather too at some point. The season isnt over but they're running out of road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad