Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Continued with angry child gif

1qNCzfw.gif

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
I don't remember who I quoted (thread closed on me before I finished writing my post), but RE: Clutterbuck:

Yup. Mitchell might edge Clutterbuck out in a skills competition, but Cal is a far more effective hockey player.

Admittedly, I didn't know anything of Mitchell's skillset prior to this year, but after watching Clutterbuck since he's made it with the Wild, it's pretty clear that his is fairly limited by comparison.

He has one bloody shot that he damn near always takes -- high glove side. And even that'd be fine if he didn't have the precision of a sawed-off shotgun. He was most effective when he was a oft-checking agitator. It's cool that he wants to be more than that now, but he needs more than a handful of moves for that to even come close to resembling a goal scorer. Watching him now, you can pretty much assume the outcome whenever he gets the puck: He'll go wide, shoot over the net and have the puck turned over.

I'm to the point where I don't care who he's traded for, so long as it's a pick or someone comparable that can be plugged into the 3rd/4th line. Simply having a different set of moves for the opposing D to deal with will probably benefit the team more than anything Clutterbuck currently brings.

That's my two cents, anyway. :(

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
According to Bob McKenzie

SJ trades Handzus to CHI for 4th round pick...

EDIT: Should've been posted in Non-Minnesota thread....

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
would be preety cool if we were able to swing trades for both Mcbain, and Clowe.

To CAR: Pmb, Scandella, Cond. 3rd (PMB resigns)
To SJ: Phillips + ?

To MIN: McBain, low pick (CAR), Clowe

THEALLKNOWING*

Clutterbuck has 3 goals this year, two were tips. So of the 1000 he has taken (watch closely, the majority of what Greenlay says are passes are really shots), only 1 has actually gone in. Mitchell is a better overall player than Cal.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Clutterbuck has 3 goals this year, two were tips. So of the 1000 he has taken (watch closely, the majority of what Greenlay says are passes are really shots), only 1 has actually gone in. Mitchell is a better overall player than Cal.

Sure. Whatever, man.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Personally, I'm ready to part with Clutterbuck. And that is something I never would have considered at the start of the season. Strange how quickly things can change. But I'd rather put him in a package that will bring in some help on the blueline. If Fletch goes after Clowe, it had better be for a dang reasonable price. It's risky enough to mess with the chemistry on the forward lines at this point.

Think it through very carefully, Fletch. Don't #$@% things up now.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Because Mitchell has one more goal then CC this year he is a better overall player?

You do know that Mitchell only once in his career has even reached double digits in goals right?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Personally, I'm ready to part with Clutterbuck. And that is something I never would have considered at the start of the season. Strange how quickly things can change. But I'd rather put him in a package that will bring in some help on the blueline. If Fletch goes after Clowe, it had better be for a dang reasonable price. It's risky enough to mess with the chemistry on the forward lines at this point.

Think it through very carefully, Fletch. Don't #$@% things up now.

I'm with ya...I think Clutterbuck can be replaced by shifting Mitchell up to 3rd line or promoting Zucker for this season with Larsson being the long term replacement starting next season.

I also agree that ideally we get some help on the blueline rather than bringing in Clowe...From all reports, though, it sounds like there is some serious discussions to make a deal with SJ....I'm not against the idea of Ryane Clowe, I just wonder where he would fit?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I love Mitchell's play and would love for him to be on the 3rd line. But in addition to Clutterbuck, not instead of him. Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck could be a fantastic third line. My idea of going for Clowe is to be a short term replacement for Coyle, so the latter can go back down to Houston to work on developing his offensive game for next year and beyond.

I think it would be worthless if Clowe was traded for and only put on the third line. That's not worth any high end prospect.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm with ya...I think Clutterbuck can be replaced by shifting Mitchell up to 3rd line or promoting Zucker for this season with Larsson being the long term replacement starting next season.

I also agree that ideally we get some help on the blueline rather than bringing in Clowe...From all reports, though, it sounds like there is some serious discussions to make a deal with SJ....I'm not against the idea of Ryane Clowe, I just wonder where he would fit?
Ditto. And who do we give up for him? Many of our kids are doing well, which makes it scary to think of any of them in a trade. Our biggest need is on the blueline, so if Fletch overpays for a forward (who could be costly with an extension while also pushing a prospect out of the lineup), then we need to picket the Wild offices.

Problem is the guys that we may consider moving (Butch, Clutterbuck) aren't spring chickens. Sounds like they want young guns with some speed. That screams Zucker, and Fletch would have to go into hiding if he did that.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I love Mitchell's play and would love for him to be on the 3rd line. But in addition to Clutterbuck, not instead of him. Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck could be a fantastic third line. My idea of going for Clowe is to be a short term replacement for Coyle, so the latter can go back down to Houston to work on developing his offensive game for next year and beyond.

I think it would be worthless if Clowe was traded for and only put on the third line. That's not worth any high end prospect.
But it sounds like Clowe is looking to go to a team that is going to give him an extension. One reason why Fletch talked to his agent. The Wild aren't going to fork over prospects for a short term fix. And Fletch said himself how he didn't want the kids to be forced out of the lineup.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ditto. And who do we give up for him? Many of our kids are doing well, which makes it scary to think of any of them in a trade. Our biggest need is on the blueline, so if Fletch overpays for a forward (who could be costly with an extension while also pushing a prospect out of the lineup), then we need to picket the Wild offices.

Problem is the guys that we may consider moving (Butch, Clutterbuck) aren't spring chickens. Sounds like they want young guns with some speed. That screams Zucker, and Fletch would have to go into hiding if he did that.

Phillips? Scandella? Bulmer? Maybe one of our unsigned prospects like Graovac or Bussieres? Maybe a combination of one of these with a "reasonable" draft pick (3rd round or lower).

I doubt that Fletch would consider training any of our blue-chip prospects (Zucker included). If he did, I would flip out.

Last edited:

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Prospects are assets to be used as necessary and often what is necessary is to trade them. It is one of the great advantages to having good prospects.

The only thing i don't get in all of this, and i am not the biggest of Stafford fans but why are the Wild (if they are willing to move CC for Clowe) not pushing for Stafford instead? Makes more sense to me and there is no extension to worry about and i bet it would cost about the same.

THEALLKNOWING*

Because Mitchell has one more goal then CC this year he is a better overall player?

You do know that Mitchell only once in his career has even reached double digits in goals right?

Scoring goals the determing factor in a players ability? Missing the net high and wide constantly emakes a good player? Finishing checks behind the play is the stuff legends are made of? If you put Michell on Koivu's line, like CC experienced the past several years, i have no doubt Mitchell would surpass CC's totals. But we will never know.

No my assessment is from watching, and playing, and coaching the game.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Scoring goals the determing factor in a players ability? Missing the net high and wide constantly emakes a good player? Finishing checks behind the play is the stuff legends are made of? If you put Michell on Koivu's line, like CC experienced the past several years, i have no doubt Mitchell would surpass CC's totals. But we will never know.

No my assessment is from watching, and playing, and coaching the game.
It was the determining factor YOU used which is why i responded with what i did.

Are you saying Mitchell was playing on sub par lines while in San Jose? Clutterbuck has consistently outplayed Mitchell on teams that were nowhere near as talented as the Sharks. There is a large enough body of work to determine that CC is better then Mitchell and there isn't a GM in the league who would disagree with that.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
CC & Mitchell seem pretty similar to me overall, imo...

One is a little better here, and the other is a little better there, but that's about it.

Both are useful :)

J22*

Prospects are assets to be used as necessary and often what is necessary is to trade them. It is one of the great advantages to having good prospects.

The only thing i don't get in all of this, and i am not the biggest of Stafford fans but why are the Wild (if they are willing to move CC for Clowe) not pushing for Stafford instead? Makes more sense to me and there is no extension to worry about and i bet it would cost about the same.

Stafford brings nothing but goal scoring and he's not very consistent with that even.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Clutterbuck is a fine hockey player and he has a lot of supporters, but I think we've moved past a 3rd line with nothing but north-south checkers who can chip in 10-15 goals by taking available shots and crashing the net.

Yes, Clutterbuck was a big upgrade over the likes of Powe, Kobasew, Nystrom, Veilleux, Parrish and Radivojevic. He is superior to those kinds of bottom-6 grinders.

However, he can't play with top-9ers who play the possession and creative offensive game. He's oil and they are water.

Sheng Peng

Clutterbuck is a fine hockey player and he has a lot of supporters, but I think we've moved past a 3rd line with nothing but north-south checkers who can chip in 10-15 goals by taking available shots and crashing the net.

Yes, Clutterbuck was a big upgrade over the likes of Powe, Kobasew, Nystrom, Veilleux, Parrish and Radivojevic. He is superior to those kinds of bottom-6 grinders.

However, he can't play with top-9ers who play the possession and creative offensive game. He's oil and they are water.

A north-south guy who pops in about 15 goals a year sounds like the start of a good third liner to me. Add in a ferocious physical game and sound defensive play, and I'm not seeing a problem. I think Clutterbuck is the type of player that can be an integral part of a Stanley Cup winner.

Last edited:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Maybe this kind of deal would be part 1 of a bigger plan.

Part 1: Bring in Clowe
Part 2: Move Clutterbuck (in the early summer) in a package for a defenseman

Just grasping at straws.

Imagine if we faced the Sharks in the playoffs. It'd be one big reunion. The GM's could share a booth in the pressbox.

Wildfan10*

Looks like San Jose is asking for a mighty price for Clowe. plus I heard he wants arounf 6mil + on his next contract...... Pass. Unless we can somehow just trade pmb + phillips for him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Looks like San Jose is asking for a mighty price for Clowe. plus I heard he wants arounf 6mil + on his next contract...... Pass. Unless we can somehow just trade pmb + phillips for him.

Where's you source on what SJ is looking for? I haven't seen anything other than Sharks fan thinking they will get more than they will eventually end up with.

..and Russo was speculating that Clowe was looking for 5 years/ $25 million...which is too rich for my blood...I would be alright with 3 years / $12 million.

Wildfan10*

Where's you source on what SJ is looking for? I haven't seen anything other than Sharks fan thinking they will get more than they will eventually end up with.

..and Russo was speculating that Clowe was looking for 5 years/ $25 million...which is too rich for my blood...I would be alright with 3 years / $12 million.

Apparently the Flyers beat writer said that San Jose wanted Sean Couturier. So for us i'd imagine it would have to be a Coyle or a Zucker. Definitely not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad