Player Discussion Pontus Holmberg

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nothing special but is an NHLer, a perfectly serviceable 4th liner. 2 way player, not a physical beast or anything but is fairly stocky and competes hard. Like that he can play wing or center. Didn’t play well tonight, but it was 1 game.

If he wasn’t a Leaf he’d still be in the league, could find a spot on plenty of other 4th lines in the NHL. Again, nothing special, but fine. I like that his AAV is $800K, unlike some of our other 4th liners (Kampf $2.4 and Reavo $1.35).

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Really bad game tonight. Looked like a step behind the whole way. Not even good defensively. Might be time to sit him for a couple of games.
You kinda look at Holmberg through a judgemental lens cause he's a tweener, but it really looked like he couldn't keep up with nhl'ers tonight, got frustrated, and took a penalty trying to cheat and keep up. Really bad night for him.

Reactions: rumman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think he's been quite bad for most of the games.

I really feel like there's got to be someone better on the Marlies.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Has a tremendous opportunity right now to step up. Unfortunately not grabbing it. Had high hopes, but he's making the glaring need for a 2/3C even more evident.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He needs to sit, Berube’s mantra is players need to earn their ice time, Holmberg hasn’t done that the last few games………

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He is what he is... a decent depth forward in case of injuries. He should not be a regular in the lineup, especially in the top 9.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He just sort of exists. He's your typical Dubas forward draft pick. Very vanilla. Don't mind him filling in for injuries over the course of the season, but I doubt he makes the playoffs lineup.

Reactions: OVO16

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not every player will be on fire or super effective. I don't know why people are puzzled with Holmberg. It baffles me actually.

He's cheap, he's effective most nights and can chip on the PK or 5 on 5 typically coming out even. No, he's not a star or a top end player nor was it ever said he was. Every team has these kind of players. Sometimes they look good, sometimes not so much. It's gonna be ok.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He’s been a disappointment thus far.

Was really hoping he’d step up this season as he really stood out for me in the Bruins series.

Showed a snot and gritty side I didn’t know he had, and was hoping to see more of it under Berube’s tutelage, but so far he’s not been impactful is a way the Leafs need him to be.

Just highlights again how weak we are at Centre, thanks to blind boy-blunder Dubas , and how building it up has to be Treliving’s next area of focus.

He’s already fixed our issues in goal and improved our defence, so interested to see how he strengthens our Centre depth.

Lindholm was a missed opportunity to do so.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
As with Kampf, I don't like his offensive ability enough to want him in a top nine role (especially at centre). He's decent as a fourth liner. Ideally, he and DK should be on the fourth line.

Holmberg reminds me of Kerfoot somewhat (but he's worse). Just a vanilla, boring sort of player.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He’s been a disappointment thus far.

Was really hoping he’d step up this season as he really stood out for me in the Bruins series.

Showed a snot and gritty side I didn’t know he had, and was hoping to see more of it under Berube’s tutelage, but so far he’s not been impactful is a way the Leafs need him to be.

Just highlights again how weak we are at Centre, thanks to blind boy-blunder Dubas , and how building it up has to be Treliving’s next area of focus.

He’s already fixed our issues in goal and improved our defence, so interested to see how he strengthens our Centre depth.

Lindholm was a missed opportunity to do so.
Let him sit for a few games and let him decide if he wants to be part of the team and all yhat comes with that decision………

Reactions: arso40

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
lol I got torched a week ago for saying he’s a replacement level player.

He’s a bottom-six guy, who doesn’t excel in any one area. He’s much better on the wing than he is at center.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and nuck

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Players all have rough games.
He’s not a line driver, but a smart and mostly effective two-way guy who can move up and down.
Not every player has to be in the 90th %ile.
He’s fine on my team anyday.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s a decent fourth line player who can move up if need be due to injuries. Don’t think he’s anything more than that. Not sure why so many had high hopes for him.

Reactions: OVO16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad