Pontus Holmberg

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it is a confidence thing.

Is it reality that the Leafs don't have patience with their prospects, and they leave and become very good players elsewhere, or is that a misconception?

He does only have 67 NHL games, hardly enough to call his career.
The game slows down the more you play.
Or that's what they say. Hence the reason to be patient with rookies

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Let's remember Holmberg turns 25 in less than 2 weeks. He hasn't maxed out, but this isn't a 19 year old kid breaking in.

David Krejci had well over 200 points by the time he was the same age Holmberg now.

I don’t see how this is relevant. Hyman was today days old when he started threatening to be a 50 goal scorer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a player that I like quite a bit and have since he came up the first time, but also somebody that, if they have to package him off to get a piece that's fine by me.

I don’t see how this is relevant. Hyman was today days old when he started threatening to be a 50 goal scorer

Holmberg is a good player but he and Hyman are not the same thing.

Reactions: Duffman955

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m not sure what people are watching when they say he’s not strong along the boards.
It’s not only size, it’s a skill too.
One he’s actually strong at.
Factor in how he seemlessly transitioned to the top line, and this guy not only does whatever he’s asked to help win, but has future value contract written all over him.

Reactions: ruaware41

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would prefer to see Holmberg on the second line instead of Bertuzzi.

Knies Matthews Marner
Holmberg Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok Kampf Robertson

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's been playing well for Sweden in the WHC according to Sweden fans, some even saying he's been one of their best players overall. Has 6 pts in 7 games, currently in the quarterfinal vs Finland where they are scoreless. I look forward to seeing him grow into a bigger role with the Leafs.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he's significantly better at wing than he is at centre and can give you more offensively, at least that was my observation these playoffs.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Not a big guy, but he plays bigger than he is. He protects the puck well and seems to be able to be inserted throughout the lineup.

I think he has lots of room to grow.

Reactions: arso40 and Lilou

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
If I remember correctly didn’t holmberg Mathews and knies have a great game together and then next game broken up for some reason

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If the team can move off Kampf and his $2.4 I would be fine with a 4th line of Dewar-Holmberg-Reeves/Gregor

Reactions: ashs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Holmberg needs a structured development step forward and a stable identity in the bottom six for next year to keep growing his confidence and career.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I've been pretty impressed with Holmberg through the first couple of games. He looks stronger and more tenacious. He's really good defensively, he has been good on draws, and a solid PKer.

I'm bumping this thread because I think this team's success rides a lot on what he can bring. So far his line has been creating in the offensive zone. Maybe he'll become that legit 3C we need, or maybe he turns into the next Kampf. Personally, I think it would be nice to see Nylander on his wing alongside Patches.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Sorry folks, this guy is not a 3rd line center, IF you believe distributed scoring and strength down the middle are issues. They need a more offensively impactful center on this line. He is the weak link. And, it is an important missing piece of the puzzle.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've been pretty impressed with Holmberg through the first couple of games. He looks stronger and more tenacious. He's really good defensively, he has been good on draws, and a solid PKer.

I'm bumping this thread because I think this team's success rides a lot on what he can bring. So far his line has been creating in the offensive zone. Maybe he'll become that legit 3C we need, or maybe he turns into the next Kampf. Personally, I think it would be nice to see Nylander on his wing alongside Patches.

Looks like he improved over the summer.
Experience does help, especially in the tougher positions, like center.
Being he's marners favorite player maybe ... you know ...

Bye the way, he's only played 100 NHL games (includes playoffs)

1728670278833.png

Reactions: Roo

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He stood out for me in the playoffs.

Saw an edge and meanness to him that I didn’t know was there. I thought he was to vanilla until I saw him in the playoffs.

If anyone can get him to find his inner asshole, it’s Berube,

I’d like to see him on the 4th line with Lorentz and Dewar. I think that could be a very good 4th line. Fast, hard to play against, and some finish,

Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He stood out for me in the playoffs.

Saw an edge and meanness to him that I didn’t know was there. I thought he was to vanilla until I saw him in the playoffs.

If anyone can get him to find his inner asshole, it’s Berube,

I’d like to see him on the 4th line with Lorentz and Dewar. I think that could be a very good 4th line. Fast, hard to play against, and some finish,
He also had an excellent World Championships showing where he was an integral player for Sweden. The more trust he seems to get the more he excels. Could be our Alex Steen lite if it all pans, which is sad to say since we did have our Alex Steen and senile Fletcher traded him away.

Reactions: Roo and LeafSteel

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honestly the best comparable for Pontus Holmberg is a young Calle Jarnkrok.

Versatile, solid, but kind of unspectacular in many ways. As a #3C, he does not posess the ability to "match up" against the likes of Connor McDavid, nor does he really posess the offensive creativity that you'd want if you're going to use Matthews in defensive matchups..

But, as a versatile, bounce-around the lineup kind of player, he's a really solid fit. If the Leafs adapt more of a "pack" mentality versus Stars and Star-nots... he'll begin to have more of an impact.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Bye the way, he's only played 100 NHL games (includes playoffs)
Yes, this is key... and he's played far fewer games for us at center.

He also had an excellent World Championships showing where he was an integral player for Sweden. The more trust he seems to get the more he excels. Could be our Alex Steen lite if it all pans, which is sad to say since we did have our Alex Steen and senile Fletcher traded him away.
Didn't know this, but good to hear.
Honestly the best comparable for Pontus Holmberg is a young Calle Jarnkrok.

Versatile, solid, but kind of unspectacular in many ways. As a #3C, he does not posess the ability to "match up" against the likes of Connor McDavid
Who does? All anyone can do is limit McDavid's damage. Not saying you are wrong in your projection here, that could certainly end up being the outcome for him. But to me, if he is a quality shutdown center that can give you 0.5PPG, we're good here. Our own version of an Anthony Cirelli would be my hope.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The power he gets on those one handed back hands he likes is interesting. Seems like one of those 4th liners we let go for cheap and you randomly see them put up 40+ points somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad