Speculation: Poll: Should the Bruins Retain or Trade Trent Frederic?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should the Bruins retain or trade Trent Frederic?

• Retain

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Depends what the trade is for. If he's part of a package for a guy like Elias Lindholm then I'll drive him to Logan myself, but if we're trading him for draft picks simply cause we can't afford him then that'd be idiotic.
You mean if somehow the arbitration ruling gives Frederic 2.5?

For all his inconsistency, and meh at this level, Trent Frederick is not worth 2.5 I'm not sure he's worth 2 million. Or one and a half.

To me, he is not a smart hockey player. I would like to be wrong but I don't think he'll ever get there.

Fewer poor penalties relative to agitation or fighting last season, but his agitation and fighting are inconsistent to begin with.

For his own sake, I hope he has learned that empty, punk trash talk will not win him respect in the NHL. He's willing to go.

But, as it were, can he get there? I have my doubts.

He's not a full-on player. He's just sort of there, not doing a great deal most of the time.

Will the real Trent Frederic please stand up?

He's been in the organization since 2018 - 2019.

Now or never, it seems to me.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You mean if somehow the arbitration ruling gives Frederic 2.5?

For all his inconsistency, and meh at this level, Trent Frederick is not worth 2.5 I'm not sure he's worth 2 million. Or one and a half.

To me, he is not a smart hockey player. I would like to be wrong but I don't think he'll ever get there.

Fewer poor penalties relative to agitation or fighting last season, but his agitation and fighting are inconsistent to begin with.

For his own sake, I hope he has learned that empty, punk trash talk will not win him respect in the NHL. He's willing to go.

But, as it were, can he get there? I have my doubts.

He's not a full-on player. He's just sort of there, not doing a great deal most of the time.

Will the real Trent Frederic please stand up?

He's been in the organization since 2018 - 2019.

Now or never, it seems to me.
Not worth 1.5M?!? Jesus Christ.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If it were an option I would vote "simply don't care." If he's back that's fine. If he's packaged in a trade, that's fine as well. Size and skill are there. Competitive fire and IQ are not there. Did just enough to earn his keep last (regular) season. Maybe something will click this season and he will set the world on fire. Not a player I can get worked up over one way or the other at this point.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
keep him if the price isn't too high... he doesn't set the world on fire but he's certainly got some value the B's could use moving forward

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You trade anyone that gets you a better need/ player.

So,it all depends on the return.
I am not asking anyone to name specific players.

However, REALISTICALLY,, WHAT MIGHT THAT RETURN BE? MY SENSE IS THAT HE WOULD HAVE TO BE PACKAGED. NOT WHAT I WANT I DON'T THINK HE'S GOOD ENOUGH TO BE TREATED ONE ON ONE, UNLESS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT LATE ROUND DRAFT PICKS. WHICH IS FINE.

Sorry about the caps. Voice to text on the phone,

✌️😔 🏃🏒

Reactions: quietbruinfan

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Well there are two questions I have....

1. What does it cost to retain him?
2. What could he bring back via trade?
If we can get anything of value that helps the team out in both ways, cap or positionally getting a top 6 center, no one should be off the table.

Otherwise

Trade Forbort for future considerations. He's the bottom of the totem pole for value per cap hit for me.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It doesn't matter what I think because from the looks of things, the Bruins want to keep him. Lucic even mentioned him as a player the Bruins want him to work with. If they wanted him gone, he could have been gone as early as the draft.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Trade or keep him, it doesn't really matter to me, he's not a core piece by any measure. Correct answer depends on the value of the return. I'd rather retain him at 2.5 than trade him away for the proverbial bag of pucks. Doesn't mean I think he's worth 2.5 (he's not), but Frederic at 2.5 is worth more to me than a bunch of never-was or might-never-be players.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As others have said. I vote to retain him. But then again he fits into a very large group of players in the org, I would certainly be willing to trade him in the right package.

But short of McAvoy, Marchand, Pasta and maybe Swayman, that is true of every player who has an NHL contract right now with the Bruins. And face it, I might even consider those 4 for the right package in return. Obviously Bergeron who is not signed, is the one player I simply wouldn't move

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I would keep him, give him a bigger role (pp time) and see how he develops.
Also feel that a year with Looch will do wonders for him.
I used to hate when the B's moved on from players before they really hit their stride or just before.
Although, as GW said if he is used to bring in a piece that we lack in trade (C1 or2) then that would be wise use of the player too.

If he's going to be in Boston for a while yet, I agree. They should give him plenty of minutes to find out what he is.

I still don't know.

Retain. Young power forward types who can produce don't grow on trees.

Given what you've seen, do you really think of Frederic as a power forward?

What does he do, consistently, that fits the description? I don't see it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am going to say yes, trade him. He has developed in most aspects of the game but he is still a player with a lot of question marks, and a low ceiling,who amassed probable career numbers on an excellent team. We need a center, but I think we might do well for him in trade, especially as part of a package. Edit: The more I think about it, the more I say make him the second or third asset in a trade.

For once, we are in complete agreement. This is basically how I see it.

If it comes down to Frederic or Swayman, we all know that answer.

There's not even a question.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I voted retain...but of course it depends on the contract.

Once it gets to over 2 million I begin to question it, but I also don't love bringing in too many players who are learning the system.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Big agree on this, he proved he's an NHL caliber third liner last season, time to start bumping up his minutes. Give him more PK time and put him on PP2, see what happens.

On board with as many minutes as they can spare, because they have to find out -- really find out -- what he is and whether he's worth keeping.

Personally, I see a low offensive ceiling, which he has probably already hit, given the depth and talent surrounding him last season, which won't be the case going forward.

As noted, I see little development defensively, though the potential may well be there.

I keep coming back to meh. I just don't see what Fredric gives you on a nightly basis in consistent fashion.

He had a modest "breakout season."

The true test is coming. I am not certain he can meet it.

Finally, as petty as it appears, and is, I suspect that as with many GM's who whiff on a draft selection, pride prevents Sweeney from dealing a player he selected (29) in the first round, which was something of a reach. (Where have I heard that phrase before?) Perhaps I'm the petty one here.

Give Frederic the minutes, see what you have on a nightly basis over at least a three week period, and act accordingly.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go at this point.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Unless it's in a package to bring Lindholm In then retain. Frederic brings much more to the table than inserting Beecher or Lysell in at this stage

"Much more to the table"?

What more to the table?

Not counting on Beecher or Lysell, but it would not surprise in the least if the former brings his size and stride, consistently, in a way Frederic has not.

I see Lysell in PRO much of the season, learning how to negotiate the professional game, especially its physical nature in North America. He has far greater upside than TF.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
One good year with 17 goals, lots of JAGs have cashed in via GM's being fooled by "trajectory" after 1 decent year and then the player regressing to their natural JAG levels after the contract. Happens in all professional sports and can albatross the team payroll, hence my statement on the one year "show me again" deal. If Sweeney decides his ask is too great, I'd prefer to put the $$ on Swayman and I'm guessing so would Sweeney. If I were Freddy I'd bet on myself and sign a cheap one year contract and work my ass off, keep scoring goals and win a few fights under Lucic's teachings. Otherwise with our limited cap space he will price himself off the team.

I like the show me idea. I think Frederic would accept the challenge.

Like Looch, I suspect he would preform better on a short term deal (two, three years).

Unlike Looch, Frederic has a lot -- a lot -- of proving to do. I wish him well but am not certain proof positive is in the offing.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’d retain him for under $3M.

That said, I just want to see him develop into a legitimate power forward. He’s not there yet.

If he can become a 35-40 point guy who will play his role of being a physical forward, sign me up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
If it were an option I would vote "simply don't care." If he's back that's fine. If he's packaged in a trade, that's fine as well. Size and skill are there. Competitive fire and IQ are not there. Did just enough to earn his keep last (regular) season. Maybe something will click this season and he will set the world on fire. Not a player I can get worked up over one way or the other at this point.

In significant degree, you place your finger on the problem.

Originally, I had three answers, and was very interested to see where posters would come down on those answers:

Yes.

No.

NOT SURE.

To me, there's a whole lot of "not sure" in Trent Frederic's game, to the point -- your point -- that he's almost an afterthought.

"Not a player I can get worked up over one way or another at this point."

What does that tell you?

Nothing good.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
keep him if the price isn't too high... he doesn't set the world on fire but he's certainly got some value the B's could use moving forward

That's part of what I'm saying.

IF he's meh, why bother anymore?

He is in no fashion worth anything close to 2 million. He isn't worth $1.2 million.

I DON'T BELEIVE TRENT IS JUST ANOTHER GUY.

But he's simply not worth keeping around, because to this point, he hasn't figured it out. He's inconsistent and you don't know what you're going to get from him on night to night basis.

Realize it will not happen anytime soon, but the B's should wheel him for whatever they can get.

I voted retain...but of course it depends on the contract.

Once it gets to over 2 million I begin to question it, but I also don't love bringing in too many players who are learning the system.

Do you believe TF has learned the system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad