Poile and Weber inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I said he has top four potential. You said nobody from the echl has ever been top 4 so maybe bust isn’t the word but you’re saying he won’t amount to what I think. Whatever. Don’t care. Matier is a bum. I don’t know hockey I guess. Cheers.
Once again, I did not say that either. I said that I bet it was very very rare for someone that started in the ECHL to be a top 4, that is not nobody. However, the very list you provided pretty much proves that it is indeed very very rare.

I don't care whether the guy makes it or not. I don't care a thing in the world about the names on the back, I cheer for the logo on the front no matter what that name is. Why you are so heavily invested in being right on one player is beyond me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Once again, I did not say that either. I said that I bet it was very very rare for someone that started in the ECHL to be a top 4, that is not nobody. However, the very list you provided pretty much proves that it is indeed very very rare.

I don't care whether the guy makes it or not. I don't care a thing in the world about the names on the back, I cheer for the logo on the front no matter what that name is. Why you are so heavily invested in being right on one player is beyond me.
That list was fairly misleading also... Girardi and Beachemin happened to play just 7 games each in the ECHL, but the bulk of their rookie seasons were in the AHL. Streit actually played 14 games in the ECHL, but 43 in the AHL in his rookie season. Joe Corvo played 5 games in the ECHL.

Deryk Engelland is the ONLY defenseman on that list who played a full regular season in the ECHL.

Reactions: Armourboy

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm kind of writing him off, tbh. I mean, I hope every one of our prospects makes it. But realistically, you can follow their progress even just online and guess that some of them aren't very likely to.

If it's any consolation for the Matier fan(s), I would write off lots of other players in our system similarly. Prokop, Wilsby, and Livingstone also on D, for example. MOST of the time, if a player is going to make the NHL, they show some signs even in their first pro years. There are always exceptions, so hopefully we'll find one, and who knows maybe Matier will be that one. I will be right here to praise anybody who boldly predicted his success if so. :thumbu:

This is totally agree with. Players can definitely develop late, or come up through different paths like ECHL and make the NHL... but real impact players, you usually know pretty early that they will be special, and superstars don't spend a lot of time in development.

On the topic of Weber, he wasn't hyped going into the draft, heck he was only the third defenseman that the Predators drafted this year behind Suter and Klein. But once Kelowna's season started, the smoke started spreading and it wasn't too long before we were getting pretty hyped for what Weber could be. Similarly, once he hit the AHL he only spent half a season there. That's very typical of superstar players, they either skip the AHL or play their way up and out of it in short order.

And outside of those types of players, everyone else is pretty replaceable and interchangeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad