Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Anyone have real info on Vilardi's back injury? Links would be appreciated.
There is something about it here (LA website):

The Kings selected Vilardi, a center from Kingston, Ontario, with the No. 11 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, and signed him to a three-year, entry-level contract on March 1, 2018.

However, a chronic back injury cost Vilardi much of the 2018-19 season and limited him to four games with Ontario of the American Hockey League; he was unable to play for Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Vilardi was healthy for the beginning of the 2019-20 season and was assigned to Ontario, where he scored nine goals in 32 games before the Kings called him up. He had barely stepped on the ice for his NHL debut before taking a wrist shot that beat Florida Panthers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Vilardi also had an assist in Los Angeles' 5-4 victory.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
No real details as you'd expect, but a pretty clear timeline that suggests some candidates for injury type and therapies for remediation / maintenance.

Yeah, puzzling. I surmised a disc prolapse but you'd think he would've had (keyhole) surgery for it already.
What's your educated guess?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I hope that Chevy did try for Byfield. I assume he was a non-starter, otherwise, c'mon... hopefully if Vilardi is the major piece of the return that he can stay healthy.

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why? Because they were smart enough to not vastly overpay for a 60 pt. player?
1687890850674.png

All due credit to https://twitter.com/NikSmiith

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, puzzling. I surmised a disc prolapse but you'd think he would've had (keyhole) surgery for it already.
What's your educated guess?

Hard to say -- esp with a chronic injuriy.

I won't speculate too specifically but cervical injuries tend to predominate in hockey with burst fractures/ significant herniations common and instances of frac/vdisloc and teardrops, etc.

Degeneration due to disease or trauma pops up also, even in younger players. Timelines can be long looks like GV has taken his regime seriously and made some significant progress -- but as they say, backs is backs. Always possible for a site to flare or be re-injured.

I'm confident the Jets will have done their due diligence via their med team and have a good idea of the state of play.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I am very interested to see how PLD performs in LA. Throughout his entire career he has always played with an elite scoring winger... Panarin in Columbus and then Ehlers/Connor in Winnipeg. He has never been "THE Guy" on his line.

In LA he will have to be that, Fiala is the closest they have to an elite winger, and while he's a good player, he is no Panarin/Connor/Ehlers and tends to run hot and cold (and no guarantee he would even play with Fiala).

I will esp be keeping a close eye on his 5v5 scoring which has been pretty meh. He has been feasting on the PP for the last couple of years, PP scoring is more likely to see a dip or a steep ride when switching teams.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Do we need a second thread for this discussion? Feel like it should be closed until something's confirmed.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Still worried about what is heading the other way. Fine if it is Stanley Disappointed if it is Henoila. Better not be SALOMONSSON or KUZMIN.

Agreed. Hoping it's Stanley as well.

Would imagine it's very unlikely that Salomonsson is involved due to the org's complete lack of RHD and the abundance for the Kings.

I keep praying the size and LHD of Mr. Stanley will entice Blake to just get this deal done and across the finish line.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
McIntyre said he heard the jets were pushing for a 2nd round pick
Valardi, Iafallo, Kupari, 2023 or 24 2nd round pick

For

Dubois, Harkins, Heinola

Is my guess.

Would prefer it be Stanley but we will see…

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Hard to say -- esp with a chronic injuriy.

I won't speculate too specifically but cervical injuries tend to predominate in hockey with burst fractures/ significant herniations common and instances of frac/vdisloc and teardrops, etc.

Degeneration due to disease or trauma pops up also, even in younger players. Timelines can be long looks like GV has taken his regime seriously and made some significant progress -- but as they say, backs is backs. Always possible for a site to flare or be re-injured.

I'm confident the Jets will have done their due diligence via their med team and have a good idea of the state of play.
Appreciate the detailed (yet necessarily general !) reply.

My read on this situation is that the Jets are taking a calculated risk here. If Vilardi stays healthy, he could be a steal, but, as you say, backs are backs. Everyone understands the risks and that's what makes it a fair deal.

OTOH--hockey is a rough game and injuries are common, even more so for players playing PLDs style. I'd rate PLD's career likelihood of injury to be significant too, though less than Vilardi's.

Maybe PLD's game 5 was a "personal day" to keep himself healthy for his next team. Can't be too careful with the body, y'know.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad