Playoffs: whom to cheer, whom to jeer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Partially. But they want a team from the South not already in a saturated market to win. Tampa dominated for nearly a decade. The way the league will see it… that’s Florida covered. The Panthers winning too does nothing for them.

Whereas the return of Edmonton to relevancy, to have their new Crosby in McDavid finally win his Cup… that’s gotta have them salivate too.

Were Carolina or Dallas or Nashville in the Cup Final here… that’s new markets without major success recently. If a SoCal team was able to do anything again.

The league will certainly want to be able to put McDavid back at the forefront of their branding and a Conn Smythe level Cup run to break the Canadian Cup drought is manna from heaven
dont agree with that, not log ago panthers struggling with attendance, two distinct areas too, not like they down street from each other like kings n ducks

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Oh man, one of these teams is going to have an extra heartbreaking game 7 loss. Panthers for the biggest choke in modern hockey history. Oilers for coming almost alway the way back and losing.

I'm pulling for the Oilers now. The epic meltdown of the Panthers would be just too sweet and I do want McDavid to win a Cup, in spite of Holland. And after his playoff run the Conn Smythe is a gimme.

Oct 18, 2006
Oh man, one of these teams is going to have an extra heartbreaking game 7 loss. Panthers for the biggest choke in modern hockey history. Oilers for coming almost alway the way back and losing.

I'm pulling for the Oilers now. The epic meltdown of the Panthers would be just too sweet and I do want McDavid to win a Cup, in spite of Holland. And after his playoff run the Conn Smythe is a gimme.
I was cheering for Florida, but now I actually think I want Edmonton to win. So conflicted, but the choke would be funny. Just sucks Holland will get the Cup.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I was cheering for Florida, but now I actually think I want Edmonton to win. So conflicted, but the choke would be funny. Just sucks Holland will get the Cup.

Same here. I'm sure people will laud his genius in signing Hyman and overlook his bad moves.

Whatever happens, Edmonton should not extend Holland. Send him off to pasture before he runs the team into the ground.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland did build a possible Cup winner and should get fired?

Yeah, right.

My god you guys have weird opinions.

He is retiring anyways.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Yeah, right.

He is retiring anyways.
I mean you're not wrong. But then I look at the age of McDavid and Drai, it's kind of crazy how long it took them to get here with those monsters. I also look at their drafting, I don't think Wright is there anymore but holy cow does that drafting look familiarly disastrous.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm going to feel really bad for Paul Maurice.

While extremely happy for Connor McDavid.

Even happier for the possible Draisaitl trade rumors to repop up if they win it all. ;):sarcasm::naughty::D:popcorn:

Reactions: lilidk

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Yeah, right.

He is retiring anyways.
If you told me that Holland's goal as GM was to prevent McDavid from getting a cup without getting fired, that would explain his actions as Edmonton's GM better than the idea that he's trying to win. That is a very mediocre team buoyed by a few names-the most important of which Holland had no part in acquiring. It just feels like this cup would cement his legacy as one of the best GMs of all time and that feels so wrong when on average he makes the wrong choice.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean you're not wrong. But then I look at the age of McDavid and Drai, it's kind of crazy how long it took them to get here with those monsters. I also look at their drafting, I don't think Wright is there anymore but holy cow does that drafting look familiarly disastrous.

Ekholm, Hyman and Kane to me are all amazing moves

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Eh Kane is pretty bad in my opinion, I would replace that with the Nuge contract. Would've used Kane money on defense.

Or goaltending, and speaking of that Campbell contract, I mean we all knew it was bad day one.

Mistakes are always made.. holl.. husso...but again Hyman, Ekholm and Kane are all fantastic

Bouchard, Nurse, Ekholm is a top 3 we can only dream of having and yes that includes the fact Nurse is 2-3m overpaid

KH is alot of things but it's hard to argue against the current roster

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Mistakes are always made.. holl.. husso...but again Hyman, Ekholm and Kane are all fantastic

Bouchard, Nurse, Ekholm is a top 3 we can only dream of having and yes that includes the fact Nurse is 2-3m overpaid

KH is alot of things but it's hard to argue against the current roster
Don't think I've ever dreamed about having Nurse in our top 3. I'm also a bigger Dobson fan than Bouchard if we are talking about that draft class. Not that Holland was there at the time.

I dunno I think Seider, Edvinsson and whoever we can get as a number three be it ASP, Walman or a free agent will be better. I'm super biased granted but I don't think anyone looks at Edmonton's defense as the pinnacle to building a winner. So if they are not better then yikes, because we don't have a McDavid or Draisaitl.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Holland was lucky in Detroit and he is not a good GM , still wish him the best before he retires

Reactions: Realgud

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Don't think I've ever dreamed about having Nurse in our top 3. I'm also a bigger Dobson fan than Bouchard if we are talking about that draft class. Not that Holland was there at the time.

I dunno I think Seider, Edvinsson and whoever we can get as a number three be it ASP, Walman or a free agent will be better. I'm super biased granted but I don't think anyone looks at Edmonton's defense as the pinnacle to building a winner. So if they are not better then yikes, because we don't have a McDavid or Draisaitl.
Nurse is overpaid by 2-3m but as a #3 dman we can only dream of having a guy like that.

I get we're all super hopeful out kids become good, but sometimes we need to look more objectively and use stats and trends and less just hope and prayers...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hard to look at Darnell Nurse, say he's a bad player unless you're factoring in his pay.

Walks onto this team and is the 2nd best defender who can log 20 mins. (Idk if that's saying much but hey...)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Come on man this is rose colored to a tee..
Now that it's the offseason the myth of Edvinsson has apparently returned. "The Wings would've gotten into the playoffs if they had only started him as a rookie in October coming off shoulder surgery ahead of schedule!"

To be clear I like Ed and thought he looked very good when he was in the lineup. He also made mistakes, as is to be expected. I think he's got the potential to be a great defenseman for the Wings. But the narrative that he would've stabilized the team enough to get them into the playoffs is fan fiction.

As is the myth that multiple players in the AHL have already surpassed the play of NHL regulars.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Now that it's the offseason the myth of Edvinsson has apparently returned. "The Wings would've gotten into the playoffs if they had only started him as a rookie in October coming off shoulder surgery ahead of schedule!"

To be clear I like Ed and thought he looked very good when he was in the lineup. He also made mistakes, as is to be expected. I think he's got the potential to be a great defenseman for the Wings. But the narrative that he would've stabilized the team enough to get them into the playoffs is fan fiction.

As is the myth that multiple players in the AHL have already surpassed the play of NHL regulars.
100%

Agree...the myth grows...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad