Playoff Watch 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Vegas
+23
Colorado
+20
Minnesota
+18
St. Louis
+2
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Maybe Colorado is sandbagging on purpose to get the matchup with Minnesota? Anyway, the Blues are starting to open a big enough lead to make this race end sooner than later.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Thank you San Jose. Up a point with 3 games in hand feels pretty nice. And for all the frustrations about our schedule being constantly altered, having our last 3 after Arizona finishes is starting to look extremely nice. We're either going to know exactly what we need to do in our last 3 games or we are going to be able to rest guys and use those as "don't get rusty" nights instead of sitting and watching other teams finish out the schedule. I think we will still have to do some work in those last 3 games to clinch a spot, but this is an undeniably good position to be in.

BluesBrother

Sep 22, 2009
Finland
If we sneak into PO’s, somehow I like our chances against COL or MIN. Being underdog is ok situation for a team like ours, and if Berube, Binner and our veteran group are hitting the confidence button, anything can happen. Regular season stats mean nothing. Of course, if we still had #27, I would like our chances a lot more, but it will be fun to see if this team is putting it together at the right time. Are we deep enough, not so sure. But, rooting for the blues, no matter what happens.. we have the cup!

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Pos
Team
PT+GRRWROWMax PTS
Vegas
+23
Colorado
+20
Minnesota
+18
St. Louis
+2
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Maybe Colorado is sandbagging on purpose to get the matchup with Minnesota? Anyway, the Blues are starting to open a big enough lead to make this race end sooner than later.
Colorado is missing some key players including grubauer who is being replaced by dubnyk and Johansson.

You replace a vezina candidate with ahl garbage in net and it's gonna have an impact.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Colorado is missing some key players including grubauer who is being replaced by dubnyk and Johansson.

You replace a vezina candidate with ahl garbage in net and it's gonna have an impact.
Not a Dubnyk fan, but he was a Vezina nominee not that long ago. But, as the Blues have proven many times, being the "top seed" in the playoffs means nothing if you're facing the right team at the right time. I'm not worried either way.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Not a Dubnyk fan, but he was a Vezina nominee not that long ago. But, as the Blues have proven many times, being the "top seed" in the playoffs means nothing if you're facing the right team at the right time. I'm not worried either way.
Dubnyk was a few years ago but he clearly isn't anymore.

His performance the last 2 seasons isn't nhl caliber. The only reason he is still in the NHL is because of his name recognition and past.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Thank you San Jose. Up a point with 3 games in hand feels pretty nice. And for all the frustrations about our schedule being constantly altered, having our last 3 after Arizona finishes is starting to look extremely nice. We're either going to know exactly what we need to do in our last 3 games or we are going to be able to rest guys and use those as "don't get rusty" nights instead of sitting and watching other teams finish out the schedule. I think we will still have to do some work in those last 3 games to clinch a spot, but this is an undeniably good position to be in.

Agree. Blues are sitting in a good spot, but they're certainly not out of the woods. A not-unfathomable 3-game losing streak corresponding with a winning streak for the Kings (next-5: ANA, @Ana, @Ana, @PHX, @PHX), and suddenly they're tied with LA. The Kings have a brutal final 5 though (COL, COL, STL, @COL, @COL).

Blues last 10: @MIN x 3, ANA x 2, @VGK x 2, @ LAK, MIN x 2
Coyotes last 7: @SJS, VGK x 2, LAK x 2, @SJS x 2
Sharks last 8: ARZ, @Col x 2, Col x 2, AZ x 2, VGK

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Coyotes lose in regulation. That means our magic number is down to 10. Combination of points or Coyote lost points!.
Magic Number Race:
Blues - 10
Coyotes - 21

Yes, some other teams are not mathematically eliminated yet so this is technically an oversimplification. But I think this single element is more instructive than the big ole chart we’ve been updating. Maybe the pessimists will have to deal with facts more directly.

Edit - oh what the hell:

Magic Number Race for teams to pass the Blues in the Final Standings:
Coyotes - 21 (6)
Sharks - 23 (7)
Kings - 26 (9)

Last edited:

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The team that has been eating at me has been the Kings, partially because we always find a way to stink the place up against them. And they were the team we did not have games in hand against. I've seen them twice recently (a loss to the Coyotes and their win the other night against the Ducks), and they look done. They are either tired or disinterested (or both). Dropping what had to be viewed as "must get" points last night against the Ducks ranks up there with the Coyotes coming out of two games with the Sharks and not moving their point total.

A week or 10 days ago all four teams in the "chase" for the final playoff spot (or away from it) were pretty awful. We have come together in the last three games. That doesn't lock things up, but honestly, as bad as the rest of this group looks, a three game hot streak could just wind up being the difference.

I hope we look back at this as "the first three games" of our hot streak, salt this thing away, and go into the playoffs on a roll.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
The team that has been eating at me has been the Kings, partially because we always find a way to stink the place up against them. And they were the team we did not have games in hand against. I've seen them twice recently (a loss to the Coyotes and their win the other night against the Ducks), and they look done. They are either tired or disinterested (or both). Dropping what had to be viewed as "must get" points last night against the Ducks ranks up there with the Coyotes coming out of two games with the Sharks and not moving their point total.

A week or 10 days ago all four teams in the "chase" for the final playoff spot (or away from it) were pretty awful. We have come together in the last three games. That doesn't lock things up, but honestly, as bad as the rest of this group looks, a three game hot streak could just wind up being the difference.

I hope we look back at this as "the first three games" of our hot streak, salt this thing away, and go into the playoffs on a roll.
The sad and strange thing is we're really sitting here worried about what Arizona or LA is doing, and whether that impacts our playoff hopes. Can't wait for a real season with real divisions again.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m going to edit this to show total point change possible for the chasers, to include Blues games and that team’s games. In other words, the maximum points that can be gained on the Magic Number if the Blues lost out and the other team won out.

Blues Magic Number: 8 (8)

Coyotes - 21 (6/28)
Sharks - 23 (7/30)
Kings - 26 (9/34)

Last edited:
Reactions: MissouriMook

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
If the Blues make the playoffs, can we do a Mortal Kombat themed avatar this year?

Mar 6, 2012
Even if Arizona wins out all 6 remaining games, we just have to play .500 hockey (8 points in 8 games) to remain ahead of them... so yeah, it's looking pretty good right now.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Blues Magic Number: 8 (8)

Coyotes - 19 (5/26)
Sharks - 23 (6/28)
Kings - 24 (8/32)

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Blues Magic Number: 6 (7)

Coyotes - 17 (4/22)
Sharks - 22 (5/24)
Kings - 23 (7/28)

The Sharks are nearly eliminated mathematically. It’s possible the Kings outlast the Coyotes, things are close between them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad