Playoff Race Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Elite teams find a way. Our injuries have also been spread out, nothing extraordinary.

I hate using the injury excuse but at some point when a team has had as many of them as we've had this season, I think it's valid and it doesn't make sense to say they haven't been a factor. Saying injuries don't matter is like saying who's on our roster doesn't matter and that sounds kind of dumb doesn't it?

This weekend we were missing our #1 goalie, our #1 Dman, an elite forward and a couple of other pieces. I think that qualifies as extraordinary.

I was being a bit over the top with my comments.

I've seen tons of posters here throw out the Games in hand argument, which is valid.

However, it seems when Leafs have games in hand those posters consider them to be losses, when other teams have games in hand they are considered wins.

Haha that's pretty dumb for sure. Too many people have an agenda and don't even try to be objective. The teams on the bubble are tightly packed so it's almost pointless saying who's in and who's out when it changes on a daily basis but I guess it's just human nature.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I hate using the injury excuse but at some point when a team has had as many of them as we've had this season, I think it's valid and it doesn't make sense to say they haven't been a factor. Saying injuries don't matter is like saying who's on our roster doesn't matter and that sounds kind of dumb doesn't it?

This weekend we were missing our #1 goalie, our #1 Dman, an elite forward and a couple of other pieces. I think that qualifies as extraordinary.

Haha that's pretty dumb for sure. Too many people have an agenda and don't even try to be objective. The teams on the bubble are tightly packed so it's almost pointless saying who's in and who's out when it changes on a daily places but I guess it's just human nature.

Exactly, changes every day drastically when it's this tight.

If they continue on their pace since Keefe, which I think is reasonable, because they have been a much better team with him as the coach, they are in for sure (Somewhere around 99-100 points).

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Seth Jones out indefinitely with an ankle injury. It will be interesting to see if the Jackets can keep their roll going without him.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Considering what Boston did last year despite being absolutely decimated by injuries, I find the excuse just that.

Boston was an outlier and not the standard.

The truth is our D is not the best in the league and losing our #1D in addition to injured #1 goalie and the other injuries had a huge impact.

That said, we aren't exactly going through a tailspin, we are playing above .600 hockey.

Chances are good for us to make the playoffs. We play the Panthers 2 more times. We own our destiny.

Reactions: qqaz and Saint Blue

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They have 2 lines at best. Pasta/Berg/Marchand obviously, then you got Krejci/Debrusk and nobody else really after that. Rask is playing phenomenal, their team defence is solid that's basically how they win. They have the best line in hockey right now and a team that knows how to play as a unit with an elite and arguably the best goalie in the league right now. That's more than enough to be a real contender.
I hate to say it because I hate da Bruins and everything associated with them. But we all better pray like mad that we don't match up with them again in round 1. It is a terrible matchup for us - the absolute worst possible one.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Boston was an outlier and not the standard.

The truth is our D is not the best in the league and losing our #1D in addition to injured #1 goalie and the other injuries had a huge impact.

That said, we aren't exactly going through a tailspin, we are playing above .600 hockey.

Chances are good for us to make the playoffs. We play the Panthers 2 more times. We own our destiny.
I find this funny since this board was overwhelming trashing Reilly this year as utter trash, now we’re lost without him. Which is it, can’t keep up? Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

PS not you necessarily but...

Reactions: willmma

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So, just curious. Is everyone ok with this team just sqeaking into the playoffs? Has the bar dropped that low on expectations for this team? I know once the playoffs start, all bets are off, but it seems people have settled into the fact that this team is average and are ok with that.

Reactions: LeafsRus

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I find this funny since this board was overwhelming trashing Reilly this year as utter trash, now we’re lost without him. Which is it, can’t keep up? Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

Somewhat like Gardner last year.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
So, just curious. Is everyone ok with this team just sqeaking into the playoffs? Has the bar dropped that low on expectations for this team? I know once the playoffs start, all bets are off, but it seems people have settled into the fact that this team is average and are ok with that.

Coming into the season, I thought the Leafs could miss the playoffs, just because this was year 1 after all the big contracts are signed. A regression is to be expected. However, I did not expect the lack of effort and the abysmal play we see from this team from time to time this year (Only 1 shot last game in the third period in Montreal). Saying that, I don't expect the team to do anything this year, but I want team to be as high in the standings as possible, so Carolina doesn't draft a super star with our pick. It'll be interesting to see happens year 2 into the big contracts, I hope we have a RHD to play with Rielly by that time.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Considering where this team was when Babcock was fired, it's more than fine.

Prorate the pace that they've played at under Keefe and they are in comfortably.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Rielly is really starting to get it this year. Playing with Barrie although terrible on results I think was a real eye opener for him. And he got a lot more practice going back and getting pucks and getting crunched. And learning how to stay up, use the boards, transfer his weight and maintain puck control with his feet. Now unfortunately he strained his hammies and maybe damaged his core muscles too but he will come back even stronger for it. It was a blessing in disguise. He will be much better if and when we face da Bruins again. Those learnings were awesome for him. He will be a much more complete player. Relying on other people to do the dirty work of a defender for him was not helping him. Offense only defense does not win you championships.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

Yes, the bar dropped tremendously when we were a sub 500 under Babcock for the first 23 games.

We were disappointed.

But we are a 667pts% team with Keefe, thats, a 109pt season. We are happy with that.

So yes we're ok with the lowered expectations.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

With the start they had, just get in at this point. Some adversity may be good for them too, rather than coasting into the playoffs but playing like hell going into it

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Going into this season, my hope was for the team to have home ice advantage come playoff time. Realistically, this is still a division with Boston and Tampa in it. Considering the current situation, I'd take yet another third place finish and the chance to make the bigger impact in the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
With the slow start and injuries to star players, the bar has definitely lowered, I'll be happy if the Leafs make the playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There are only 3 teams in both EAST and WEST which are out of playoffs. So still 25 teams fighting for playoff spots. This is parity at its best (or worst) depending how you view it.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I think the board was trashing his play this year. That doesn't change that he is our #1 and is sorely missed. At his worst, he is still more capable than Ceci/Dermott/Holl/Barrie who are getting his minutes right now.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
CBJ just lost Jones to an extended injury. Should be interesting to see if that slows them down.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hate to say it because I hate da Bruins and everything associated with them. But we all better pray like mad that we don't match up with them again in round 1. It is a terrible matchup for us - the absolute worst possible one.

BOS and TB are 1st and 3rd overall so we're in for a tough series no matter who we play. My preference depends on which one is healthiest and hottest going in, impossible to say today that TB would be an easier opponent. In fact considering how far back TB was behind BOS at one point, it would seem that they have been in better form most recently.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With BOS and TB out of reach, the Leafs need to solely worry about taking over a playoff spot in 3rd or one of the wild card spots. I really don't care where the make it.

With Florida playing in Philly tonight, and then NJ tomorrow night there is a possibility that they lose both as both Philly and NJ have been playing well lately and are both at home.

Columbus just placed Jones on IR who is their top dman. Hard to replace 25+ minutes on your blue line as we know with Reilly. They play TB tonight. Not an easy task.

As long as Florida and Columbus keep losing and we gain points in our next 2 contests against Arizona and Dallas, it will put a gap between us. That's all we can hope for and build from there.

What the Leafs have going for them is an easier schedule down the stretch. Less back to backs and less games against teams we are chasing or are chasing us. Other teams like Florida, Columbus, NYI, Philly, Carolina have tougher schedules. Columbus, NYI and Philly play each other a lot and play a lot of games against TB, BOS, PITT and WAS.

So I believe we will be all good at the end of it all. Our schedule was more difficult at the beginning of the season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
BOS and TB are 1st and 3rd overall so we're in for a tough series no matter who we play. My preference depends on which one is healthiest and hottest going in, impossible to say today that TB would be an easier opponent. In fact considering how far back TB was behind BOS at one point, it would seem that they have been in better form most recently.
I don't like us matching up with Bruins defense. Big strong fast nasty guys are not a good matchup for us. Our forwards are easily intimidated.
Tampa we can skate with them and match up with their skill. It would be fast chance vs chance type of series which we have better potential to win. Probably would come down to tenders.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't like us matching up with Bruins defense. Big strong fast nasty guys are not a good matchup for us. Our forwards are easily intimidated.
Tampa we can skate with them and match up with their skill. It would be fast chance vs chance type of series which we have better potential to win. Probably would come down to tenders.

Eh, we almost beat them the last couple of years and if we're healthy and Andersen is on his game, we're a better team now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad