Injury Report: Playoff Injury Report - McDavid Needs Abdominal Surgery, Draisaitl Broken Rib, and more!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Is this the point where we go on social media and complain for the next two months about our injured players and how we 'coulda, shoulda, woulda won if only' like Cuck fans? Nope, we will acknowledge it and move on. Credit to our guys for playing thru it and not using it as an excuse.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Unfortunately, the way this league is run is a complete farce in itself, likely the worst in Pro sports.
Every season, it's the same old broken record being played over and over again, particularly in the playoffs, with a different set of rules compared to the regular season. Didn't Mickey try to break Drai's ankle last run haha.
Team sports are all competitive, but when you deliberately try to injure your opponents, and even get away with it, with no reprocutions as to even a 2 minute minor, one must wonder about the integrity with this league. Unfortunately, we always seem to be on the short end of it. Blame all lies with the league, who have no interest in protecting their star players, ours in particular. Maybe because of our market.?
There is no sportsmanship, that shaking hands at the end of a series,(for some players not all) is just a show, BS. Drai has to shake hands with a giraffe that deliberately broke his ribs, f***off

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This link is also in the OP.

Is this the point where we go on social media and complain for the next two months about our injured players and how we 'coulda, shoulda, woulda won if only' like Cuck fans? Nope, we will acknowledge it and move on. Credit to our guys for playing thru it and not using it as an excuse.
No way. It's nice to think about what could have been if everyone was healthy, but that isn't the reality of what happens in the playoffs. Every team has injuries, so we can't rest and say, "oh, we would have won if...". We didn't. We came as close as you can get, but we didn't. And that's that.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Unfortunately, the way this league is run is a complete farce in itself, likely the worst in Pro sports.
Every season, it's the same old broken record being played over and over again, particularly in the playoffs, with a different set of rules compared to the regular season. Didn't Mickey try to break Drai's ankle last run haha.
Team sports are all competitive, but when you deliberately try to injure your opponents, and even get away with it, with no reprocutions as to even a 2 minute minor, one must wonder about the integrity with this league. Unfortunately, we always seem to be on the short end of it. Blame all lies with the league, who have no interest in protecting their star players, ours in particular. Maybe because of our market.?
There is no sportsmanship, that shaking hands at the end of a series,(for some players not all) is just a show, BS. Drai has to shake hands with a giraffe that deliberately broke his ribs, f***off
I think Mickey tried to destroy Drais leg 2 years ago. Gutless flames were slashing at it all series.

Last year was Pietro trying to lumberjack Drais arms off.

It’s the same bs every year. It’s why I roll my eyes when idiots call our team dirty. Most guys in the league stand no chance so they have to try to cheat.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Does Florida beat Boston if Bennett doesn’t injure Marchand? Teams will always try to unite the other teams best players since the punishment for doing so is minor.

Pietro tried to break Draisaitl wrist last year and only got a game.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Does Florida beat Boston if Bennett doesn’t injure Marchand? Teams will always try to unite the other teams best players since the punishment for doing so is minor.

Pietro tried to break Draisaitl wrist last year and only got a game.
That's what I'm trying to say, there is no sportsmanship, players look to injure to get an advantage, so why that "lineup" hand shaking at the end? A total joke. If anything it should be done like the NFL , players hang around to shake hands with whomever they choose to.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Really hope both are healthy to start the regular season. Really wish we had won game 7... would make everything easier to swallow.

Draisaitl must've suffered the broken rib during the Canucks series (edit: game 1 yeah, no surprise). And obviously we all know McDavid has been playing through the abdominal issue all season long.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Broken ribs make sense for why Leon looked like he had no "core" strength.

I hope McDavid is ready for the start of the season.
I said this several times before that it looked like Draisaitl had some sort of core injury. For me the big tell was the one timer down low. The way he shoots that puts a lot of torque on the body. But he never seemed comfortable letting it go.

If McDavid needs surgery then it makes his performance all the more amazing.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I said this several times before that it looked like Draisaitl had some sort of core injury. For me the big tell was the one timer down low. The way he shoots that puts a lot of torque on the body. But he never seemed comfortable letting it go.

If McDavid needs surgery then it makes his performance all the more amazing.
Again I wouldn't trust anything this person is saying, the website is quoting a complete hfboards level shitposter type. We've all known both were banged up pretty good all year/playoffs anyway.

During the PP last game, guess it was in the second period, McDavid made a perfect pass across the rink to Draisaitl. It was the textbook surefire goal. I even said out loud as I saw the lane open up on TV and McDavid moved it that direction 'that's a goal', only for Drai to completely flub it. Completely unlike him, that's a goal if he's healthy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Every season, it's the same old broken record being played over and over again, particularly in the playoffs, with a different set of rules compared to the regular season.
Didn't Mickey try to break Drai's ankle last run haha.
Yup.
I couldnt agree more with the bolded and posted about that very thing many times.
The NHL designs 2 seperate officiating templates...one for playoffs and one for regular season.
So the result of the officiating in the playoffs is that it is at the expense of superstar talent.
Its done at the expense of fast exciting hockey.

So essentially in many instances a penalty in the regular season is no longer a penalty in the playoffs.
Its a farce but there is clearly nothing thats going to be done about it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Again I wouldn't trust anything this person is saying, the website is quoting a complete hfboards level shitposter type. We've all known both were banged up pretty good all year/playoffs anyway.

During the PP last game, guess it was in the second period, McDavid made a perfect pass across the rink to Draisaitl. It was the textbook surefire goal. I even said out loud as I saw the lane open up on TV and McDavid moved it that direction 'that's a goal', only for Drai to completely flub it. Completely unlike him, that's a goal if he's healthy.

I said the exact same thing to my wife after it happened. "Drai scores on that 40% of the time when healthy", or something to that nature. Not a sure thing goal when healthy, but very high probability. So for him to not even get the shot off, was quite revealing for what he was dealing with.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup.
I couldnt agree more with the bolded and posted about that very thing many times.
The NHL designs 2 seperate officiating templates...one for playoffs and one for regular season.
So the result of the officiating in the playoffs is that it is at the expense of superstar talent.
Its done at the expense of fast exciting hockey.

So essentially in many instances a penalty in the regular season is no longer a penalty in the playoffs.
Its a farce but there is clearly nothing thats going to be done about it.

These are the reasons that I don't watch playoff hockey, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Think about last night. There was a pretty big story going around about the "once in a lifetime comeback" that the Oilers were close to achieving, led by the greatest player of his generation who was in the middle of a historic scoring run in the playoffs. There were no other sports on, so the NHL had the entire night to itself basically. So you know there were lots of first time or super casual fans tuning into the game. What did those fans see? Was it fast, exciting hockey? Nope, not even a little. It was a (if we're being unbiased) very boring, clutch/grab/hook style of game, with almost no scoring opportunities. The NHL missed a chance to win over a LOT of fans last night. The worst part, is that this is mistake the league continues to make year after year after year after year.

If a diehard hockey fan like myself can't bear to watch "playoff hockey" unless my own team is in it, what do the casual fans think? How is the NHL growing their game? It's a f***ing HUGE problem, and its just baffling to me that it doesn't get more media attention.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Really hope both are healthy to start the regular season. Really wish we had won game 7... would make everything easier to swallow.

Draisaitl must've suffered the broken rib during the Canucks series (edit: game 1 yeah, no surprise). And obviously we all know McDavid has been playing through the abdominal issue all season long.
It’s funny I watched the shift where Drai probably broke a rib, he didn’t even really react until he got to the bench. And people question his toughness…

Meanwhile the Nucks were filling the idiots refs heads with the idea that the Oilers are divers and they break a star players rib the following game. And still lost.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I don't think McDavid missing a bit of the first chunk of the season is necessarily bad. He has played a tonne of hockey and frankly could probably use some additional rest. Get him the surgery he needs (injured his obliques early on in Winnipeg from what I read according to some 'insider' on another forum with connections to upper management and just played through because of how shite they started the season) and most importantly, let him convalesce to full health. Don't rush him back.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
These are the reasons that I don't watch playoff hockey, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Think about last night. There was a pretty big story going around about the "once in a lifetime comeback" that the Oilers were close to achieving, led by the greatest player of his generation who was in the middle of a historic scoring run in the playoffs. There were no other sports on, so the NHL had the entire night to itself basically. So you know there were lots of first time or super casual fans tuning into the game. What did those fans see? Was it fast, exciting hockey? Nope, not even a little. It was a (if we're being unbiased) very boring, clutch/grab/hook style of game, with almost no scoring opportunities. The NHL missed a chance to win over a LOT of fans last night. The worst part, is that this is mistake the league continues to make year after year after year after year.

If a diehard hockey fan like myself can't bear to watch "playoff hockey" unless my own team is in it, what do the casual fans think? How is the NHL growing their game? It's a f***ing HUGE problem, and its just baffling to me that it doesn't get more media attention.
100%; it was a horrible game to watch if you had nothing invested in either team.

I thought that game 5 was by far the best. Excellent plays by both teams, McDavid playing out of his mind, the incredible diving play by Tkachuk to prevent the empty netter, and McDavid with the empty net that was an actual exciting empty net. Score was close too (4-3 before the empty netter). If the final was like that, more would watch.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think it’s interesting to know. It explains a lot in certain players. Having your best two players injured with what seems to be somewhat painful/serious injuries shows there was strong determination.

Drai’s injury really explains production dropping.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
The reports of playoff injuries are starting to trickle in. Zach Laing has reported that McDavid and Draisaitl were both injured. We already know about Kane, and Henrique earlier in the playoffs. He also mentions that Nurse may have had something going on.

Current List:

Connor McDavid - Abdominal Surgery
Leon Draisaitl - Broken Rib, Broken Finger
Evander Kane - Sports Hernia
Adam Henrique - High Ankle Sprain (weeks ago)

If you hear a confirmed report of an injury, post it here!

Guess we know why the PP went to absolute shit so quickly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If a diehard hockey fan like myself can't bear to watch "playoff hockey" unless my own team is in it, what do the casual fans think? How is the NHL growing their game? It's a f***ing HUGE problem, and it’s just baffling to me that it doesn't get more media attention.

There is a balance between the old “let them play” and “ by the letter of the rule book” as no one wants a double digit PP game. Be like 1/3 of the points in nba scored via free throws.

But refs can’t go into the game wanting to only call 2-3 penalties. Have to allow the players to dictate how many calls you have to make.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully these guys get whatever surgeries or whatever they need quick so they can get back 100% health as quickly as possible for next season.

I think the team needs to set a goal of winning the presidents trophy next season. Home ice advantage the whole way through the playoffs should be the goal. 2-1 at home in the finals. 1-3 in Florida. They were the best regular season team in the league once Knoblauch was hired, the core of the team is going to remain the same. No reason they can't be the best team in the league next season during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad