Players you thought were superstars as a kid

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Oh boy where to start. Most Habs players from late 90's to mid 2000's. Guys like Brian Savage, Richard Zednik, Sheldon Souray, Mike Komisarek. To this day, I think Zednik is in my top 5 favourite Habs players that I have seen play for the Habs. Pickings were slim when I was young :laugh:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I remember being very in to making terrible hockey highlight videos.

One of them featured "the dueling danglers", two of the guys who I thought were the league's top stickhandlers.

Pavel Datsyuk and... Mikhail Grabovski.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Felix Potvin comes to mind as does W.Clark. I still have my Potvin jersey from when I was about 6. I was absolutely convinced that he was the best.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Oilers version of Eric Brewer and Mike Comrie.

Anchor on the blueline and top line center, or so it appeared to me from some combination of self-delusion and youthful optimism.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Ed Belfour. As akid I thought he was on Brodeur/Roy level (but below Hasek of course).

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Wayne Gretzky, I mean his Rangers version... I was wondering if we have appartently "greatest player of all time", why this team is so bad, or if the team is soo bad, why isn't he playing for other team then... After all other sports (soccer and basketball) taught me that best players are all playing in top 4-5 best teams, and other teams are for peasants...

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Alexander Korolyuk.

If this guy was on Detroit or Colorado in the late 90s...he DEFINITELY would have been a superstar. The Sharks of that time were grinders who knew how to get to the playoffs, they weren't a team with offensive creativity. Alex Korolyuk was just full of raw talent and skill.

He used to get tripped and thrown down all the time, only to get back up and resume the play as if nothing happened. This guy was relentless. Too bad he never had the support that suited his playing style.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Not really as a kid anymore, but during one of my first few seasons following the NHL (around 2008/9 onwards):

Aaron Asham played for Philadelphia and in one playoff run he scored a few timely goals. I thought "well, I've never heard of this guy before, but he seems to deliver!". The Flyers eventually dropped out of the playoffs and I think they traded Asham away in the following offseason or at the next trade deadline. I always wondered why they'd just trade away such an important player.

During the next few seasons I learned that Asham really just was a bottom player who had a few good moments. :laugh:

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
As a young kid who didn't watch as much hockey as he just played the NHL games and watched Don Cherry's Rock'em Sock'ems, I thought Phil Housley, Pierre Turgeon and Dave Andreychuk were legends of the game.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I used to think Mike Vernon was a whole lot better than he really was.

Same here. My older brother is one of those fans who are fans of players and not a team, and him being a goalie he was obsessed with Vernon. So naturally I thought he was some superstar hotshot goalie.

I'll also go with Sergei Berezin.. i thought he was the ****. But now looking back at his stats, he really wasn't that great lol. It must have been the jersey tuck. I wasn't a tough sell at 8 years old lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad