Players you thought were superstars as a kid

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Have you ever believed a player was a superstar as a kid and was one of your favorite players, only later to discover he was somewhat a marginal player?

Paul Di Pietro's performance in the 1993 playoffs made him an immortal for me as a kid, I truly thought he was one of the best players, only to do figure later that he was just another player who was hot in the cup run. There are other players I believed were stars but this is the one that standout for me.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Alex Tanguay after his 2 goal performance against the New Jersey Devils. Not marginal, still was a great player, just never the player I expected him to be after that day. Tho kind of crazy because he still did put up PPG in some seasons.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Pat Elynuik

Oooh and Paul Ranheim. He was always so fast on the video games, you just assumed he was supposed to be that good.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Russ Courtnall was my favorite player as a kid and Alan Bester was my favorite goalie. Thought they were both stars.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Have you ever believed a player was a superstar as a kid and was one of your favorite players, only later to discover he was somewhat a marginal player?

Paul Di Pietro's performance in the 1993 playoffs made him an immortal for me as a kid, I truly thought he was one of the best players, only to do figure later that he was just another player who was hot in the cup run. There are other players I believed were stars but this is the one that standout for me.

All the Eastern Bloc/Finnish players that came over in the late 80's and early 90's I thought were awesome. Reijo Routsalainen, Jiri Hrdina, Sergei Starikov, Vladimir Krutov (though he was a superstar on the Red Army team) Ville Siren, Petr Klima etc. I think it's cause they had really cool names.

edit: wow...just checked Routsalainen's numbers. He had some impressive years with the Rangers, I just remembered him as an Oiler. Maybe I was smarter than I though :)

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Jordan Eberle.
I mean, this was the guy who stole the show on Hall's debut

;)

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
David Roberts.

He played for the Blues (local) and had the same last name as my first name. I would even cut out newspaper clippings of his picture and related articles :P

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Not when I was a kid, but when I got into hockey I saw the Rick Nash goal and just assumed he was one of the best players. That goal is still my favourite to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad