Players you thought were superstars as a kid

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
Alex Tanguay will always be my favourite player, especially after his Game 7 SCF performance in 2001 when I was 7. He was always a really good player. I hear he's a pretty nice guy, too.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
When I was 7 me and my friends would always play NHL 05 and fight over who got to play as Calgary because of 85 overall animal Tony Amonte. He alway managed to tear it up for some reason so I thought he was the next coming of Gretzky. Also Steve Rucchin and Sergei Samsonov are honorable mentions.

Amonte was pretty darn amazing to be honest.

BlackWallStreet

Jun 18, 2014
Brian savage lmao

Also, practice brisebois

Those are the 2 off the top of my head. Probably a bunch of other funny ones

Maybe not "superstars" but I thought they were better than they were

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Milan Kraft, after seeing him at the world junior. Scoring in shootout, if I remember correctly. Thought he was going to be a star...

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
As a kid I thought Tony Hrkac must be a star player because I read in the back of a hockey card that he had 130 points the previous season. Of course what I didn't realize was that those were minor league stats.

Also thought Bob Errey must be the best player on the Penguins since he was so fast in NHLPA 93.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
ville nieminen

after all, he was playing on a line with forsberg.

Well, the Panthers organization at least should be grateful that some mopedcar boys did the same mistake in the Hakametsä parking lot and listened to his endless stories of the glorious NHL; they just signed Henrik Haapala (left in the picture). I don't know who the other guy is.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
One of the TSN guys was saying how TJ Oshie is considered the best or one of the best players in the NHL today among non hockey following Americans.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
You didn't see much NHL hockey in Finland during late 90's and early 00's, and news coverage revolved mostly around Finnish NHL'ers, lot f my player perceptions were based on the players' IIHF WC performances, EA Sports' NHL series and hockey mags :laugh:

That might've played a role in me seeing guys like Leclair, Sykora, Langebrunner and whatnot as more elite than they actually were.

Kimmo Timonen

Oct 20, 2007
Nova Scotia
Anyone remember the hockey cards on the back of the Kraft Dinner boxes? As a kid, being on one of those cards meant you were a legend... Selanne, Jagr, Gretzky, Stumpel...

No disrespect to Jozef Stumpel, he was a good player for a long time in the NHL but he didn't quite measure up against those other names - definitely no superstar. But as far as I knew, he was on a box of KD so he must've been one of the greats.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anyone remember the hockey cards on the back of the Kraft Dinner boxes? As a kid, being on one of those cards meant you were a legend... Selanne, Jagr, Gretzky, Stumpel...

No disrespect to Jozef Stumpel, he was a good player for a long time in the NHL but he didn't quite measure up against those other names - definitely no superstar. But as far as I knew, he was on a box of KD so he must've been one of the greats.

No, this is an Act of Dio.

"You may Stumpel and you're sure to fall."

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Not really a star, and it was more tongue in cheek, but me and my old man always assured each other at the start if each season that this would be the year Tie Domi hit 20 goals haha. Back in the days when goons could actually contribute something other than face punching.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
The title says "Players you thought were superstars as a kid." Which would be Dale Hawerchuk growing up in Winnipeg in the 80s. There was no other Jets player that came close.

But in the op it says that you'd later found out that player wasn't a superstar.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
You didn't see much NHL hockey in Finland during late 90's and early 00's, and news coverage revolved mostly around Finnish NHL'ers, lot f my player perceptions were based on the players' IIHF WC performances, EA Sports' NHL series and hockey mags :laugh:

That might've played a role in me seeing guys like Leclair, Sykora, Langebrunner and whatnot as more elite than they actually were.

Leclair had three consecutive 50 goals seasons and was part of the most dominant line in hockey. Definitely one of the greatest American hockey players of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad