Players Who Peaked In A Stat Then Fell Off A Massive Cliff

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Anyone say Scott Gomez? 1000+ game career with a mere 181 goals. But 33 of those goals came in 2005/6. Never reached 20 goals in any other season. And of course the "Did Gomez Score Last Night" website.

Reactions: Kegs

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Not exactly what the thread is asking, but Joe Colborne in his first game as an Avalanche, scored a hatrick. He finished with 4 goals on the season. Yup. True story.

I remember that. A few Flames fans were mad we let him walk (especially as a Calgary born player). But by the middle of the season after that 3 goal season (I think), he retired due to concussion related issues? If management knew that or had concerns about it, it made a bit more sense why things played out that way.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I could see Zach Hyman scoring 35 goals this season. Would be a major drop off but still a really good season. Hopefully he can score 40-50 again though.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I remember that. A few Flames fans were mad we let him walk (especially as a Calgary born player). But by the middle of the season after that 3 goal season (I think), he retired due to concussion related issues? If management knew that or had concerns about it, it made a bit more sense why things played out that way.
I am not sure, but I believe he retired the season after due to concussions while playing on the affiliate team, and not the NHL team. I honestly can't even remember if he was still on the Av's, and too lazy to look it up.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I am not sure, but I believe he retired the season after due to concussions while playing on the affiliate team, and not the NHL team. I honestly can't even remember if he was still on the Av's, and too lazy to look it up.

I'm quite sure he was on the affiliate team for the Avs.

It also sticks out to me because it was around the time I started realizing how serious concussions were. There wasn't any indications he was struggling with it until his play randomly bottomed out.

Reactions: Avs2022

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad