Players Who Peaked In A Stat Then Fell Off A Massive Cliff

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I remember he got suspended in a preseason game for defending Phil Kessel after a hit or something like that. Because he jumped over the bench to stand up for him. Is it possible that set him off on the wrong foot?

When Clarkson had his big 30 goal year, I had a friend who was a Devils fan that I talked hockey with often. He wasn't a big fan of his. He would call him "Clarktard" and say he was a dumb player.

The suspension may have contributed to his poor start, but he never looked good or dangerous at all. His skating was a joke. He would fall down multiple times a game. I remember my dad watched about two games of his with Toronto and said he wouldn't be very good.

It's not like he excelled in the Dead Puck Era and then couldn't keep up in a faster, more wide open League or anything. The NHL was basically the same in 2014 as it was in 2012. I am perplexed that he had a 30 goal season to begin with. I figured he scored a lot of gift-wrapped goals and picked up a lot of garbage in 2012, but I watched a video of his goals from that year (years ago), and if I remember correctly, many of them seemed to be at ES and textbook grinder style goals. He did shoot at 13.2%, which is unusually high for him.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Not exactly what the thread is asking, but Joe Colborne in his first game as an Avalanche, scored a hatrick. He finished with 4 goals on the season. Yup. True story.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
No one mentioned Huberdeau yet?
I got you

Jonathan huberdeau
Topped out at 115 points, signed a massive contract and spent the next 8 years topping out at 55 points, people thought that was going to be the low point for him...but it turned out to be highest point total for the rest of the contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad