Players Who Became The Opposite Of What They Were?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't mean players who rounded out their games or became better two-way players over time but rather players who became completely different from and opposite to what they once were (for instance prolific goal scorers who became elite playmakers, big scorers who weren't very good defensively that became shutdown players who didn't score much, finesse players who became enforcers or tough guys etc).

From what I remember, Kadri started off as a finesse playmaker (he wasn't soft per se but was light and easy to push around and far from intimidating) and morphed into a gritty goal scorer by the end of his stint with Toronto.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Jeff O'Neill kinda went from fast, defensively responsible playmaker* to slow, fat, defensively bad sniper.
*-
1726954343884.png

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Stan Mikita from "don't tread on me" to Lady Byng.
Joe Thornton from net-driving, power forward-ish to softer playmaker type.
Sergei Gonchar from defense-less offensive defenseman to balanced two-way d-man towards the end of his career
Rick Nash from power-goal scorer, then adapted to become more of a NZ playmaker and facilitator in New York

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I don't mean players who rounded out their games or became better two-way players over time but rather players who became completely different from and opposite to what they once were (for instance prolific goal scorers who became elite playmakers, big scorers who weren't very good defensively that became shutdown players who didn't score much, finesse players who became enforcers or tough guys etc).

From what I remember, Kadri started off as a finesse playmaker (he wasn't soft per se but was light and easy to push around and far from intimidating) and morphed into a gritty goal scorer by the end of his stint with Toronto.
When it comes to Kadri, his junior playmaking didn't immediately translate to the NHL to the degree where you'd say "that's what Naz does, give him the puck, get open and watch out". Earlier Kadri was more like a comprehenively skilled forward who could create or finish if he had the puck, but a lot of his moves didn't work against real defensemen and his production was...decent.
When Babcock and Hiller arrived, they had him dial in a specific power play role, and threw he and Komarov at tough competition, and I think he responded pretty well. I think he was the same guy the whole time, but made use of his hands and chippy demeanor in a way that made sense.
Don't really know what precipitated his 59-assist outburst in his last year in Colorado, but he certainly never set guys up to that degree in Toronto.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Going more by reputation maybe (i.e. maybe he was super solid defensively), but Hamrlik was the first name that came to mind.

1st overall offensive star turned defensive star in calgary-mtl.

Joe Thornton being named is such a big turnaround he was post Bruins-Lindros for such a long time that we can forget.

Thornton missed a top 10 in goals finish by a single goal in 2003, by 3 in 2001.

Among people with 100 points or more from 01-03:

6th in pim per games, 20th in goal per games (like a Sundin-Hossa-Bertuzzi, Glen Murray, ONeil of that era, in that group just below the most elites)

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
First name that came to mind for me was Stan Mikita. Scrappy type of player who put up a lot of points and turns into a back to back Lady Byng winner. Check this out, here are his penalty minutes around his transformation:

1964: 146
1965: 154
1966: 58
1967: 12
1968: 14
1969: 52

He won the Art Ross and Hart in 1967 and 1968 as well. Had another year of 85 PIM after this, but was generally around 40-45 PIM a season the rest of his career. I have no idea what happened after 1966. Did he just feel like he was better off being on the ice as opposed to the penalty box and he cleaned up? It sure helped the Hawks in the standings, they had 94 points in 1967, far and away the best in the NHL. I am just not sure why those two seasons stick out. He didn't rack up the PIM after 1968 or anything, but he also wasn't close to having that few of PIM in a season. Either way, a heck of a transformation.

Scott Stevens was already rightly mentioned but how about Red Kelly? Guy literally changed positions despite already having a lock cinch Hall of Fame career as a defenseman. Goes onto win 4 Cups as a forward and cements himself as the player with the most Cups in NHL history of a player who never played for the Habs. And look at those playoff numbers, 1962, 1963, 1964 especially. Red was a machine on that team.

How about Yzerman? Would post-1995 or 1996 come into play here? Goes from the wild offensive numbers to being still good offensively but willingly sacrificing offense for better team play and defense. But let me also throw this in here that Yzerman was never one dimensional. Killed penalties throughout his whole career, led the NHL in shorthanded goals 3 times, etc. Blocked shots and was probably a rare star that did it. And this is all before his mid 1990s change. He just sacrificed his offense and played a more well rounded game, but I never thought he was bad defensively.

Eric Lindros after the Stevens hit was different. I'll admit though he could still fight. We saw this in 2004 when he belted Thornton and probably ironically propelled him into his own transformation. But in a bad way Lindros became a shadow of himself after 2000. This was a Lindros that played the perimeter as a New York Ranger. Not the overpowering guy that threw his body around and struck fear into everyone even without the puck. He could still fight as we know, but he very much played like a guy on the ice who didn't want to get hurt again.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
First name that came to mind for me was Stan Mikita. Scrappy type of player who put up a lot of points and turns into a back to back Lady Byng winner. Check this out, here are his penalty minutes around his transformation:

1964: 146
1965: 154
1966: 58
1967: 12
1968: 14
1969: 52

He won the Art Ross and Hart in 1967 and 1968 as well. Had another year of 85 PIM after this, but was generally around 40-45 PIM a season the rest of his career. I have no idea what happened after 1966. Did he just feel like he was better off being on the ice as opposed to the penalty box and he cleaned up? It sure helped the Hawks in the standings, they had 94 points in 1967, far and away the best in the NHL. I am just not sure why those two seasons stick out. He didn't rack up the PIM after 1968 or anything, but he also wasn't close to having that few of PIM in a season. Either way, a heck of a transformation.

According to The Hockey News' Top 100 Players of All-Time publication, Mikita was picked on and teased when he was young. He was called "DP" by his schoolmates; it was a racist epithet that stood for "Displaced Person."

The publication has a quote from him saying, "I was basically hostile and so I was rough and often downright mean. It helped me in one way because I always believed that, being a so-called DP, somebody people picked on and looked down on, I could only succeed by being better than everybody else. As a hockey player, I always tried that much harder."

It also says that after he came home from a game one night, his daughter asked him why he spent almost the whole game sitting down while the other players were skating around, and he woke up to reality, thinking that if a two-year-old could see that something was wrong, why couldn't a supposedly intelligent 26-year-old figure it out?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Guy Carbonneau was a prolific scorer in junior, and he was the top scorer on his ahl team, but he turned himself into a shutdown player very early in his career.

He may have carved a very different path somewhere else, but he recognized the niche that would fast track him on that habs roster especially under a coach like lemaire.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
jt miller in the playoffs, 2014 to 2019: 61 games, 3 goals, 23 assists, 3.2 SH%

jt miller in the playoffs after coming to vancouver: 30 games, 9 goals, 21 assists, 15.0 SH%

• Wow
Reactions: DitchMarner

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the biggest mid-career about face i think i have ever seen is sean burke. he was a classic 1980s style standup goalie, a guy blessed with a huge frame relying on his reflexes and athleticism, and he was pretty successful. more 200 wins and 500 games, over a decade as a starter. that’s longer than most careers.

then as a 33 year old he transforms into a textbook blocking goalie, using his size to play the percentages, and rattles off by far the best seasons of his career, both statistically and in terms of award recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad