Players Who Became The Opposite Of What They Were?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't mean players who rounded out their games or became better two-way players over time but rather players who became completely different from and opposite to what they once were (for instance prolific goal scorers who became elite playmakers, big scorers who weren't very good defensively that became shutdown players who didn't score much, finesse players who became enforcers or tough guys etc).

From what I remember, Kadri started off as a finesse playmaker (he wasn't soft per se but was light and easy to push around and far from intimidating) and morphed into a gritty goal scorer by the end of his stint with Toronto.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Jeff O'Neill kinda went from fast, defensively responsible playmaker* to slow, fat, defensively bad sniper.
*-
1726954343884.png

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Stan Mikita from "don't tread on me" to Lady Byng.
Joe Thornton from net-driving, power forward-ish to softer playmaker type.
Sergei Gonchar from defense-less offensive defenseman to balanced two-way d-man towards the end of his career
Rick Nash from power-goal scorer, then adapted to become more of a NZ playmaker and facilitator in New York

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I don't mean players who rounded out their games or became better two-way players over time but rather players who became completely different from and opposite to what they once were (for instance prolific goal scorers who became elite playmakers, big scorers who weren't very good defensively that became shutdown players who didn't score much, finesse players who became enforcers or tough guys etc).

From what I remember, Kadri started off as a finesse playmaker (he wasn't soft per se but was light and easy to push around and far from intimidating) and morphed into a gritty goal scorer by the end of his stint with Toronto.
When it comes to Kadri, his junior playmaking didn't immediately translate to the NHL to the degree where you'd say "that's what Naz does, give him the puck, get open and watch out". Earlier Kadri was more like a comprehenively skilled forward who could create or finish if he had the puck, but a lot of his moves didn't work against real defensemen and his production was...decent.
When Babcock and Hiller arrived, they had him dial in a specific power play role, and threw he and Komarov at tough competition, and I think he responded pretty well. I think he was the same guy the whole time, but made use of his hands and chippy demeanor in a way that made sense.
Don't really know what precipitated his 59-assist outburst in his last year in Colorado, but he certainly never set guys up to that degree in Toronto.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Joe Thornton went from a physical guy who put up big numbers a la Cam Neely to a pure finesse guy after Lindros KO'd him.

From 2001 to 2004 he had 313 pts, 441 PIM in 292 games

The Lindros fight was in 04 and after that season he barely sniffs 40 PIM in a season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad